Switching to ground....

Old April 12th 04, 07:30 PM
Newps

David Brooks wrote:

The reg seems to support the statement that the "Taxi To" instruction
permits you to taxi across ALL other runways, even if they are active.

It does. You can cross anything to get to your assigned runway.

At Paine field, most hangars and the two flight schools are on the east
side, and it is routine to get the instruction "Taxi to runway 34L at A4,
cross 11". I don't really know why they throw in that little redundancy;
perhaps there have been enough transient pilots in the past wasting a
transmission to get permission to cross 11/29.

Some FAA regions require that the controllers specifically state any
runways that need to be crossed, so you will never get a clearance as
simple as "Taxi to rwy 34" if that route takes you across a runway at
any point. We don't require that here in the Northwest Mountain Region.
If at any point you come up to your assigned runway you may not cross it.

All
runways are always active, you have no way of knowing if a runway isn't
being used short of a notam.

Or the ATIS.

If the ATIS states that a runway is closed then it will be a notam.

Old April 12th 04, 08:37 PM
David Brooks

"Newps" wrote in message

Some FAA regions require that the controllers specifically state any
runways that need to be crossed, so you will never get a clearance as
simple as "Taxi to rwy 34" if that route takes you across a runway at
any point. We don't require that here in the Northwest Mountain Region.

Aren't we in the same region?

If at any point you come up to your assigned runway you may not cross

it.

Hm - I wonder how many people understand that you can't cross the assigned
runway to get to your taxi-to point (if, for example, your destination is on
its far side).

-- David Brooks

Old April 12th 04, 08:40 PM
Andrew Sarangan

"Bill Denton" wrote in
:

While I wouldn't dispute that you are making a valid safety argument
from one perspective, I see several problems if you examine it from
other perspectives.

What you are describing is a situation analogous to driving an
automobile and stopping at every intersection, even though you have
the green light.

The analogy is more like this: all the intermediate lights are red, and
you are told to go through all of them without stopping.

A couple of problems that I see:

Following aircraft - Obviously, following aircraft should taxi in a
manner to avoid running over you, but in reality, expected behavior
also enters into that. If you were to just suddenly stop halfway down
a long taxiway you would be creating a similar hazard.

Traffic management - I would imagine that ground uses such techniques
is spacing and sequencing such that aircraft "A" can proceed, followed
by aircraft "B", with aircraft "C" crossing between aircraft "A" and
"B".

I would have no problem if ground asks me to follow another aircraft. The
problem arises when you are navigating on your own in the dark and you
come across a hold shord line that you were not expecting. Should you go
blasting through it, or should you stop and inquire?

So, it seems that this is another situation where, at first glance, an
action might appear to be increasing safety, when in fact it is
reducing safety...

Old April 12th 04, 09:05 PM
Teacherjh

and you
come across a hold shord line that you were not expecting. Should you go
blasting through it, or should you stop and inquire?

I'd inquire. (it actually came up recently). If it was a line I =was=
expecting that's another thing though.

Jose

Old April 12th 04, 09:21 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
. 158...

The analogy is more like this: all the intermediate lights are red, and
you are told to go through all of them without stopping.

That's true of Germany, according to Stefan, but it's not true of the US.

Old April 12th 04, 09:21 PM
Newps

David Brooks wrote:
"Newps" wrote in message

Some FAA regions require that the controllers specifically state any
runways that need to be crossed, so you will never get a clearance as
simple as "Taxi to rwy 34" if that route takes you across a runway at
any point. We don't require that here in the Northwest Mountain Region.

Aren't we in the same region?

Yep.

If at any point you come up to your assigned runway you may not cross

it.

Hm - I wonder how many people understand that you can't cross the assigned
runway to get to your taxi-to point (if, for example, your destination is on
its far side).

That's pretty basic. Everybody should know that when I say Taxi to Ry34
you can cross anything on the way to Ry34, except of course Ry34 itself.

Old April 12th 04, 10:08 PM
David Brooks

"Newps" wrote in message
If at any point you come up to your assigned runway you may not cross

it.

Hm - I wonder how many people understand that you can't cross the

assigned
runway to get to your taxi-to point (if, for example, your destination

is on
its far side).

That's pretty basic. Everybody should know that when I say Taxi to Ry34
you can cross anything on the way to Ry34, except of course Ry34 itself.

Agreed, but I was wondering if you would, or could, issue a taxi to an
intersection on the far side of the assigned runway (say from the ramp at
the west end of your taxiway B to run up on B on the east side of 10L; the
AOPA diagram doesn't show the BIL intersection numbers)

-- David Brooks

Old April 13th 04, 06:03 AM
Newps

David Brooks wrote:

Agreed, but I was wondering if you would, or could, issue a taxi to an
intersection on the far side of the assigned runway (say from the ramp at
the west end of your taxiway B to run up on B on the east side of 10L; the
AOPA diagram doesn't show the BIL intersection numbers)

Yes, we do all the time. One of the cargo companies has their fleet of
Beech 99's over there. They taxi all the time to the postal ramp which
is between C and D on the south side. In that case it is either "hold
short" or "taxi to the ramp". If they want to take off and they want
the full length they have to tell me. Otherwise we will say taxi to ry28R.

Old April 15th 04, 04:51 PM
Paul Sengupta

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ink.net...
My feelings have nothing to do with it. Drop your nationalist attitude

and
compare the procedures logically and you'll agree that US procedures are
superior.

Apart from the one that says you can clear more than one aircraft
to land when the prior one hasn't landed and vacated the runway.

Paul

Old April 15th 04, 04:58 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Paul Sengupta" wrote in message

Apart from the one that says you can clear more than one aircraft
to land when the prior one hasn't landed and vacated the runway.

How so?