Becker avionics prices

Old August 14th 15, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Becker avionics prices

Was shopping for a radio and transponder, I notice how much more expensive Becker is than the other brands, any reason for this? Are they better, more advanced, lighter, better warranty ...
Old August 14th 15, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Friday, August 14, 2015 at 7:42:54 AM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Was shopping for a radio and transponder, I notice how much more expensive Becker is than the other brands, any reason for this? Are they better, more advanced, lighter, better warranty ...

I have had Becker and other radios, tried to install a Becker transponder once. I see no advantage in them. If you need them right now I would go straight to Trig for both, if you can wait an indeterminate time I would look at the Air Avionics combined unit (single 57mm hole services both). Both of those brands are at least the quality equal of Becker, and more forward thinking design.
Old August 14th 15, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Friday, August 14, 2015 at 7:42:54 AM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Was shopping for a radio and transponder, I notice how much more expensive Becker is than the other brands, any reason for this? Are they better, more advanced, lighter, better warranty ...

Trig TT-22 (unfortunately not TT-21) is where it is at for glider Transponders in the USA. Best current path to 1090ES Out should you want to/need to do that in future.
Old August 14th 15, 08:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

I think this is because of the recent decline in the Euro vs the USD. Becker USA prices in US dollars.

Previously, the Dittel FSG2T listed several hundred dollars higher than the Becker AR6201- 25KHz version. The FSG2T lists at 1410 Eur, but a few years ago, that same 1410 Eur was closer to 1800 USD compared to the AR6201 in the $1600-1700 range.

Now for those of us in Canada all the radios have gone up 30% in price over the last few years as the CAD has lost value as investors move into the "safety" (?) of the USD.

Dave Springford
www.foxonecorp.com

Old August 14th 15, 09:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Hi Jonathan - I flew for years with Becker radios,
never any problems (AR4201 plus Mode S transponder).
However, for the new machine I went all Trig.
The reduced height really helped with the panel
layout, I will equip ADS-B-out in future, dual radio
head, all pointed to TT-22 plus TY-91.

Email me offline if you want me to send layout pics.

Hope that helps,
Best Regards, Dave
Old August 14th 15, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

I also chose Trig T-22 paired to FreeFlight 1201 but for the radio I chose http://www.dittel-avionik.de/en/cont...diotransceiver the slim version. I like the memory with names I can assign and the form factor is similar to TY-91. The price however is a little better.

Old August 15th 15, 11:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Fri, 14 Aug 2015 14:18:19 -0700, Andrzej Kobus wrote:

I chose http://www.dittel-avionik.de/en/cont...diotransceiver the
slim version. I like the memory with names I can assign..

I've been flying with one of these (Dittel KRT2) for the last year and
like it a lot, especially its ability to listen on two frequencies.
Several have appeared in gliders at my club: I've heard no complaints.

The worst I can say about them is that entering frequency names is
somewhat slow and fiddly and, since its a computer-based radio I'd gladly
have paid a bit more for one with an SD card slot if that had been an
option: typing names and frequencies into a file on the card and then
stuffing it into the slot would be a lot quicker and easier as well as
providing a nice backup for the list.

If anybody from Dittel is reading this, there's a free suggestion for you
(an upgrade would be nice, hint hint).

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old August 16th 15, 05:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The Air Avionics combined unit seems like it could be worth waiting for. It would allow me to keep my mechanical vario even if I installed a transponder!
Old August 17th 15, 11:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, August 15, 2015 at 12:24:39 PM UTC+2, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Fri, 14 Aug 2015 14:18:19 -0700, Andrzej Kobus wrote:

The worst I can say about them is that entering frequency names is
somewhat slow and fiddly and, since its a computer-based radio I'd gladly
have paid a bit more for one with an SD card slot if that had been an
option: typing names and frequencies into a file on the card and then
stuffing it into the slot would be a lot quicker and easier as well as
providing a nice backup for the list.

If anybody from Dittel is reading this, there's a free suggestion for you
(an upgrade would be nice, hint hint).

Martin, why don't you just enter the frequencies and names with the PC program from Dittel? The cable is soldered in half an hour.
Old August 17th 15, 01:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

wrote:
On Fri, 14 Aug 2015 14:18:19 -0700, Andrzej Kobus wrote:

The worst I can say about them is that entering frequency names is
somewhat slow and fiddly and, since its a computer-based radio I'd
gladly have paid a bit more for one with an SD card slot if that had
been an option: typing names and frequencies into a file on the card
and then stuffing it into the slot would be a lot quicker and easier as
well as providing a nice backup for the list.

If anybody from Dittel is reading this, there's a free suggestion for
you (an upgrade would be nice, hint hint).

Martin, why don't you just enter the frequencies and names with the PC
program from Dittel? The cable is soldered in half an hour.

Sounds good, so I just looked at the latest manuals on the Dittel site.
There's nothing in the contents list or on the pinout diagrams of the
KRT2/KRT2A or KRT2-Col manuals, though I did see there are downloads of
versions of the KRT2Manager for XP and later Windows versions.

Thanks for the heads-up. Making up a download wiring harness for the my
KRT2 and persuading the KRT2Manager to run on Linux under Wine looks like
a nice winter project.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Becker AR4201 Robin Birch[_2_] Soaring 0 April 21st 14 06:22 PM
Becker AR4201 Robin Birch[_2_] Soaring 0 April 21st 14 05:11 PM
FS: Becker 4201 Romeozulu Soaring 0 March 7th 14 11:21 AM
Becker radio AD Tom Serkowski Soaring 3 November 2nd 04 01:43 AM
VHF Becker AR4201 Philippe Home Built 2 July 9th 04 08:30 PM