how to cope with negative g´s?

Old June 22nd 05, 09:09 AM
Markus

Default how to cope with negative g´s?

Hi,

I wonder what you have to say about how to train myself to better cope
with negative g´s!
The problem I have is, that whenever I do a series of (hard) negative
manouvers (say between -5 and -6.5g) I get headache and my face shows a
zillion of small red spots (bursted veins) which disappear again after a
day or two.
I read an article from Patty Wagstaff, where she speaks about that, but
leaves the answer whether or not this is dangerous to my health in the
long term open.
I´m not doing this too often (fly a whole sequence of hard negative
manouvers), but right at the moment I need to train it quite a bit and so
I don´t have much of an option...

Please let me know what you think!

Regards,
Markus

*** Sent From/Enviado desde: http://groups.expo.st ***

Old June 25th 05, 06:31 PM
Dudley Henriques

Hi Markus;
I take it you're flying something that can develop a high g RATE either way?
Anyway.....negative g takes some getting used to. One of the big danger
areas for new pilots...and indeed for some of us "old timers" as well, (if
we're not in good aerobatic shape) is transitioning from positive to
negative or the other way around. Avoid this for a while at least. I always
advise pilots, especially demonstration pilots, to stay on a VERY good
health regimen if engaging in negative/positive...positive/negative
maneuvers.
Getting back to your issue; just work into it slowly. That's the "secret" to
building up negative g tolerance. You might practice from level flight to a
half slow roll, followed by a push up starting easy to where you can take it
comfortably, then rolling off...increasing the negative up line a bit
further by allowing a nose low entry for extra airspeed before the push each
time until you can make it around comfortably.
I always advise going UP for negative g acclimation practice!! :-)
Dudley Henriques
o.st...

Old June 27th 05, 09:43 AM
Markus

Hi Dudley,

Thanks for your response.I´m well aware of the effects when transitioning
between negative and positive g or vice versa and avoid it when possible.
However, my problem is a different one, but I should have explained my
type of flying a bit more detailed, sorry! I´m flying unlimited glider
aerobatics, which means I have only so much energy to spend per manouver,
that´s why some of them need to be flown quite hard...

Currently I´m training negative stall-turns/hammerhead turns (negative
entry, negative exit), negative tail slides (negative entry, negative
exit), negtive flick rolls on 45° down line etc....When I´m flying like 6
figures (between -5.5g and -6.5g) of the before mentioned on a series of
three flights, I can expect to have headache and \"red spots\" in my face.
However, a regular unlimited sequence with just one or two hard negative
pushouts doesn´t affect me at all.

I have trained my positive g-tolerance over the last two years from around
6g to over 8g with no further problem, but Í was unsure if the same is
true for negative g´s.

Anyway, thanks for your feedback!

Best regards,
Markus

Old June 27th 05, 02:55 PM
Dudley Henriques

I understand.
My g workload doing demonstrations in WW2 type stuff was nowhere near what
you guys flying unlimited maneuvers have to deal with, and even in the
Pitts, my routines were tame compared to the stuff the guys are doing today.
I've always believed that when it comes to acro of any kind, physical
fitness is the key; then working into the schedule slowly and maintaining it
through practice to keep the body acclimated.
Coffee was a killer for me on the negative side. Gave me a headache every
time. You might want to have your blood pressure checked more often too.
I found that if I was anything but totally calm before a flight, doing a
hard routine starting with any raised blood pressure at all would cause
problems.
If you're keyed up for the flight....and in competition....that's a common
occurrence really.....or keyed up while flying through heavy concentration
on positioning in the box, sequencing, or anything else for that
matter...this could well be part of the problem.
Dudley
o.st...

Old June 27th 05, 04:16 PM
Markus

I´m not that much of a coffee drinker anyway! ;-)
But I already recognized that I´m not yet up to the point, where I can
keep up breathing normal while pushing hard g´s, instead I´m holding my
breath (just like when pulling hard g´s) which only make the effects of
negative g worse....
I guess lot´s more practice together with pyshical fitness is key!

Many thanks again,
Markus

Old July 1st 05, 07:54 PM
john smith

Dudley Henriques wrote:
My g workload doing demonstrations in WW2 type stuff was nowhere near what
you guys flying unlimited maneuvers have to deal with, and even in the
Pitts, my routines were tame compared to the stuff the guys are doing today.
I've always believed that when it comes to acro of any kind, physical
fitness is the key; then working into the schedule slowly and maintaining it
through practice to keep the body acclimated.

Dudley, when you were flying a Pitts, the "big" engine was what, 100 hp?
:-))
Old July 2nd 05, 12:00 AM
Dudley Henriques

"john smith" wrote in message
.. .
Dudley Henriques wrote:
My g workload doing demonstrations in WW2 type stuff was nowhere near
what you guys flying unlimited maneuvers have to deal with, and even in
the Pitts, my routines were tame compared to the stuff the guys are doing
today.
I've always believed that when it comes to acro of any kind, physical
fitness is the key; then working into the schedule slowly and maintaining
it through practice to keep the body acclimated.

Dudley, when you were flying a Pitts, the "big" engine was what, 100 hp?
:-))

Well, not quite back to "Lil Stinker, that's for sure. The last Pitts I flew
was an S1T with a 200 FI IO-360 coupled with a Hartzell CS :-)

I'm not THAT old!!!! :-)))
Dudley