Victor Airways in Clearance

Old January 14th 04, 07:59 PM
Jeff

it would be easier if by using a data link that ATC could just punch a button on
their computer and it would load into your flight plan into your GPS.

now there is a good invention for some brainyack to invent.

C J Campbell wrote:

"Wyatt Emmerich" wrote in message

| My point being: It would be a heck of a lot easier for Garmin 530 users if
| ATC would dispense with the airway part of the clearance and just route us
| base on waypoints.

It would be even easier if some genius would put the airways into the
database so you could program the GPS just the way the clearance was given.

Old January 14th 04, 08:10 PM
Peter R.

Jeff ) wrote:

it would be easier if by using a data link that ATC could just punch a
button on their computer and it would load into your flight plan into
your GPS.

now there is a good invention for some brainyack to invent.

Could you just imagine how many years something like this would take to get
certified?

--
Peter

Old January 14th 04, 08:18 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Peter R." wrote in message
Jeff ) wrote:

it would be easier if by using a data link that ATC could just punch a
button on their computer and it would load into your flight plan into
your GPS.

now there is a good invention for some brainyack to invent.

Could you just imagine how many years something like this would take to

get
certified?

Such a thing has been certified for years, it is the data link.

For GA, it is part of LAAS and in process.

Old January 14th 04, 09:57 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message

"Peter R." wrote in message
Jeff ) wrote:

it would be easier if by using a data link that ATC could just punch a
button on their computer and it would load into your flight plan into
your GPS.

now there is a good invention for some brainyack to invent.

Could you just imagine how many years something like this would take to

get
certified?

Such a thing has been certified for years, it is the data link.

For GA, it is part of LAAS and in process.

Now if they could just send you your clearance that way instead of having to
write it down...

Old January 14th 04, 10:01 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Peter R." wrote in message
Jeff ) wrote:

it would be easier if by using a data link that ATC could just punch

button on their computer and it would load into your flight plan

into
your GPS.

now there is a good invention for some brainyack to invent.

Could you just imagine how many years something like this would take

get
certified?

Such a thing has been certified for years, it is the data link.

For GA, it is part of LAAS and in process.

Now if they could just send you your clearance that way instead of having

write it down...

LAAS is VHF digital radio and I see no reason why an integrated VHF radio
GPS combo could not do that.

Old January 15th 04, 12:13 AM
Larry Fransson

On 2004-01-14 13:57:49 -0800, "Tom Sixkiller" said:

Now if they could just send you your clearance that way instead of having

write it down...

They can. It's called ACARS.

--
Larry Fransson
Seattle, WA
Old January 15th 04, 12:23 AM
SeeAndAvoid

The point of ModeS and Datalink was for this, communication-less ATC.
That's where many of the mistakes occur, readback/hearback errors. First
heard about this at least 10 years ago. But the idea was a display/printout
of a clearance, not having that clearance go directly into the GPS/FMS.
Do we really want that? Maybe after accepting it, then pasting it over into
your flight plan.

As far as why ATC assigns airways to GPS equipped a/c, going to be that way
for a while still in non-radar areas. Also facilities with their Letters Of
Agreements specify proceduralized routes, some victor airways. Airways are
much easier to issue than a few VOR's and lots of intersections and
waypoints. This problem needs to be solved from the manufacturers.

Chris

Old January 15th 04, 12:26 AM
karl

****now there is a good invention for some brainyack to invent.*****

We already do that on the Falcon 50EX

Karl

Old January 15th 04, 04:55 AM
Jeff

this is all something that probably will never be available for GA?

Old January 15th 04, 04:56 AM
Jeff

does it work pretty good?