CFI training materials

Old May 8th 06, 02:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default CFI training materials

I'm working on my Commercial license at the moment as the next step towards
my CFI. I was wondering if anyone had any CFI training materials they might
want to part with? (or knows good sources to get).

I just got another King video catalog in the mail and there are a couple CFI
DVD's in there, but I'm not sure I want to drop several hundred dollars
quite yet... ;-)

Thanks!

--

PP-ASEL, instrument

Old May 8th 06, 03:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

The best single book in my opinion is William K. Kershner's
THE FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR"S MANUAL, now published by ASA
http://www.asa2fly.com/
Also all the FAA books can be downloaded free from the FAA
http://www.faa.gov/pilots/training/
http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aviation/
Instructors handbook
http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/a...A-H-8083-9.pdf

You may want to browse the links to find all the titles you
want.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

. net...

Old May 8th 06, 04:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Check out www.whittsflying.com This website is excellent and will
provide you and your future students a very good online resource.

Old May 8th 06, 11:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jim Macklin wrote:
The best single book in my opinion is William K. Kershner's
THE FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR"S MANUAL, now published by ASA
http://www.asa2fly.com/
Also all the FAA books can be downloaded free from the FAA
http://www.faa.gov/pilots/training/
http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/aviation/
Instructors handbook
http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/a...A-H-8083-9.pdf

I concur with Jim's advice. But basically, get a printed copy of
the PTS and the CFI Oral test quide (from ASA) and use those as a
basis for what you need to know. The back of the Oral Test study
guide also has the wording of all of the various endorsements you
would need and handy to have.

Old May 8th 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I agree with Jim about Bill Kershner's Flight Instructor Manual. This is a
book that you can get real world examples of how to teach many primary and
advanced lessons. It's one of my favorites and can be used for years after
you take your checkride.

The FAA will want you to know and be able to apply and regurgitate their
mantra, word for word. You MUST own, study, learn, and be able to teach
from the FAA books. Some FAA Inspectors and even some DE's have been known
to dismiss all information found in any other sources. So start with the
FAA info, then back it up with materials from some of the industry's better
authors.

You'll need copies of all the PTS books, and I'd suggest all the ASA Oral
Prep books also.

You should also start a 3-ring binder and download all the FAA Advisory
Circulars, I think Matthew Waugh's site has a list. He also has a great
list of CFI material, links, and books.
http://home.nc.rr.com/mwaugh/Aviation/index.htm

Make sure you have the latest versions of any books that you buy. Don't buy
out of date material from amazon or ebay.

A very real part of being a CFI (and one that the FAA wants you to realize)
is that you need to know where to find answers to students questions. If
the answer isn't in your head, it better be in a book that you own and you
should be able to show the student.

Jim

Old May 8th 06, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

All the PTS and such are on-line on the FAA site, in PDF
format.

"Jim Burns" wrote in
message ...

Old May 8th 06, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Steven Barnes" wrote in message
. net...
I'm working on my Commercial license at the moment as the next step
towards
my CFI. I was wondering if anyone had any CFI training materials they
might
want to part with? (or knows good sources to get).

I just got another King video catalog in the mail and there are a couple
CFI
DVD's in there, but I'm not sure I want to drop several hundred dollars
quite yet... ;-)

Thanks!

I have always recommended Bill Kershner's books as basic tools for CFI's and
have used them myself all through my tenure as a CFI. There are others of
course.
The FAA likes to see an applicant loaded down with their material so keep
that in mind as well.
I've always suggested that an applicant for the CFI rating show up for the
test with a loose-leaf binder showing the applicant's PERSONAL approach with
drawings and explanations in demonstrating ground reference maneuvers ect.
The ORIGINAL APPROACH with visuals to be used in conjunction with
explanations are encouraged in this effort.
You can start making this up now and add to it as you progress toward the
rating.
Keep in mind you can simply show up for a CFI test with the right books and
the right answers and walk out with a CFI if you get the right examiner. Or
you can walk into a very good examiner who will walk you right through the
flying stage and nail your butt to a tree if you can't demonstrate that you
are interested in being a good teacher!!!
The FAA employs a wide mix of people ranging from extremely competent
individuals to "Stepford Wives" type government robots.
I always advise applicants to prepare for both :-)
Remember, TEACHING is the key word for the CFI. Any good examiner will
concentrate highly on this area and be looking for how YOU view this aspect
of the rating. BE PREPARED to handle this!
Dudley Henriques