IO-360 break-in and oil recommendations?

Old August 20th 04, 06:02 PM

Default IO-360 break-in and oil recommendations?

Our normally-aspirated Arrow IV is currently in the shop getting a Lycoming
factory rebuilt ("zero time") IO-360-C1C6 installed. This is the first time
in my 2000 hr. flying career that I have ever had to deal with an engine
break-in, so I would welcome advice from the group.

Lycoming apparently recommends operation at 65-75% for the first 50 hours
"or until oil consumption stabilizes." This is to assure proper piston ring
seating. They also recommend use of straight mineral oil during this
period, and we plan to run on Aeroshell 50 weight mineral oil. Anybody
suggest otherwise?

On our old engine, we ran single weight SAE 50 (Aeroshell 100 AD) year-round
with excellent results. (we fly out of PAE, where it rarely gets very cold
in the winter.) In around 2150 hours of operation (i.e. well past TBO), we
never had a major problem. Even now, we are changing engines on general
principles, not because of any indication that anything is wrong.
Continuing to use Aeroshell 100 AD (after break-in) is therefore rather
tempting, but it seems that everyone is extolling the virtues of
multi-viscosity, semi-synthetic oils. These contain an anti-scuff additive
which is required on some larger Lycoming engines. Apparently, Lycoming has
no problems with the additive in smaller engines like the IO-360, but
doesn't require or even specifically recommend it. Any thoughts from the
group on oil selection for general (after break-in) operation?

--
-Elliott Drucker
Old August 20th 04, 09:15 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:02:30 GMT, wrote:

[...]

When the paperwork comes back from the factory, it will include oil and
break-in recommendations. I would read through that thoroughly and then do
what Lycoming recommends.

--ron
Old August 20th 04, 10:11 PM
zatatime

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 17:02:30 GMT,
wrote:

Any thoughts from the
group on oil selection for general (after break-in) operation?

If what you did for 2150 hours worked so well, I'd stick with it.

2 cents.
Old August 22nd 04, 04:09 AM
markjen

Your break-in strategy is sound - just do what Lycoming recommends.

The cold-start advantages of a mult-vis are tremendous and the new synthetic
oils are superb with the latest corrosion resistance packages. PAE isn't
terribly cold, but at startup, all ambient temps are cold enough for a
multi-vis to pay off big. It's simply a MUCH better all-around oil for
private owners.

- Mark

Old August 23rd 04, 06:47 PM
PaulH

I got the same advice on my Arrow IO360 from Poplar Grove Airmotive
with a recent TOH - 50 weight until consumption stabilizes, then
multi-viscosity. I have chrome cylinders so it took about 30 hours to
stabilize.

They told me to fly it hard - 70-75% and stay low (5000 ft) to
maximize manifold pressure. I used 100-150 ROP to keep the cylinders
cool. First trip was 30 minutes orbiting the Class D airport at 2000
AGL with agreement from tower just to make sure I could land in a
hurry if something came loose.
Old August 24th 04, 12:32 AM
Robert M. Gary

"markjen" wrote in message news:M7UVc.64601$TI1.59232@attbi_s52...
Your break-in strategy is sound - just do what Lycoming recommends.

The cold-start advantages of a mult-vis are tremendous and the new synthetic
oils are superb with the latest corrosion resistance packages. PAE isn't
terribly cold, but at startup, all ambient temps are cold enough for a
multi-vis to pay off big. It's simply a MUCH better all-around oil for
private owners.

Do they make multi-vis mineral oils? You certainly don't want to be
dumping Aeroshell 15w50 in a new engine until after break in.

-Robert