when does a "remain clear" instruction end?

Old February 15th 04, 04:07 AM
Tom Fleischman

In article et,
Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

The reason the AIM doesn't say that is because that's not the way it is.
Once told to remain clear you must remain clear until receipt of an
instruction that permits entry.

The O.P. stated that after recieving a beacon code and being told to
remain clear the controller then called him back and asked some
questions. That sounds like he was setting up a progress strip for VFR
advisories for him. He said he thought the controller also may have
acknowleged radar contact. I think an acknowlegement of radar contact
would then permit entry to Class C. All you need to enter Class C is a
Mode C transponder and two-way radio communications. You do not need to
be "cleared into" Class C.

Would you not agree?
Old February 15th 04, 04:15 AM
Tom Fleischman

Without knowing what exactly was said by the controller on the second
call we can go around and around on this until the cows come home and
not come to a definate conclusion about whether he was legal to
proceed. Any debate is really meaningless without knowlege of exactly
what was said by the controller on the second call.

In article , Maule
Driver wrote:

"Dennis O'Connor" wrote in message

"Maule Driver" wrote in message
m...
Even though I think there is some grey area here, I agree with the

overly
curt but usually accurate Steven.

One of the things expressed by the folks I talked to; they get frustrated

by
pilots who enter the system and do not understand the most basic of rules,
even when the controller uses the exact phrasing that the AIM calls out...
As the one said, "I'm here for safety of flight, not to be your CFI..."
denny

I'm sure it is frustrating. But the answer to the original question
remained murky to me. So I too went back to the FARs and the AIM. My
understanding now is that you are correct Dennis. The pilot was legal but
the sequence of communciations from ATC was confusing. And getting to that
conclusion was not straightforward.

ATC had issued a "remain clear" before departure. And the implication in
the original post was the the tail number was used since a squawk code was
issued before the departure.

Steven stated, "Once told to memain clear you must remain clear until the
controller issues an instruction that permits entry." As a practical
matter, I would agree. But Dennis goes on to state, "...he has established
radio contact which is 'the clearance to enter'...So, I asked both(FAA
types) , wouldn't you tell the pilot that he is now 'cleared to enter the
C', to avoid confusion.. They both replied that there is no
confusion... The clearance to enter a Class C airspace is establishing radio
contact using the tail number exactly as spelled out in the AIM." I say
b*** s*** to the FAA types.

I would counter that the AIM is not regulatory and that an ATC communication
using your tail number is not always a clearance to enter. An example
would be where per the AIM, ATC says "1234Alpha, remain outside Class
Charlie and standby". Then follows with a "1234 Alpha traffic 11 oclock
3,000feet". I would maintain that I've been told to remain clear and that
the subsequent tail number identified communication *does not* clear me to
enter. I would still be waiting for an instruction that permits entry.

So, if a pilot has been told to remain clear and identified by tail number,
then he should remain clear until given an instruction that permits entry.
A vector would do the trick. Legally, a 'radar contact and altimeter' would
probably keep you out of jail but would be a bit stupid. Any frustration by
ATC is misguided. A simple "...and proceed direct xxx" would do. I've been
in this situation and in that particular case each traffic advisory was
accompanied by the repeated instruction to 'remain clear'. Now that was
clear!

But in this case, the key is that the "remain clear" was issued before
departure and therefore doesn't play a part in subsequent communications
after departure. There's no requirement to establish communications from an
underlying airport before departure so any radio contact established before
departure shouldn't be considered qualification to enter the Class C. By
the same token, the admonishment to remain clear of Class C issued before
departure is meaningless once one has departed. If one establishes radio
contact after departure, then one is cleared to enter just as the original
poster did.

It's clear to me now but it certainly isn't clear "according to the most
basic of rules".Nor is it clear to the well trained pilot in actual flight.
Otherwise their wouldn't be so much confusion on the part of so many
knowledgeable people on this newsgroup.

Thanks for an excuse to study the FAR/AIM.

Old February 15th 04, 01:40 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Dennis O'Connor" wrote in message

Ahh jeez, Steven... Firstly, because the question was not one for which
there is a pat answer in the AIM, I researched my answer before giving
it... A habit more people on here could benefit from... And, even though
I couched my answer in gentle terms, it is the correct regulatory answer,
not a guess...

Your answer is wrong, and the AIM is not regulatory.

As I commented, I don't see specific phrase in the AIM for the
controller to use for clearing an aircraft into the Class C after being
told to stand clear - and it might be a good idea...

Specific phrases for controller usage are found in FAA Order 7110.65, but
there is no phrase like "cancel your last instruction and now comply with
this instruction", nor should there be. Previous instructions are simply
overridden by subsequent instructions. For example, an aircraft may have
been instructed to "fly heading 360", and a bit later is instructed to "turn
right heading 020". The 360 heading isn't cancelled prior to the issuance
of the 020 heading, the 360 heading is simply overridden by the 020 heading.

But I could still be wrong, so I just polled both the Supervisor of a
Class C airspace, and I polled the supervisor of the Michigan FSDO...
Both agree that the AIM is correct... A pilot is cleared into the class
C when the controller establishes radio contact using the tail number;
and does not instruct him to remain clear... Nothing more is required...

That's true, but that's not what happened in this case. In this case the
pilot was instructed to remain clear of the Class C airspace.

So, on the first call the pilot was told, "Aircraft calling remain clear
of Charlie?, or "November 1234 remain clear of Class Charlie.",
or words to that effect... Fine, we all agree he is to remain clear...
Now the controller calls a bit later and says something to the effect,
"November 1234, radar contact 8 miles east of xyz, altimeter 30
point 00", or some variation and shuts up - because he has
established radio contact which is 'the clearance to enter'...

Wrong. Radio contact was established when the controller said, "November
1234 remain clear of Class Charlie."

So, I asked both, wouldn't you tell the pilot that he is now 'cleared to
enter the C', to avoid confusion.. They both replied that there is no
confusion... The clearance to enter a Class C airspace is establishing
radio contact using the tail number exactly as spelled out in the AIM..

Yes, if nothing else is said that is correct. But in this case the aircraft
was instructed to remain clear of Class C airspace and that instruction
remains in effect until some instruction is issued that permits entry.

Old February 15th 04, 02:07 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Maule Driver" wrote in message
news

I'm sure it is frustrating. But the answer to the original question
remained murky to me. So I too went back to the FARs and the
AIM. My understanding now is that you are correct Dennis. The
pilot was legal but the sequence of communciations from ATC was confusing.

And getting to that conclusion was not straightforward.

The answer to the original question, "when does the 'remain clear of class C
airspace' instruction end?", is clear, it ends when overridden by another
instruction.

ATC had issued a "remain clear" before departure. And the implication

in the original post was the the tail number was used since a squawk code
was issued before the departure.

Steven stated, "Once told to memain clear you must remain clear until the
controller issues an instruction that permits entry." As a practical
matter, I would agree. But Dennis goes on to state, "...he has
established radio contact which is 'the clearance to enter'...So, I
asked both (FAA types), wouldn't you tell the pilot that he is now
'cleared to enter the C', to avoid confusion.. They both replied that
there is no confusion... The clearance to enter a Class C airspace is
establishing radio contact using the tail number exactly as spelled out
in the AIM." I say b*** s*** to the FAA types.

Radio contact was established when the aircraft was still on the ground, at
the same time the controller said "after departure remain clear of the class
C airspace". Establishing radio contact without an instruction to remain
clear of Class C airspace permits entry, establishing radio contact with an
instruction to remain clear does not permit entry.

I would counter that the AIM is not regulatory and that an ATC
communication using your tail number is not always a clearance
to enter. An example would be where per the AIM, ATC says
"1234Alpha, remain outside Class Charlie and standby". Then
follows with a "1234 Alpha traffic 11 oclock 3,000feet". I would
maintain that I've been told to remain clear and that
the subsequent tail number identified communication *does not*
clear me to enter. I would still be waiting for an instruction that
permits entry.

Exactly.

So, if a pilot has been told to remain clear and identified by tail
number, then he should remain clear until given an instruction that
permits entry. A vector would do the trick. Legally, a 'radar
contact and altimeter' would probably keep you out of jail but
would be a bit stupid.

Radar contact and an altimeter does not override an instruction to remain
clear of Class C airspace and neither is an entry requirement.

But in this case, the key is that the "remain clear" was issued before
departure and therefore doesn't play a part in subsequent
communications after departure.

You've got it backwards. Before departure the aircraft is on the ground
outside of Class C airspace. "Remain clear" can only apply after departure.

There's no requirement to establish communications from an
underlying airport before departure so any radio contact established
before departure shouldn't be considered qualification to enter the
Class C.

Why not? There's no requirement to establish radio contact 40 miles from
the Class C boundary but if one does so then one is permitted entry.

By the same token, the admonishment to remain clear of Class C
issued before departure is meaningless once one has departed.

Actually, it is meaningful only after departure. It isn't meaningful before
departure because it isn't possible to enter the Class C airspace without
departing.

If one establishes radio contact
after departure, then one is cleared to enter just as the original
poster did.

Not if one has been instructed to remain clear.

It's clear to me now but it certainly isn't clear "according to the most
basic of rules".

It doesn't sound like it's clear to you yet.

Old February 15th 04, 02:10 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Gary Drescher" wrote in message

Well, suppose the pilot returns tomorrow and establishes two-way
communication with the Class C controller. Yesterday's remain-clear
instruction still has not been explicitly rescinded. So is it still in
effect, or can the pilot now enter the Class C?

What happened yesterday? Why didn't the pilot respond to the controller's
calls?

Old February 15th 04, 02:14 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Maule Driver" wrote in message
m...

I think you are getting to the heart of the matter. The key is that the
"remain clear' was issued before departure. It is a meaningless
admonishment by ATC. They can't clear you to enter before departure
anymore than they need to tell you to remain clear.

Meaningless before departure, meaningful after departure.

What it is really meant to convey is that "just because you are about
ready to depart and we've made radio contact with N-numbers, don't
think it means that radio contact has been established for the purpose
of entering my Class C - let's talk after you depart"

What it really means is "remain outside Class C airspace until I say
something that permits entry."

Old February 15th 04, 02:16 PM
Travis Marlatte

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
news

[...]

Steven, just as you said that the previous instructions would not be
explicitly cancelled, so too is the "remain clear." Using the tail number -
especially with the phrase "radar contact" - definitely makes it for me. I
would enter the Class C.

I would expect the following phrases to keep me clear of the Class C - 1)
"aircraft calling NE of class C, where did you say you wanted to go?" or 2)
Cessna 1234, continue to remain clear of the class C airspace. What are your
intentions?"

I would find this one confusing "Cessna 1234, where did you say you wanted
to go?" It uses the tail number which is enough but indicates that the
controller is still trying to figure out what to do with me. I would
question whether that establishes radio contact to enter the Class C.

The point should be that this isn't a game to try to fool the controller
into saying something that unknowingly grants permission. When in doubt,
double check.

-------------------------------
Travis

Old February 15th 04, 02:16 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Maule Driver" wrote in message
m...

Except in this case, the "remain clear" was issued before a
VFR departure and is meaningless.

Why is it meaningless? What gives you the idea that an aircraft cannot be
told to remain clear of Class C airspace prior to departure?

Conversely, if the ATC and the pilot established radio
contact with tail number ID included *just before departure*, it does not
mean that the pilot is cleared to depart and enter the Class C.

Why not?

That radio contact and it's implied clearance is equally meaningless. The
communications aren't meaningful until the pilot is in flight.

Why is it meaningless? It meets the entry requirements.

Old February 15th 04, 02:20 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Tom Fleischman" wrote in message
rthlink.net...

The O.P. stated that after recieving a beacon code and being told to
remain clear the controller then called him back and asked some
questions. That sounds like he was setting up a progress strip for VFR
advisories for him. He said he thought the controller also may have
acknowleged radar contact. I think an acknowlegement of radar contact
would then permit entry to Class C. All you need to enter Class C is a
Mode C transponder and two-way radio communications. You do not
need to be "cleared into" Class C.

Would you not agree?

"Radar contact" does not override the instruction to remain clear of the
Class C airspace.

Old February 15th 04, 02:21 PM
Travis Marlatte

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Maule Driver" wrote in message
m...

What it is really meant to convey is that "just because you are about
ready to depart and we've made radio contact with N-numbers, don't
think it means that radio contact has been established for the purpose
of entering my Class C - let's talk after you depart"

What it really means is "remain outside Class C airspace until I say
something that permits entry."

These are both right. Using the tail number is enough to establish radio
contact and grants permission to enter the Class C. That is exactly why the
extra "remain clear of the Class C" was included in the departure clearance.
If the tail number were not enough, then that would not be necessary.

After departure, the tail number and a radar contact are enough radio
contact to enter the class C. If the controller needed something different,
it would be added as a "Cessna 1234, radar contact, remain clear of the
class C."

Travis