fatal bird strike

Old July 10th 03, 04:52 AM
StellaStar

Default fatal bird strike

"A flight instructor and a student died Tuesday after their
single-engine Cessna struck a bird and crashed near Frisco, officials
said.

Which local paper? It isn't in the preliminary reports...
http://www2.faa.gov/avr/aai/A_0708_Y.txt

Old July 10th 03, 05:30 AM
Aardvarks

StellaStar wrote:
"A flight instructor and a student died Tuesday after their
single-engine Cessna struck a bird and crashed near Frisco, officials
said.

Which local paper? It isn't in the preliminary reports...
http://www2.faa.gov/avr/aai/A_0708_Y.txt

http://www.nbc5i.com/news/2318501/detail.html

WW

Old July 10th 03, 05:00 PM
Ron Natalie

"StellaStar" wrote in message ...

"A flight instructor and a student died Tuesday after their
single-engine Cessna struck a bird and crashed near Frisco, officials
said.

Which local paper? It isn't in the preliminary reports...
http://www2.faa.gov/avr/aai/A_0708_Y.txt

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: 166ME Make/Model: C172 Description: 172, P172, R172, Skyhawk, Hawk
Date: 07/08/2003 Time: 1644

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: Fatal Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Substantial

LOCATION
City: FRISCO State: TX Country: US

DESCRIPTION
ACFT REPORTED A MAYDAY AFTER LOSING CONTROL DUE TO A BIRD STRIKE, AND
CRASHED, TWO PERSONS ON BOARD WERE FATALLY INJURED, FRISCO, TX

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 2
# Crew: 2 Fat: 2 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Pass: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: TKI 1553 UTC 18009KT 150V210 10SM BKN022 29/23 A3113

OTHER DATA
Activity: Training Phase: Cruise Operation: General Aviation

Departed: ADDISON AIRPORT, DAL Dep Date: 07/08/2003 Dep. Time: 1632
Destination: ADDISON AIRPORT Flt Plan: UNK Wx Briefing: U
Last Radio Cont: 2 MILES W OF AERO COUNTRY
Last Clearance: NO CONTROL INSTRUCTIONS PROVIDED

FAA FSDO: DALLAS, TX (SW05) Entry date: 07/09/2003

Old July 10th 03, 09:25 PM
Big John

On last flight in a 337 a few years ago, I ran into two big buzzards
(6-8 ft wing span 20-30 lbs) just west of Houston. By adroit flying
kept one from comming through the prop and into the cockpit and
thought I would miss other but he folded his wings and dropped and I
hit him about 10 feet out on the wing causing major visable damage
from cockpit. Very carefully flew back and landed safely. Inspection
showed major internal damage to structure of wing. Just lucky I guess
that all held together.

As I have said prior, I'd rather be lucky than good ) Of course
both are better than only one.

Big John
Point of the sword

On 9 Jul 2003 07:14:36 -0700, (RM) wrote:

From the local newspaper:

"A flight instructor and a student died Tuesday after their
single-engine Cessna struck a bird and crashed near Frisco, officials
said. A Federal Aviation Administration official said air traffic
controllers received three maydays from the pilot."

It was a Monarch Air Skyhawk, their new Millenium Edition one.
An accompanying photo showed the smashed plane in an open field.

Old July 11th 03, 02:11 AM
Craig

Big John wrote in message . ..
On last flight in a 337 a few years ago, I ran into two big buzzards
(6-8 ft wing span 20-30 lbs) just west of Houston. By adroit flying
kept one from comming through the prop and into the cockpit and
thought I would miss other but he folded his wings and dropped and I
hit him about 10 feet out on the wing causing major visable damage
from cockpit. Very carefully flew back and landed safely. Inspection
showed major internal damage to structure of wing. Just lucky I guess
that all held together.

As I have said prior, I'd rather be lucky than good ) Of course
both are better than only one.

I had the misfortune to have to do the temporary repairs on a
friend/client's T-28 at an airshow a few years ago. Struck an egrett
during a high speed pass at the show. It took me over 5 hours to
remove all the bits and pieces of the bird that we could from in front
of the main spar and from out of the small lightening hole in the spar
that it went through. Three months later when we did an annual on the
a/c, we still were finding bird parts all through the airframe. To
this day, I still don't know how some of the feathers and skin found
there way into the beacon on the top of the vertical fin.....

Craig C.