Is a BFR instruction?

Old December 10th 03, 03:01 AM
Roger Long

Default Is a BFR instruction?

If a CFI owns and airplane and gives primary or instrument instruction in
it, it has to be on a 100 hour inspection cycle since he is providing the
aircraft for instruction.

How about if he only uses it to give BFR's? Does that put it under the 100
inspection requirement?

--
Roger Long

Old December 10th 03, 04:54 AM
BTIZ

It seems that about every BFR I have received.. it was logged as Dual
received.

FAR61.56 ... "a flight review consist of a minimum of one hour of flight
training and one hour of ground training ... "

looks like training to me.. sooo...

BT

"Roger Long" om wrote in
message ...

Old December 10th 03, 07:12 AM
Peter Duniho

"Roger Long" om wrote in
message ...
[...]
How about if he only uses it to give BFR's? Does that put it under the

100
inspection requirement?

My understanding is that the inspection requirement stems from the
commercial nature of the operation, not the instructional nature. So, while
I personally consider a BFR to be instruction, whether it is or not is
irrelevant for this question.

Pete

Old December 10th 03, 01:40 PM
Jim

A minimum of 1 hour ground training and 1 hour flight training is required
for a BFR, if the BFR is not successful, it is logged as training only
without the BFR endorsement. So no matter if the student passes or fails
the BFR, it is still training received and if the CFI involved is the
supplier of the airplane, the airplane must comply with the 100 hour
inspection rule.
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply

"Roger Long" om wrote in
message ...

Old December 10th 03, 04:29 PM
Ron Natalie

"Roger Long" om wrote in message ...
..

How about if he only uses it to give BFR's? Does that put it under the 100
inspection requirement?

BFR's are explicitly instruction.

Old December 10th 03, 04:30 PM
Ron Natalie

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message ...
"Roger Long" om wrote in
message ...
[...]
How about if he only uses it to give BFR's? Does that put it under the

100
inspection requirement?

My understanding is that the inspection requirement stems from the
commercial nature of the operation, not the instructional nature. So, while
I personally consider a BFR to be instruction, whether it is or not is
irrelevant for this question.

It is quite relevent. The BFR is specifically an at least an hour of ground and an hour
of flight instruction. The rule on 100 hours specifically covers flight instructors giving
instruction in their own aircraft.

By the way, it's not a 100 hours, it's a 100 hour or ANNUAL inspection in the last
100 hours. Our club NEVER did 100 hour inspections. We just did annuals every
few months.

Old December 10th 03, 05:32 PM
Robert M. Gary

The FARs require, "1 hour of flight training" for a CFI signed BFR. My
understanding is any plane used for training requires a 100 hour if
there is a charge for the airplane time. I suppose you could get away
by not charging for the airplane. The bigger issue is insurance. If I
give instruction to anyone in my plane that is not an owner of the
plane (named on the policy) there is no insurance. So if you forget
the landing gear and you have a student in the left seat (yes, seat
position does make a difference to the insurance companies) there is
no coverage.

Old December 10th 03, 06:35 PM
Peter Duniho

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
. ..
It is quite relevent. The BFR is specifically an at least an hour of

ground and an hour
of flight instruction. The rule on 100 hours specifically covers flight

instructors giving
instruction in their own aircraft.

I suppose I should have been more specific. This is Usenet, after all.

You'll note that 91.409 reads "...no person may give flight instructor FOR
HIRE..." (emphasis mine). In other words, it is not the flight instruction
itself that's a problem, it's the flight instruction as a commercial
operation that requires the inspection every 100 hours.

By the way, it's not a 100 hours, it's a 100 hour or ANNUAL inspection in

the last
100 hours. Our club NEVER did 100 hour inspections. We just did

annuals every
few months.

True, and a good point. However, I didn't see anyone say that a specific
100 hour inspection was required. Roger asked about "a 100 hour inspection
cycle", which to me simply refers to the requirement that some qualified
inspection is required in the last 100 hours.

Pete

Old December 11th 03, 12:27 AM
Roger Long

More than one A&P has pointed out to me that there is no difference between
a 100 hour and an annual inspection. We've considered going to 100 hour
inspections and our shop suggested that, since the more frequent interval
was voluntary, he could sign them off as annual inspections. That way we
wouldn't be in a jam if weather or shop load prevented us from getting an
inspection done on time.

We have everything done on the engine that is usually done at an annual
about every 150 hours or twice a year. We also have additional inspections
and tune ups done from time to time.

--
Roger Long

Old December 11th 03, 01:21 AM
Ron Natalie

"Roger Long" om wrote in
message ...
More than one A&P has pointed out to me that there is no difference

between
a 100 hour and an annual inspection.

The only difference is that the annual must be done by an IA...any A&P can
do an 100hour.

Mountain flying instruction: McCall, Idaho, Colorado too! [email protected] General Aviation 0 March 26th 04 11:24 PM
Flight Instruction: Then and Now ArtKramr Military Aviation 32 March 10th 04 02:18 AM
Sim time loggable? [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 12 December 6th 03 07:47 AM
Flight Instruction Chris Piloting 3 August 19th 03 01:42 PM
Flight Instruction Chris General Aviation 0 August 19th 03 03:08 AM