For Canadians Especially: "Lest We Forget" Remembrance Day 2007.jpg -- A Preamble

Old November 4th 07, 03:20 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos,alt.binaries.automobile.pictures,alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Square Wheels[_3_]

Default For Canadians Especially: "Lest We Forget" Remembrance Day 2007.jpg -- A Preamble

For those who may be wondering why I posted this a full week early....

Canadians are well aware of the observation of 11-11-11-11.

(Eleventh day of the 11th month @ 11 minutes past the 11th hour)

Surveys show that most Americans think we observe Veteran's Day, which we
do not. Our's is somewhat different.

A good friend lost his father /today/ -- one week before -- and another on
Wednesday.

After a grueling week of medical tests, I will be away from either the 8th
or 9th until the 12th or 13th; most likely my computer and/or monitor will
be in the shop during my absence. In any case I will not be able to post
at the proper time.

I trust this will explain why this is being posted today.

Thank you.

SW

--
The quality of our thoughts is bordered on all sides by our facility with
language.

-J. Michael Straczynski, author (b.1954)

Old November 4th 07, 04:47 PM posted to alt.binaries.automobile.pictures,alt.binaries.pictures.autos,alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Zinc

On 4-Nov-2007, Square Wheels wrote:

Surveys show that most Americans think we observe Veteran's Day, which we
do not. Our's is somewhat different.

A good friend lost his father /today/ -- one week before -- and another on
Wednesday.

After a grueling week of medical tests, I will be away from either the 8th
or 9th until the 12th or 13th; most likely my computer and/or monitor will
be in the shop during my absence. In any case I will not be able to post
at the proper time.

I hope it all works out, SW.

--
Z~

..

http://www.usenet.com
Old November 4th 07, 04:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.automobile.pictures,alt.binaries.pictures.autos,alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Padraig

"Zinc" wrote in message

I hope it all works out, SW.

Yeah me too.
--
Paddy's Pig

Old November 4th 07, 06:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos,alt.binaries.automobile.pictures,alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Square Wheels[_3_]

Hey, thanks, guys! Very kind of you all.

I have to go through this every year, SOP, so I /will/ be OK (or OKer....)

The only one I really don't like is the complete 2-hour-plus physical, aka
"Rubber Glove Day".......

"Now I know what a Muppet feels like"

"Doc, if the glove doesn't fit, you'll have to, uh, quit"

"If you don't find my head in there, please tell my wife"

"Now you have my ring on your finger, does this mean we are engaged?"

"If I ever get anal-probed by a space alien, I'm going to ask him to check
my prostate while he's at it. No sense in having to go through that again
later with my doctor."

"Time for your prostate exam. This will only hurt a lot."

:^)

SW

Old November 4th 07, 06:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos,alt.binaries.automobile.pictures,alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Padraig

"Square Wheels" wrote in message
news
"Time for your prostate exam. This will only hurt a lot."

Hahahahaha! Big grin. Pretty funny lines there SW.
--
Paddy's Pig

Attached Images

Old November 4th 07, 06:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos,alt.binaries.automobile.pictures,alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
MagisterMax

Thanks for the reminder, SW. Yes, we really do observe 11-11-11-11. Every
school in every province in Canada will have an observance, whether it's a
minute of silence in every classroom or a special ceremony.

All the best on the medical front, SW. Remember, if you need something, I'm
just across the bridge from where you are.

Max

Old November 4th 07, 10:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos,alt.binaries.automobile.pictures,alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Bradley

"Taaaake good care of yourself,
you belong to us."
Out of tune but you get the idea.
All the best.
john

Old November 4th 07, 11:33 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos,alt.binaries.automobile.pictures,alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Robert Sveinson

"MagisterMax" wrote in message
Thanks for the reminder, SW. Yes, we really do observe 11-11-11-11.

Too many elevens. Fighting ceased atthe 11th hour of the 11th day
of the 11th month of 1918.
http://www.sherylweb.com/holidays/veterans_day.html
In 1918, on the eleventh hour of the eleventh day in the eleventh month,
the world rejoiced and celebrated. After four years of bitter war, an
armistice was signed. The "war to end all wars" was over.

http://www.nytimes.com/learning/gene.../big/1111.html

The State Department in Washington Made the Announcement at 2:45 o'Clock
ARMISTICE WAS SIGNED IN FRANCE AT MIDNIGHT
Terms Include Withdrawal from Alsace-Lorraine, Disarming and Demobilization
of Army and Navy, and Occupation of Strategic Naval and Military Points

By The Associated Press

Washington, Monday, Nov. 11, 2:48 A.M.--The armistice between Germany, on
the one hand, and the allied Governments and the United States, on the
other, has been signed.

The State Department announced at 2:45 o'clock this morning that Germany had
signed.

The department's announcement simply said: "The armistice has been signed."

The world war will end this morning at 6 o'clock, Washington time, 11
o'clock Paris time.

The armistice was signed by the German representatives at midnight.

This announcement was made by the State Department at 2:50 o'clock this
morning.

The announcement was made verbally by an official of the State Department in
this form:

"The armistice has been signed. It was signed at 5 o'clock A.M., Paris time,
[midnight, New York time,] and hostilities will cease at 11 o'clock this
morning, Paris time, [6 o'clock, New York time.]

http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/armistice.htm

Colonel Thomas Gowenlock served as an intelligence officer in the American
1st Division. He was on the front line that November morning and wrote of
his experience a few years later:

"On the morning of November 11 I sat in my dugout in Le Gros Faux, which was
again our division headquarters, talking to our Chief of Staff, Colonel John
Greely, and Lieutenant Colonel Paul Peabody, our G-1. A signal corps officer
entered and handed us the following message:

Official Radio from Paris - 6:01 A.M., Nov. 11, 1918. Marshal Foch to
the Commander-in-Chief.
1. Hostilities will be stopped on the entire front beginning at 11
o'clock, November 11th (French hour).
2. The Allied troops will not go beyond the line reached at that hour
on that date until further orders.

[signed]
MARSHAL FOCH
5:45 A.M.

Every
school in every province in Canada will have an observance, whether it's a
minute of silence in every classroom or a special ceremony.

True, Armistice day was observed at 11:00 AM (local) time with 2 minutes
of silence in all schools. However now some province have made November
11
a statutary holiday so the obseravnce in these schools.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tng_spacer.gif
Views:	22
Size:	1.3 KB
ID:	19163
Old November 5th 07, 06:56 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos,alt.binaries.automobile.pictures,alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
redc1c4

Square Wheels wrote:

For those who may be wondering why I posted this a full week early....

Canadians are well aware of the observation of 11-11-11-11.

(Eleventh day of the 11th month @ 11 minutes past the 11th hour)

Surveys show that most Americans think we observe Veteran's Day, which we
do not. Our's is somewhat different.

A good friend lost his father /today/ -- one week before -- and another on
Wednesday.

After a grueling week of medical tests, I will be away from either the 8th
or 9th until the 12th or 13th; most likely my computer and/or monitor will
be in the shop during my absence. In any case I will not be able to post
at the proper time.

I trust this will explain why this is being posted today.

Thank you.

SW

http://www.terry-kelly.com/pittance/pittance_en.htm#

"Lest we forget."

redc1c4,
(good luck with the quacks! %-)
--
"Enlisted men are stupid, but extremely cunning and sly, and bear
considerable watching."

Army Officer's Guide
Old November 5th 07, 07:18 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.autos,alt.binaries.automobile.pictures,alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Padraig

"redc1c4" wrote in message
Square Wheels wrote:

Uhhh...who are you, and what exactly does this link have to do with SW's
medical problems?