$450 buff and wax at region two (mifflin)

Old December 20th 14, 11:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default $450 buff and wax at region two (mifflin)

On Monday, May 12, 2014 7:19:05 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Monday, May 12, 2014 6:08:01 PM UTC-4, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Monday, May 12, 2014 4:49:39 PM UTC-4, Papa3 wrote:

A shredded trailing edge or aileron makes $450 look positively cheap.

Just so. The previous owner of my glider buffed the paint right off the trailing edge of the elevator. As far as UV protection, I'm pretty safe if I stay with new microfiber rags and elbow grease, but that will not repair the overall scratched surface that I bought. It seems rather easy to mess up. I think I will take it to a pro next winter to restore the surface.... sailboat people have told me that it would not be too hard to bring back..

Give the sailboat guys a shot and report back.
UH

As a "final polisher" in a well known shop...... I will say:

-Crappy prep before polish is like trying to "polish a canvas sneaker", only so much you can do.
But, a "crappy final polisher" can screw up a good prep.

I'm not an "expert" although I have ~100+ hours doing final polish. Some customers are on here......
Old December 21st 14, 01:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark628CA

It is amazing to me how an aircraft like a typical 'glass 15 meter span glider- a "small aircraft" in every sense of the term can suddenly start looking as large as a 747 when you grab a bucket and sponge. And once you take hold of the buffer, wax and haystack of rags, it turns into an Airbus 380!

Don't forget to do the bottom!
Old December 21st 14, 01:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
HGXC[_3_]

On Saturday, December 20, 2014 8:57:10 PM UTC-5, Mark628CA wrote:
It is amazing to me how an aircraft like a typical 'glass 15 meter span glider- a "small aircraft" in every sense of the term can suddenly start looking as large as a 747 when you grab a bucket and sponge. And once you take hold of the buffer, wax and haystack of rags, it turns into an Airbus 380!

Don't forget to do the bottom!

I have sealed and waxed my glider twice in the last two years. I usually do it before i store it for the winter. It took me longer the first time but this year i guess i spent 12 hours. I have a polisher, I work slow and there are a couple small areas i do twice. My Ventus is 30 years old and has the original gelcoat and the gelcoat is in very good condition considering the age of the glider. If I had a pro locally I would pay every three years to get a expert job. What can I say...its a labor of love.