Non-stop Atlantic crossing

Old August 27th 04, 08:36 AM
Thomas Borchert

B,

Apparently Cabair are having lots of trouble with their DA40tdi's.

References? Who is Cabair? "Apparently" doesn't convince me, sorry.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 27th 04, 08:36 AM
Thomas Borchert

Peter,

Both are almost entirely untested as far as a variety of operating
patterns around the world is concerned.

Oh yeah, that's why there is this totally worthless certification
procedure they have to go through...

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 27th 04, 08:36 AM
Thomas Borchert

Peter,

An aircraft owner who is still within the two year warranty isn't
going to talk publicly about his problems,

Of course he is. Doesn't take his legal right for warranty away. Look
at the Cirrus user forums - you'll find any amount of bitching about
their products.

Show us valid numbers about problems with the Thielert (or glass
panels) - and I would start to see your point. So far, all you offer is
speculation.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 27th 04, 10:25 AM
Paul Sengupta

"Peter" wrote in message
news
There are two ** really major ** black holes for money he the
diesel engines and their electronics, and the glass panel cockpits.
Both are almost entirely untested as far as a variety of operating
patterns around the world is concerned.

Maybe in 3-4 years' time.

Still, give me one now and I'll help test it!

Paul

Old August 27th 04, 10:27 AM
B S D Chapman

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 09:36:22 +0200, Thomas Borchert
wrote:

B,

Apparently Cabair are having lots of trouble with their DA40tdi's.

References? Who is Cabair? "Apparently" doesn't convince me, sorry.

Cabair are the largest (group of) flying school(s) in the UK, with outfits
all around london, and their main operating base at Cranfield - where they
use Katanas and DA40TDIs for professional pilot training.

"Apparently" is a) an arse covering statement by myself, and b) because
I've only heard about "instances" second-hand - from recent students and
past instructors.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthr...highlight=da40
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthr...f requent+PAN

And if you really feel like trawling, take a look through some back issues
of GASIL (the authority on "incidents and accidents" in the UK). I don't
have time to do that now!
http://www.caa.co.uk/publications/pu...pe=sercat&id=7

--

....And so as the little andrex puppy of time scampers onto the busy
dual-carriage way of destiny, and the extra-strong meat vindaloo of fate

'It is rumoured that his last words were, "Watch this..."'
Duke Elegant
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthr...hreadid=117465
Old August 27th 04, 12:11 PM
Thomas Borchert

Peter,

but there is
plenty of "certified" junk about.

I have to agree. Still, a certain level of reliability can be derived
from certification. And I don't think there have been any major
problems with PFD type panels or with the DA40.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 27th 04, 12:12 PM
B S D Chapman

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 10:25:17 +0100, Paul Sengupta
wrote:

"Peter" wrote in message
news
There are two ** really major ** black holes for money he the
diesel engines and their electronics, and the glass panel cockpits.
Both are almost entirely untested as far as a variety of operating
patterns around the world is concerned.

Maybe in 3-4 years' time.

Still, give me one now and I'll help test it!

Absolutely.
Though I'd probably want to be based a little closer to Gamston if I was
relying on the aircraft for business... I'd want to have access to the
"courtesy 'plane"!!!

DA42 is a different story though: I wouldn't hesitate to jump in that!

Old August 27th 04, 01:39 PM
Thomas Borchert

B,

what's mentioned in those threads sounds very circumstantial and is
mostly "hear-say". Lots of "apparently" and "I believe" in there. Not
hard numbers. Too bad. But I don't think a school would stick with an
aircraft that has the problems you alluded to.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 27th 04, 02:35 PM
gwengler

"VinMan" wrote in message ...
"karel" a écrit dans le message de news:

Yes but I don't think I'd like to sit in a TB20 or anything of its class

for
12 hours

Especially over the Atlantic with only ONE engine available...
;o)

Well, there's another spin on that: Most (all?) light twins WILL
descent on one engine for the first couple of hours (I don't have time
to quantify this) because of the weight of the extra fuel that is
required on very long-haul flights. In a single, if you have an
engine failure, you're going down. In a (too heavy) twin with one
engine failed you're also going down for some time. However, with a
twin your chances of an engine failure are double!
That does not automatically imply that a single is safer to fly than a
twin - just another aspect to think about. And, your rate of descent
in a one engined twin is much slower than in a zero engined single
which will give you more options (time wise) to do something about
your upcoming big problem of landing without an airport - perhaps you
can even make it back to land.

Gerd
ATPL
Old August 27th 04, 03:37 PM
B S D Chapman

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 14:39:02 +0200, Thomas Borchert
wrote:

B,

what's mentioned in those threads sounds very circumstantial and is
mostly "hear-say". Lots of "apparently" and "I believe" in there. Not
hard numbers. Too bad.

Yeah.
You're right.
They just made it all up to bring down the evil Diesel Empire.

???

But I don't think a school would stick with an
aircraft that has the problems you alluded to.

Like they have a choice?
We're not talking about two or three airframes here. We're talking about
a procurement programme that has been running for years.

You don't drop an investment like that because of a few hiccups. You work
with the vendor and manufacturer to develop solutions. No different from
buying a new car: Mine was one of the first off the production line last
year, and it's been back to the garage at least once a month with
repetitive faults that they are finding difficult to trace and rectify.
But we're getting there.

Fortunately, no one has died because of these faults, in either my car, or
on a TDI equiped aircraft. People all over europe are knuckling down and
quietly trying to fix them. And that is great. That is what pushing the
boundry and buying into cutting-edge technology is all about.

Just because I point out faults, or acknowledge the rumour mill, doesn't
mean that I don't think it is still the best solution out there today.
I'd buy my car again, I would have a TDI aircraft tomorrow.

Peter won't, because he's heard the stories - and they're good enough for
him to decide not to chance becoming your first Hard Number.