HOT start 180HP engine

Old March 28th 04, 11:32 PM
Hankal

Default HOT start 180HP engine

My 1973 Skyhawk has the 360/180 hp engine carburated.
When the engine is hot it is difficult to start.
My procedure is master switch battery side on, fuel pump on. Prime throttle 3
times. Fuel pump off, turn starter while advancing the throttle.
Today she would not fire and the battery went south.

Any recommendations, suggestions.
Will check timing and Magnetos tomorrow.
Hank N1441P
Old March 29th 04, 01:54 AM
No Spam

My 1973 Skyhawk has the 360/180 hp engine carburated.
When the engine is hot it is difficult to start.
My procedure is master switch battery side on, fuel pump on. Prime throttle 3
times. Fuel pump off, turn starter while advancing the throttle.
Today she would not fire and the battery went south.

Any recommendations, suggestions.
Will check timing and Magnetos tomorrow.
Hank N1441P

On my O-360, when hot, I don't prime at all. Pump throttle once, crack 1/4"
and crank. Starts every time.

This on a Husky - no fuel pump.

No Spam

Old March 29th 04, 01:44 PM
Maule Driver

My 1973 Skyhawk has the 360/180 hp engine carburated.
When the engine is hot it is difficult to start.
My procedure is master switch battery side on, fuel pump on. Prime

throttle 3
times. Fuel pump off, turn starter while advancing the throttle.
Today she would not fire and the battery went south.

Any recommendations, suggestions.
Will check timing and Magnetos tomorrow.
Hank N1441P

On my O-360, when hot, I don't prime at all. Pump throttle once, crack

1/4"
and crank. Starts every time.

This on a Husky - no fuel pump.

Same here on my 360/180 powered Maule. In warm weather, cold starts are
easy with 3 pumps of throttle, when engine is already hot, 1 pump does it.
No primer except with temp is 55F or less. Never use the fuel pump.

Old March 29th 04, 03:23 PM
John P

Put a carburetor on the bench from a 180hp Lycoming and fill it with fuel.
Pump the
throttle(once) and watch the fuel hit the ceiling. You'll never pump the
throttle again when
the engine is hot!!! It's best just to go rich( a hot start, not fuel
injected) and crack the throttle,
crank a half a dozen blades, should start if engine is OK. I believe there
is more fuel thrown to the engine
with the throttle than the primer. Remember, the primer only adds fuel to
three of the cylinders and
not the fourth, so that helps on a hot start is one pump is needed from the
primer.

John Prince

From: "Nathan Young"
Subject: HOT start 180HP engine
Date: Monday, March 29, 2004 8:14 AM

On 28 Mar 2004 22:32:48 GMT, (Hankal) wrote:

My 1973 Skyhawk has the 360/180 hp engine carburated.
When the engine is hot it is difficult to start.
My procedure is master switch battery side on, fuel pump on. Prime throttle

3
times. Fuel pump off, turn starter while advancing the throttle.
Today she would not fire and the battery went south.

Master, fuel pump, no primer, mixture rich, crack throttle. Crank.

After 2 tries, if it will not start in this manner, then I assume it
is not longer 'hot' and prime regularly.

This is on a Cherokee 180... I believe it is easier to start than
most when hot.

-Nathan

Old March 29th 04, 04:42 PM

Quite correct. If you think about the rather large *quantity* of fuel
squirted out of the updraft carb with the accelerator pump, you won't want to use it
to prime again... *especially* on a hot engine. Since it can take a bit to get fuel
through the intake runners (since it was shut down with the cutoff), I will sometimes
give it 1/2 to 1 squirt with the throttle, but only while already cranking. If you do
it before you're cranking, you're guaranteeing fuel pooling up on the intake ducting
to the carb... you know, right by the fuzzy oil-soaked air filter material.

-Cory

John P
wrote:
: Put a carburetor on the bench from a 180hp Lycoming and fill it with fuel.
: Pump the
: throttle(once) and watch the fuel hit the ceiling. You'll never pump the
: throttle again when
: the engine is hot!!! It's best just to go rich( a hot start, not fuel
: injected) and crack the throttle,
: crank a half a dozen blades, should start if engine is OK. I believe there
: is more fuel thrown to the engine
: with the throttle than the primer. Remember, the primer only adds fuel to
: three of the cylinders and
: not the fourth, so that helps on a hot start is one pump is needed from the
: primer.

: John Prince

: From: "Nathan Young"
: Date: Monday, March 29, 2004 8:14 AM

: On 28 Mar 2004 22:32:48 GMT, (Hankal) wrote:

:My 1973 Skyhawk has the 360/180 hp engine carburated.
:When the engine is hot it is difficult to start.
:My procedure is master switch battery side on, fuel pump on. Prime throttle
: 3
:times. Fuel pump off, turn starter while advancing the throttle.
:Today she would not fire and the battery went south.

: Master, fuel pump, no primer, mixture rich, crack throttle. Crank.

: After 2 tries, if it will not start in this manner, then I assume it
: is not longer 'hot' and prime regularly.

: This is on a Cherokee 180... I believe it is easier to start than
: most when hot.

: -Nathan

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *
* (Just my 20 USm$) *

Old March 29th 04, 07:15 PM
Ross Richardson

I have the same engine in my C-172F. If the engine is hot, why are you
priming? You only need to do that the first thing, sometimes. When hot
the only thing I do is hit the fuel pump to bring up the pressure, turn
it off, then crank. If it doens't catch right away, I will pump the
throttle once while cranking. I generrally start quickly every time.
Now, when I do flood it; mixture cut-off and thottle full open and crank
til start. Then mixture full rich and throttle 1/4" set.

Ross

Old March 30th 04, 04:34 PM
Mike Z.

I have a stupid unrelated question.

Why do you have a fuel pump on a '73 carbed 'Hawk?

I assume it is related to the 180 upgrade and I ask because I have that in the back of my mind for overhaul time.

Mike Z