Mxsmanic , IFR sensations, and some other stuff

Old May 23rd 08, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tina

Default Mxsmanic , IFR sensations, and some other stuff

Foiled again!

On May 23, 5:56 am, More_Flaps wrote:
On May 23, 12:46 pm, wrote:

So it's a process to cause the air to exert a force in a
direction perpendicular to the airflow. It fools the air, if you like,
which is why we call it an "air foil." A foil is a device to deceive.

Nonsense, the derivation is from a blade or leaf.

Cheers

Old May 23rd 08, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message

Good link but I think he kind of munged up the lift/drag thing as being
seperate entities, when they're inextricably linked. IOW you create lift
and drag is a by product. Not to say, BTW, that the correlation is
rigid!

Bertie

Where did you read that dumb ass, ya got a link?

Old May 23rd 08, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On May 23, 7:52 am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
wrote i
So it's a process to cause the air to exert a force in a
direction perpendicular to the airflow. It fools the air, if you like,
which is why we call it an "air foil." A foil is a device to deceive.

Actually it's a synonym for blade.

Not quite. From the Merriam-Webster Dictionary:

Foil:
1 obsolete : trample
2 a: to prevent from attaining an end : defeat always able to foil
her enemies b: to bring to naught : thwart (foiled the plot)
synonyms: see frustrate.

So my "deceive" is much less accurate than "frustrate."

Your definiton matches one of the the Cambridge Dictionary's
definitions:

foil (SWORD) gatiful
noun [C]
a thin light sword used in the sport of fencing

Dan
Old May 23rd 08, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On May 22, 2:35 pm, wrote:
wrote:
On May 22, 10:15 am, wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote:
Snipped

Most people seem to want simple, one size fits all answers to
everything and forget that most real life things, e.g. what causes
lift and what causes cancer, are complex and can't be boiled down
into a 10 second sound bite.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

Careful there; next you'll be telling us that we shouldn't nationalize
the oil companies, tax all profits and generally use a Marxist
economic system in an effort to 'simplify' our complex energy issues.

Or add ethenol to gasoline to free use from oil imports.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

Then we'll have to nationalize farming to keep corn prices down.

While we're at it we should make pi = 3.000000.

Old May 23rd 08, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"Maxwell" luv2^fly99@cox.^net wrote in news:aPAZj.2623$7k1.2040
@newsfe24.lga:

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message

Good link but I think he kind of munged up the lift/drag thing as

being
seperate entities, when they're inextricably linked. IOW you create

lift
and drag is a by product. Not to say, BTW, that the correlation is
rigid!

Bertie

Where did you read that dumb ass, ya got a link?

Nope, I know it.

Bertie

Old May 23rd 08, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

wrote in news:380a3b72-e9e1-4b9f-86a5-
:

On May 23, 7:52 am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
wrote i
So it's a process to cause the air to exert a force in a
direction perpendicular to the airflow. It fools the air, if you like,
which is why we call it an "air foil." A foil is a device to deceive.

Actually it's a synonym for blade.

Not quite. From the Merriam-Webster Dictionary:

Foil:
1 obsolete : trample
2 a: to prevent from attaining an end : defeat always able to foil
her enemies b: to bring to naught : thwart (foiled the plot)
synonyms: see frustrate.

So my "deceive" is much less accurate than "frustrate."

Your definiton matches one of the the Cambridge Dictionary's

That definition isn't relevant to this application, though.

definitions:

foil (SWORD) gatiful
noun [C]
a thin light sword used in the sport of fencing

More relevant, I suppose, but that definition is dervied from leaf or blade
as well. Foil as in thwart and foil as in blade have two completely
different origins, from waht I've been able to find...

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/foil

So I'd say arfoil was not used becasue of it's ability to frustrate air (
engineers just don't think like that, they seek harmony) but more because
of their resemblance to a leaf or blade.
Actually, the one in that link that stands out is the architectural one.

Bertie
Old May 23rd 08, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Eideigssei writes:

Your rudeness and dishonsty are facts, not opinions.

Then you should be able to program a computer to recognize both.
Old May 23rd 08, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Steve Foley

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Eideigssei writes:

Your rudeness and dishonsty are facts, not opinions.

Then you should be able to program a computer to recognize both.

if ($name="mxsmanic") {
$rudeness = true;
$dishonesty = true;
}

Old May 23rd 08, 07:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Steve Foley writes:

if ($name="mxsmanic") {
$rudeness = true;
$dishonesty = true;
}

Hmm.
Old May 23rd 08, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Buster Hymen

"Steve Foley" wrote in
newsBDZj.26$jA.21@trndny09:

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Eideigssei writes:

Your rudeness and dishonsty are facts, not opinions.

Then you should be able to program a computer to recognize both.

You left out a few:

if ($name="mxsmanic") {
$rudeness = true;
$dishonesty = true;

$HeadLockedUpButt = true;
$ViewsWorldThruPenis = true;
$PsychoticPersonalityDisorder = true;
}

Apology re mxsmanic terry Piloting 96 February 16th 08 05:17 PM
I saw Mxsmanic on TV Clear Prop Piloting 8 February 14th 07 01:18 AM
Mxsmanic gwengler Piloting 30 January 11th 07 03:42 AM
Getting rid of MXSMANIC [email protected] Piloting 33 December 8th 06 11:26 PM
Feeling aircraft sensations Ramapriya Piloting 17 January 12th 06 10:15 AM