Pee tube system for ASW-27

Old May 16th 05, 06:57 PM
KP

Default Pee tube system for ASW-27

Hi All
Like to install a relief tube system in my ASW-27 and looking for some
ideas.

Ken (KP)

Old May 16th 05, 10:57 PM
Glen Kelley

Hi,

I have a system in my PIK-20 that works very well. I installed a brass tube
that has the appropriate ID to slip over a carbon fiber aerrow shaft. I
drilled a hole in the fuselage floor behind the stick and through the
outside of the aircraft. I then epoxied the brass tube in the hole and cut
to be flush on the bottom of the aircraft and the seat floor. One end of
the arrow shaft is cut at a slant to create suction in the airstream. The
other end of the arrow shaft is glued into a model airplane fuel bulb (looks
like a turkey baster bulb, but has a much smaller opening at the bottom.
You will have to size the arrow shaft so that you can insert into the brass
tube with the canopy closed. In my ship, this results in an arrow shaft
that is 20" long. The rear of the fuel bulb has a hole cut in it to provide
a friction fit (seal) around your willie.

When done, I flush it with a little water put a piece of paper towel in the
opening, and stow the assembly. Oh, And I use a bit of mylar over the exit
hole so that the hole is sealed unless the arrow shaft pushes the mylar out
of the way.

Works great - no muss, no fuss, no catheters and no yellow stains anywhere
on my ship.

Glen Kelley
oups.com...

Old May 17th 05, 03:44 AM
bumper

I did a similar system on my ASH26e. Be aware that tubular composite kite
spar material is available in many nesting diameters. So you don't have to
use a brass or other metal outer tube. A larger composite tube is both
lighter and will glass in better. The you can use a smaller kite spar tube
for the stiff pee tube to extend out.

If the larger tube is installed at an angle aft, then there's no need to cut
the end of the extended tube at an angle to insure suction.

If the larger tube ends at the seat pan, and in an area that's hard to see
due to the seat cushion (like just aft of the stick), then you can install a
guide "V" to make it easy to install the smaller extension tube in flight. I
did this using a V made of stainless steel welding rod fixed to the seat pan
with some UHMW polyethylene tape.

If there's interest, I can post some pictures to the glider forum on this.

bumper

Old May 18th 05, 06:05 PM
Avron

bumper wrote:

If there's interest, I can post some pictures to the glider forum on

this.

Please do.

Old May 18th 05, 06:40 PM
BB

The factory installs a pee tube by drilling a hole in the seat pan just
behind the stick. They route the tube to the right aft landing gear
door. Find a 27 with the factory option installed and you'll see one
system that works for sure.

John Cochrane

Old May 18th 05, 08:16 PM

John,

Sorry to say the factory installation does not work for the following
reasons:
1. The tube comes through the seat pan under the right thigh not in
the center. This causes the tube to be crushed so that flow is
restricted.
2. The tube running down the right side then into the gear well and
onto the aft end of the right gear door has two uphill points ( or high
points ). The Germans must have great nossel pressure. The
corresponding low points leave liquid in the tube with air in between.
The suction created by the tube at the gear door never removes all the
fluid. This requires a pretty good liquid pressure to move the low
point liquid and air out. This can cause a "blow off" of the condom
and if one uses a funnel, it has to be held up close to the top of the
pannel.
Tom
Idaho

Old May 18th 05, 10:21 PM
Udo Rumpf

I had a 27 type system in my first glider and I agree it does not work well.
In my second glider I went straight down with a larger guide tube
and a smaller one to slide in and out, which worked much better.
In my third iteration, which happens to be an ASW24, I use the same
approach but with improvements.

First a guide tube, having an even bent starting flush at the seat pan
and 90 deg. to the contour of the seat pan.
The hole is at the 4 o'clock position at the stick opening of the seat pan.
It clears the thigh even when the knees are tight together against the
instrument column.
The radius of the guide tube is such that the telescoping tube exist the
bottom of the belly at about a 20-25 deg. angle. The inner tube
(telescoping) continues to make a curve free of the guide tube and points
almost back wards when the glider is not flying.
When flying I am sure it will point back. The tube, in that position on the
ground,
is about 5" from belly skin. When retracted the belly is nice and flush.
The system works well with a bulb type funnel and catheter.
After a five day contest there will be some residue but no intrusion into
the
gear well. There is no streaking hence no fluid running along the skin.
From the catheter I hook directly to the quick disconnect from there a short
latex tube for max flex without kinking, and then onto the stiffer tube of
about 10"
It all can be retracted if desired.
Regards
Udo

ups.com...

Old May 19th 05, 12:23 AM
BB

My factory pee tube works great. You have to route it correctly under
the seat pan if you take the seat pan out for an annual. If you install
a t that lets air into the system, you can blow out any remaining
liquid.

John Cochrane

Old May 19th 05, 05:11 AM
bumper

"Avron" wrote in message
oups.com...
bumper wrote:

If there's interest, I can post some pictures to the glider forum on

this.

Please do.

Okay, I posted some pics to the glider forum. Look in albums by "bumper"
/relief system. Or try:

http://www.gliderforum.com/photos/ph...sp?albumid=128

all the best,

bumper

Air defense (naval and air force) Mike Military Aviation 0 September 18th 04 04:42 PM
Naval air defense Mike Naval Aviation 0 September 18th 04 04:42 PM
Air Force Helper 2000 tomcat Naval Aviation 0 June 9th 04 11:54 PM