Looking for Next Plane

Old May 17th 07, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Matt Whiting

Default Looking for Next Plane

Robert M. Gary wrote:
On May 16, 5:46 pm, Matt Whiting wrote:
mbremer216 wrote:
I am looking for suggestions from the peanut gallery on my step-up aircraft.
I am IFR certified with about 500 hours PIC.
I currently own a 1968 Cherokee 180D. Good, sturdy bird and has served me
well. It's great for sightseeing and taking folks for rides, but slogging
along through extended cross-countries can really take it's toll. The Mrs.
tolerates flying as long as we are going somewhere.
What I am thinking about is something with more speed (who doesn't!) but
still has reasonable maintenance costs. The typical trip for us is around
600 NM, usually just me, the wife and a small dog. She likes to sit in the
back seat (1st row of the First Class section) and spread out her comfort
items. I like her to sit in the back so I can spread out my pilot junk.
I'm not afraid of moving to a complex aircraft, but I'm also not made of
money.
Any suggestions???
Thanks
Mike

Do you like low-wings better than high-wings? Low maintenance and
insurance costs pretty much rules out a retractable. Something like a
206, Cherokee 235, etc., might be your best bet. However, it is hard to
turn a 600 nm trip into less than a 4 hours trip with a fixed gear,
normally aspirated airplane - at least not one that costs less than $200K.

Of course depending on how much you fly the high fuel burn/low cruise
speed of the 206 and 235 will cost you as much as the insurance
difference would in a retract.

That's true. I only wish I could fly enough to make this the case!

Matt
Old May 17th 07, 11:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Noel

Fast, 2 people and relatively low maintenance sounds like a mission for a
fixed gear experimental. You might be able to pick an RV6A up for around
65, 70K?

--
Best Regards,
Mike

http://photoshow.comcast.net/mikenoel

It is not work that kills men; it is worry. Worry is rust upon the blade.

Old May 19th 07, 05:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Luke Skywalker

On May 16, 5:21 pm, "mbremer216" wrote:
[...]

a 260 Comanche if you like Pipers...

Great bird. I like the Turbo Twin myself but the 260 is a joy to fly.

Robert

Old May 20th 07, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Kyle Boatright

"Luke Skywalker" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Arn't Comanche's getting a bit long in the tooth to be inexpensive on the
maintenance front? I seem to remember that certain parts (no idea which
ones) are becoming rare, plus the airplane was built back in the day when
labor was cheap, so the airplanes were built without a tremendous amount of
attention to part count or maintainability.

An RV-6A, 7A, or (especially) 9A seems a good fit if the OP only needs 2
seats and if he and his wife can stand sitting next to each other. The
RV-8A would be a good choice too (more elbow room, since the seating is
tandem), but there wouldn't be a good place for the dog...

With time and money, an RV-10 project could result in a 200 mph 4 seater
with low maintenance costs, but most of the ones finished so far have ended
up at $125k or more, because the builders fell into the temptation of "It'll
be a $100k airplane, I can't bring myself to put a used engine in it, and I
might as well have a top notch panel while I'm at it, and leather is nice on
the seats, and..." That's an easy way to turn a $100,000 project into a
$150k project.

If the mission requirement is 4 seats, a little more speed than a Cherodee,
and low maintenance, the Grumman Tigers and fixed gear Cessna Cardinals
might be worth looking at.

Decisions, decisions.

KB

Old August 28th 07, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
CriticalMass

kontiki wrote:

If 160Kts is more your idea of fast then take a look at Piper Commanche,
Mooney or maybe a Beech Bonanza. The later the model year of
these airplanes the more they will cost.

Conversely, the *earlier* the model year of these airplanes, the more
they will cost in maintenance.