Weird Experience #1,113

Old June 26th 07, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default Weird Experience #1,113

So I run over to the hangar yesterday to pick up some stuff for the
hotel, and I hear an airplane go over. I look up to see "The Mighty
150" struggling to climb in the thick, humid summer air. I smile, and
then freeze, as I snatch a glance at my watch.

That's my boy up there, on his fifth lesson. The kid I taught to bait
a hook and ride a bike is hovering nearly motionless in the heat,
struggling to climb as he works to master the vagaries of a crosswind
landing.

I shiver, and move on. Damn, time flies.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 26th 07, 07:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
El Maximo

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message

Struggling to climb in the THICK, humid summer air?

It sure seems thick when you're breathing it.

Old June 26th 07, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

Struggling to climb in the THICK, humid summer air?

It sure seems thick when you're breathing it.

The engine thinks so as well--trying to churn a prop in it...

Old June 26th 07, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"Peter Dohm" wrote in message

The engine thinks so as well--trying to churn a prop in it...

Engines don't think. Warm air is less dense than cool air, humid air is
less dense than dry air.

Old June 26th 07, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jonathan Goodish

In article et,
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:
The engine thinks so as well--trying to churn a prop in it...

Engines don't think.

Maybe not, but they know when they've reached TBO and could
spontaneously fail at any moment thereafter.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

JKG
Old June 26th 07, 11:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gatt

"Jonathan Goodish" wrote in message
In article et,
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

Engines don't think.

Maybe not, but they know when they've reached TBO and could spontaneously
fail at any moment thereafter.

ENGINE STALL!

"We like to praise birds for flying. But how much of it is actually flying,
and how much of it is just sort of coasting from the previous flap?"
-Jack Handey

Old June 27th 07, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message oups.com...
So I run over to the hangar yesterday to pick up some stuff for the
hotel, and I hear an airplane go over. I look up to see "The Mighty
150" struggling to climb in the thick, humid summer air.

Actually, the hot & humid air is thin...

Old June 27th 07, 05:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

So I run over to the hangar yesterday to pick up some stuff for the
hotel, and I hear an airplane go over. I look up to see "The Mighty
150" struggling to climb in the thick, humid summer air.

Actually, the hot & humid air is thin...

You guys kill me....

We all know that humid air FEELS thick. I went running this morning
with my son, and felt like I was breathing through a wet sponge. The
air felt like if we added .000001% more humidity, we'd be under
water.

THAT feels "thick" -- thus the literary turn of phrase.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 27th 07, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...

You guys kill me....

We all know that humid air FEELS thick. I went running this morning
with my son, and felt like I was breathing through a wet sponge. The
air felt like if we added .000001% more humidity, we'd be under
water.

THAT feels "thick" -- thus the literary turn of phrase.

Sure, we all know humid air FEELS thick. Because it feels thick some people
think humid air is denser than dry air.

Weird Flying Experience Charles Talleyrand Piloting 4 May 9th 06 04:16 PM
Under the heading of Truly Weird Jay Beckman Piloting 29 December 17th 05 05:39 PM
Weird Windshear Bravo8500 Piloting 22 March 9th 05 06:52 PM
Now this is weird Jay Honeck Piloting 7 August 15th 04 04:11 AM
Weird Emergencies SelwayKid Rotorcraft 18 April 19th 04 11:33 PM