has anyone else noticed???

Old January 28th 10, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

Default New Sport Aviation

"vaughn" wrote in message

"jim ham" wrote in message
tom c wrote:
snip
EAA's new revamped Sport Aviation isn't new at all. It's just a cheaper
printer!

Tom c

snip
...Personally I don't like the large format. It just doesn't handle well,
especially in the reading room (read head).

I suspect that our new EAA management (i.e. Tom) is really impressed by
the glitz factor.

The "new" Sport Aviation is a very nice magazine, but so was the old
one! In spite of the hype, I wouldn't give you a dime for the difference.
I do prefer the old size.

What about AirVenture as a name?

I don't know what they were thinking. It will always be "Oshkosh" to
me.

Vaughn

I agree or both issues. The old size was a better fit with my other
magazines as well.

Peter

Old January 28th 10, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jan olieslagers[_2_]

Default has anyone else noticed???

Peter Dohm schreef:

It really seems to me that the nail in the coffin, at least temporarily, was
the decision of the ATT based ISPs to dump usenet.

It is more general than that, not limited to the USA. u.r.aviation was a
very nice place where I learnt many things and read many fine posts,
today it is ghastly silent. And that's only one example.

There's just no way to
tell when or even if it will recover.

I am much afraid it won't.
Old January 28th 10, 10:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
et

On Jan 28, 12:53*pm, jan olieslagers
wrote:
Peter Dohm schreef:

It really seems to me that the nail in the coffin, at least temporarily, was
the decision of the ATT based ISPs to dump usenet.

It is more general than that, not limited to the USA. u.r.aviation was a
very nice place where I learnt many things and read many fine posts,
today it is ghastly silent. And that's only one example.

There's just no way to
tell when or even if it will recover.

I am much afraid it won't.

After reading previous post about the quality of the "new" Sport
Aviation I had to dig it out for a scan. About 1/3 of the content is
advertising. Add to that, about 15% is informercial type articles.
Another 10% for oversize photos. Less than 10% devoted to "how to"
articles[in my opinion, the most important part]. It really is a
glitzy rag[again my opinion]. Your mileage my vary, depending on
your interests.

Ed

Old January 29th 10, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
BobR

On Jan 28, 2:45*pm, "Peter Dohm" wrote:
"vaughn" wrote in message

"jim ham" wrote in message
tom c wrote:
[...]

Peter- Hide quoted text -

What the hell were they thinking with the new size? None of the other
magazines use that size and it doesn't do a thing to enhance the
magazine.

Old January 29th 10, 04:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb[_2_]

"vaughn" wrote in message

"jim ham" wrote in message
tom c wrote:
[...]

Sail

--

Richard Lamb

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power
to tell just when the hands will stop, at late or early hour...
Now is the only time you own. Live, love, toil with a will.
Place no faith in time. For the clock may soon be still."

Old January 29th 10, 12:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Scott[_7_]

jim ham wrote:
They probably
are saving money by not printing separate magazines for each EAA
section. Personally I don't like the large format. It just doesn't
handle well, especially in the reading room (read head).

I suspect that our new EAA management (i.e. Tom) is really impressed by
the glitz factor. What about AirVenture as a name? This may have been a
copyright issue, although simply referring to the convention as Oshkosh
served well for many years.

That all said, I did notice a lot more "how to" stuff which has been
missing from Sport Av for a long time. Glad to see it coming back

Scott
Old January 29th 10, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
tom c[_4_]

"jim ham" wrote in message
tom c wrote:
snip
EAA's new revamped Sport Aviation isn't new at all. It's just a cheaper
printer!

Tom c

snip
I doubt that it's cheaper than printing 8 1/2 x 11. Also the pages are
really thin - thin paper is expensive if it's also opaque. They probably
are saving money by not printing separate magazines for each EAA section.
Personally I don't like the large format. It just doesn't handle well,
especially in the reading room (read head).

Yes, it doesn't balance well on the top of the tank And when the cat is
in the sink it tends to overlap on top of him!

Tom C

Old January 30th 10, 12:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Peter Dohm" wrote

Too true, the bulletin board format just doesn't work for me.

It really seems to me that the nail in the coffin, at least temporarily,
was the decision of the ATT based ISPs to dump usenet. There's just no
way to tell when or even if it will recover.

Could be, but that is only ignorance of the other possibilities available to
still be online with Usenet.

Take the way I read them. I use nntp.aioe.org. It has been 100% reliable,
and free, but the only thing they do not have is binaries. I can live
without.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 30th 10, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"et" wrote

After reading previous post about the quality of the "new" Sport
Aviation I had to dig it out for a scan. About 1/3 of the content is
advertising. Add to that, about 15% is informercial type articles.
Another 10% for oversize photos. Less than 10% devoted to "how to"
articles[in my opinion, the most important part]. It really is a
glitzy rag[again my opinion]. Your mileage my vary, depending on
your interests.
))))))))))))((((((((((((((((((((((((

Yes, not much better, if any, than the old version, IMHO.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 30th 10, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
vaughn[_2_]

"Morgans" wrote in message
Take the way I read them. I use nntp.aioe.org. It has been 100% reliable,
and free,

You can say the same about news.eternal-september.org. I actually have both
that and aioe set up just in case one goes down.

BTW: When AT&T dropped the Usenet, I finally dropped AT&T.

Vaughn