What would you pay?

Old December 10th 05, 05:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default What would you pay?

Hangar tenents,

Hypothetical situation: You're in a hangar. There are no more hangars for
100 miles. There is a waiting list for a hangar just as long. There are
plenty of tie-downs for a poultry 70.00 per month. Just out of curiosity
.... what would be the magic price of hangar rent that would make you say,
"THAT'S IT!! I'M OUTTA HERE!! YOU CAN HAVE THE HANGAR...GIVE ME A FRICKIN'
TIE-DOWN."

Kobra

Old December 10th 05, 06:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Im sure many would disagree with me.. but if theres a waiting list for
hangars, then the rent is too low.. (thats the capitalist greedy side
speaking)..

Whats the cost of getting your own plat of land for long term lease and
putting your own hangar (t hangar or small box) on it.. as compared to
rent you are paying now?

Dave

Old December 10th 05, 12:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

It depends on how much your airplane costs or is worth to you. It's all
relative.

Old December 10th 05, 12:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Kobra wrote:
Hangar tenents,

Hypothetical situation: You're in a hangar. There are no more hangars for
100 miles. There is a waiting list for a hangar just as long. There are
plenty of tie-downs for a poultry 70.00 per month. Just out of curiosity
... what would be the magic price of hangar rent that would make you say,
"THAT'S IT!! I'M OUTTA HERE!! YOU CAN HAVE THE HANGAR...GIVE ME A FRICKIN'
TIE-DOWN."

$70 gets you a t-hanger at 4R7 ($50 a decade ago), $60 gets you one at
3R7...

None are available at either... Tiedowns used to be free at 4R7, now
they want to charge, but I don't remember what... 3R7 is planning on
building more t-hangers, 4R7 is exploring a grant ($300k for 10
t-hangers on last guesstimate)...
Old December 10th 05, 01:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Kobra wrote:

Hypothetical situation: You're in a hangar. There are no more hangars for
100 miles. There is a waiting list for a hangar just as long. There are
plenty of tie-downs for a poultry 70.00 per month. Just out of curiosity
... what would be the magic price of hangar rent that would make you say,
"THAT'S IT!! I'M OUTTA HERE!! YOU CAN HAVE THE HANGAR...GIVE ME A FRICKIN'
TIE-DOWN."

Disregarding the idea that the hangar protects the aircraft from the
elements (hail and prolonged sunshine being two), how about this (assuming
you live in an area prone to snow, ice, and/or frost)?

What is your time worth? In my case, I use my aircraft to commute weekly.
The yet-another-preflight task I would prefer to avoid is the time
consuming task of removing snow, ice, or frost from an aircraft that had
been tied down.

I supposed that, if a tie-down were my only choice, I would invest in some
type of cover for the aircraft, but then I have read that these can scratch
windows and paint.

--
Peter
Old December 10th 05, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Kobra wrote:
Hangar tenents,

Hypothetical situation: You're in a hangar. There are no more hangars for
100 miles. There is a waiting list for a hangar just as long. There are
plenty of tie-downs for a poultry 70.00 per month. Just out of curiosity
... what would be the magic price of hangar rent that would make you say,
"THAT'S IT!! I'M OUTTA HERE!! YOU CAN HAVE THE HANGAR...GIVE ME A FRICKIN'
TIE-DOWN."

Kobra

data point: 06C, Schaumburg (IL). 8 miles west of O'Hare, 1.7NM west of
my house.

Our tie-downs are $80/mo. The "old" hangars (which are unavailable) are
$250/mo. If you want to get on the waiting list for the "new" T-hangars,
they are $400/mo. By the way, you need to let them hold $800 of your
money for a "security deposit". Oh yeah, if you want heat, you put in a
gas furnace and get it hooked up to the meter (and you pay for the gas).

Seems we have plenty of potential customers for hangars because they
have started building a bunch more.

Surrounding airports are similarly priced. If you want to drive 100
miles you can get both tie-downs and hangars for about half.

Outrageous? Well, the city sunk something like $50M into the airport for
purchase and improvements. If they did not come along and do it, there
would be rows of nice pretty townhouses there by now. So, they build
expensive hangars that we seem to have an endless supply of willing
buyers to help defray the monthly nut.

I have a convenient airport, those who will pay have first class
hangars. I could "afford" the hangar. But, for nearly $5k a year, I
would rather put up with the outside and paint the beast every 7 years
instead of 12 (if it were inside).

Mike

Old December 10th 05, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

: I have a convenient airport, those who will pay have first class
: hangars. I could "afford" the hangar. But, for nearly $5k a year, I
: would rather put up with the outside and paint the beast every 7 years
: instead of 12 (if it were inside).

From the standpoint of the paint, it is generally financially better to let it
sit outside than to pay hangar rent. Of course other weather things (potential hail
damage, ice/snow removal), the convenience of indoor work, etc may be worth a lot to
some. For me, hangars are unavailable, and being outside isn't that big of a deal. A
$100 cover keeps the sun off the avionics and upholstery.

Of course on the few days during the winter when snow/ice is on it (like
today), I feel temporarily a bit different....

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old December 10th 05, 02:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Kobra" wrote in message
Hangar tenents,

Hypothetical situation: You're in a hangar. There are no more hangars

for
100 miles. There is a waiting list for a hangar just as long. There are
plenty of tie-downs for a poultry 70.00 per month. Just out of curiosity
... what would be the magic price of hangar rent that would make you say,
"THAT'S IT!! I'M OUTTA HERE!! YOU CAN HAVE THE HANGAR...GIVE ME A

FRICKIN'
TIE-DOWN."

Kobra

If I couldn't afford or didn't want to pay for a hangar I would sell the
airplane. New hangars came available at the airport I fly out of and I
bought two. The rent on one pays for the annual costs for both. 39 T
hangars sold in in about two weeks.

Old December 10th 05, 03:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Im sure many would disagree with me.. but if theres a waiting list for
hangars, then the rent is too low.. (thats the capitalist greedy side
speaking)..

MY capitalist greedy side disagrees.

If there's a waiting list, it's time to build more hangars!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA