New Transponder Comparison Table

Old September 12th 09, 04:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Default New Transponder Comparison Table

Hi,

I have recently had several inquiries for information comparing the new Trig
TT21 to the Becker ATC 4401. I have created a comparison table he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/trans...mparison_Table

Let me know if you have any suggestions for improving it.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old September 12th 09, 12:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Hi, Paul,

Very nice initial effort on the comparison table. One thing - while
you do make it clear that the Trig has a built-in encoder, and you
make clear that those transponders without encoders cost more when you
consider the encoder, you do not show the added current draw that an
encoder will add to the transponder system. Your current figures,
standby and typical, are for the transponder alone. Considering that
an ACK A-30 encoder will draw at least 0.1 amps, and can go as high as
0.4 amps, when you add those to the Becker current figures you can see
just how efficient the Trig TT21 is as a transponder system.

-John

TT21 to the Becker ATC 4401. I have created a comparison table hehttp://www.cumulus-soaring.com/trans...nder_Compariso...

Old September 12th 09, 01:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cernauta

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 22:47:50 -0500, "Paul Remde"
wrote:

Hi,

I have recently had several inquiries for information comparing the new Trig
TT21 to the Becker ATC 4401. I have created a comparison table he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/trans...mparison_Table

The factory brochure
http://www.trig-avionics.com/library/tt21brochure.pdf
indicates that this Class 2 Transponder complies with the European
rules for "flying below 15.000 ft". Was it certified for flying up to
35.000 ft in the US? Lucky guys...

thanks

Aldo Cernezzi
Old September 12th 09, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Don't know European rules, but the Trig TT21 installation manual says
in Table 3.1 that the altitude is 35,000 feet.

-John

Old September 12th 09, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi,

That is an interesting point. I wonder if Trig will update the manual with
changes to the maximum altitude when the first batch of units destined for
the US (after receiving US approvals) ships.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old September 12th 09, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi John,

Thanks for the very nice tip. I hadn't thought of adding the altitude
encoder current. It does make the TT21 even more attractive. I will add
that to my comparison table.

When including the current for the altitude encoder the TT21 uses less than
half the current. Wow!

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

Old September 12th 09, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

"jcarlyle" wrote in message

Don't know European rules, but the Trig TT21 installation manual says
in Table 3.1 that the altitude is 35,000 feet.

-John

On Sep 12, 8:08 am, cernauta wrote:
The factory brochurehttp://www.trig-avionics.com/library/tt21brochure.pdf
indicates that this Class 2 Transponder complies with the European
rules for "flying below 15.000 ft". Was it certified for flying up to
35.000 ft in the US? Lucky guys...

Unless I am missing something the TT21 is a "Class 2 Level 2"
transponder. The Class 2 part that means it is technically limited to
15,000' and VFR. With 130W nominal (**at the connector**) these
transponders are clearly not intended to meet the 125W ERP (Effective
Radiated Power) requirement requirement for Class 1 (above 15,000'
use).

It is anybody's guess what the "Altitude 35,000'" in the spec tables
in the documentation is supposed to mean. It is an sloppily written
spec, either way is it "Maximum Altitude?" Maximum for what? It could
be the maximum operating altitude of the electronics, ignoring the
transponder is technically not certified for use above 15,000'. It
could be the maximum range of the altitude encoder. It is anybody's
guess what it means.

This certified altitude Class 1 vs. Class 2 issue has been discussed
here before, it is something that should not be driving decisions
IMNSHO. The important thing is to install and use a transponder in
areas of high traffic/mixed jet traffic (like around Reno) and the
Trigg TT21 looks an excellent choice.

Darryl
Old September 12th 09, 05:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

"jcarlyle" wrote in message

[...]

Oops I should have said 125 W peak power not ERP.

Darryl
Old September 12th 09, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Melville[_2_]

As a very uneducated pilot,following Paul Remdes suggestions, I was
considering buying a Transponder mode S but then various people said local
airports didnt have mode S yet so it woulld be a waste of time for some
time to come..is this true?
If I buy mode S can it be accessed/ used by the current systems?
Some easy to understand stuff would be most welcome!
Regards from UK

At 16:36 12 September 2009, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Sep 12, 9:12=A0am, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Sep 12, 6:49=A0am, "Paul Remde" wrote:

Hi,

That is an interesting point. =A0I wonder if Trig will update the

=
for
the US (after receiving US approvals) ships.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

"jcarlyle" wrote in message

..=

..

[...]

here before, it is =A0something that should not be driving decisions

Old September 12th 09, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Dickson[_2_]

If you are thinking of buying a transponder, Paul, you should buy a mode S
transponder. You are correct that a lot of the ATC units you may contact
will not be Mode S equipped, but they will still recieve the mode A and
mode C (4 digit assigned code and altitude). Buying a non-mode S
transponder would be a waste of money, as you will need it to enter
certain areas and types of airspace in the UK. A transponder mandatory
zone means a mode S transponder mandatory zone.

Crossover table? trailgalore Piloting 1 February 15th 08 12:33 AM
Airspeed comparison table grubertm Piloting 6 August 31st 05 11:10 PM
diesel engines for general aviation - small comparison table max Home Built 2 August 29th 05 08:19 PM
Help requested with Soaring Flight Software Comparison Table Paul Remde Soaring 25 September 3rd 04 07:16 AM