Dust Devil Dash results

Old September 9th 08, 05:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian Cant

Default Dust Devil Dash results

Here are the results of the 2008 Dust Devil Dash. It was close. Marty
Eiler and Sean Franke both made it to Alturas, CA for the longest straight

distances and the best handicapped distances. Garry Dickson landed at
Luning, NV and with handicap came in a close third, with Doug Levy at
Bridgeport coming in fourth.

Philippe Athuil receives the special award of Grand Prix de Sang Froid.
Off
tow he had jammed aileron control and was unable to turn to the right. He

thermalled to the left to 15000 ft then glided back to his base at
Crystal.
But then, after retrieving his laptop from the control system, he relit
and
finally landed at Minden.

Sean Franke and Cindy Brickner are both looking at possible US record
claims, and I believe some badge legs were also recorded.

22 competitors flew this year.

Congratulations to all, and hoping to see you all again next year,

Cindy, please post to ssa.org.

Old September 10th 08, 07:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Excellent results.
I was envious as I worked on some TV show in Toronto, knowing the
weather was good at home. Take it the Frankes got first place on the
Duo's handicap versus the AS-W27?
For those unfamiliar with the terrain, Tehachapi to Alturas is 733.5
kilometers in a straight line. Luning is 379.5 and Bridgeport 358.7.
Garry and "Hang Man" were flying Schweizer 1-26s, hence the "close"
third with such a difference in the distances. If the weather system
doesn't allow long tasks, this race can be won on handicap (and with
an eager pilot).
When the weather does allow for long flights, having enough charts
on board has been a problem.
Jim

Old September 10th 08, 09:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

On Sep 8, 9:08*pm, Ian Cant
wrote:

But then, after retrieving his laptop from the control system, he relit
and
finally landed at Minden.

Ok, someone has to ask. How is it possible to takeoff without being
aware there is a stray laptop computer in the glider, and where in the
glider can it be so that it can jam controls but not be reached by the
pilot?

The only place I can think of is the fuselage aft of the spar and that
space is protected by a hard barrier in the gliders I have most of my
time in. (ASW 19 and 28)

What was he flying?

Andy
Old September 11th 08, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

At 20:13 10 September 2008, Andy wrote:
On Sep 8, 9:08=A0pm, Ian Cant

What was he flying?

Andy

Probably his ASH-25. The computer may have come out of the belts and bags
in the back seat.

Steve
Old September 11th 08, 06:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rustynuts

On Sep 8, 9:08*pm, Ian Cant
wrote:
Here are the results of the 2008 Dust Devil Dash. *It was close. *Marty
Eiler and Sean Franke both made it to Alturas, CA for the longest straight
distances and the best handicapped distances.

But who won?
Old September 11th 08, 07:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyASK

On Sep 10, 10:53*pm, rustynuts wrote:
On Sep 8, 9:08*pm, Ian Cant
wrote:

Here are the results of the 2008 Dust Devil Dash. *It was close. *Marty
Eiler and Sean Franke both made it to Alturas, CA for the longest straight
distances and the best handicapped distances.

But who won?

A fair question!
I posted the results in a news blurb on www.ssa.org.
click the link in News on the top right corner.

On this occasion, you do not need to be an SSA member to access the
results.
With luck, I will go add some photos to it tomorrow.

Cindy B
Old September 11th 08, 01:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

Hey, some great flying you guys (you too Cindy) I just asked my wife
Pat if she would crew for me at the Dust Devil Dash next year. She
gave me a sign indicating she thinks I'm number one.
JJ
Old September 11th 08, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cliff Hilty

LOL, You are number one JJ! Thank god they gave up on the old straight out
tasks and cats cradle. To allow all those other pilots who like JJ's
spouse think they are number one as well when asked to crew!

Or you could be like Hangman and wear out as many friends as you can over
the years!

Or (putting in a plug for myself) you could be fortunate enough who's
spouse is incredibly generous with her time and drives quite often for me
in some god awful places

CH (Ventus B)

Old September 11th 08, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cliff Hilty

LOL, You are number one JJ! Thank god they gave up on the old straight out
tasks and cats cradle. To allow all those other pilots who like JJ's
spouse think they are number one as well when asked to crew!

Or you could be like Hangman and wear out as many friends as you can over
the years!

Or (putting in a plug for myself) you could be fortunate enough who's
spouse is incredibly generous with her time and drives quite often for me
in some god awful places

CH (Ventus B)

At 12:35 11 September 2008, JJ Sinclair wrote:
Hey, some great flying you guys (you too Cindy) I just asked my wife
Pat if she would crew for me at the Dust Devil Dash next year. She
gave me a sign indicating she thinks I'm number one.
JJ

So Cal Dust Devil Dash Ian Cant Soaring 0 August 22nd 08 04:24 PM
Dust Devil Dash [US] Ian Cant Soaring 2 September 15th 07 02:50 AM
2006 Dust Devil Dash Results? fcnorton Soaring 2 September 12th 06 12:59 AM
SA Nationals - Dust Devil 04 - Day 8 results [email protected] Soaring 2 January 6th 05 08:35 AM
S A Nationals - Dust Devil 04 Day 1 Results [email protected] Soaring 1 December 30th 04 09:53 AM