Alaska Soaring

Old August 17th 06, 08:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike I Green

Default Alaska Soaring

Are there soaring sites/clubs in Alaska? The SSA web site doesn't seem
to have any.
Old August 17th 06, 08:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Al Eddie

At 07:24 17 August 2006, Mike I Green wrote:
Are there soaring sites/clubs in Alaska? The SSA web
site doesn't seem
to have any.

I'm sure the soaring must be awsome there but I refuse
to spend a single penny in that state, where the governor
approves of the wholesale slaughter of wolves and bears
by so-called 'sportsmen', in the name of 'wildlife
management'.

Old August 17th 06, 09:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pete Brown

Mike:

The CAP has a very active soaring group in Alaska, one of
the most active in the nation, but there are no clubs or
rental gliders available, in part because of insurance
problems. The SSA graciously excludes us from the SSA group
policy in spite of the fact that we have had a superb safety
record over the last 10 years. However, I am now told that
if you have coverage through the SSA program and bring your
glider here, you are covered, you just can't live here and
get coverage.

There are a number of actively flying private gliders which
presently include a DG-600M, a Russia AC-5M, a Pilatus B-4,
a SGS 1-23G, 1-35, and a Jantar. There are is also a 2-33
and a Stemme which fly occasionally and a Diamant which is
in the process of being returned to service.

Our informal group, the Alaska Mountain Soaring Association
has a web site as noted below.

This year excepted, (one of the coldest and wettest in my
recollection of the last 33 years) we generally have thermal
flying from the end of March through the end of October and
can have wave any time of year although spring and fall are
best.

Our local core group of instructors tries to get outside
regularly to get additional experience and training and we
have sent guys to St. Auban in France, Waikerie in
Australia, the UK, and over most of the western states,
especially Nevada.

Your friends at Air Sailing have been particularly helpful
to us over the years, teaching some of us like me to fly
gliders and letting us go on safari with them. In addition,
Vern Frye, Bob Wander, Tom Knauff, Eric Greenwell, Jim
Kellet, Rich Carlson and others have visited here and helped
us from becoming too ingrown.

Now we just have to get some sort of affilation with the
guys in South Africa or New Zealand so we can fly the
summers here and then the winters there.

When are you coming to visit?

Pete Brown

--

Peter D. Brown
http://home.gci.net/~pdb/

Old August 17th 06, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jeffrey Banks

Alaska Soaring,

I have enjoyed many flights where wildlife is plentiful. I have found
some of my best thermals on the mountains just above the Dall sheep.
They of course are sitting on the warm spots. The Bears are wandering
just below eating the berries and a few fallen Sheep.

Now the Bears and Wolfs slaughter Sheep and Moose, and they never asked
the Governors permission.

Jeff Banks

Old August 17th 06, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_1_]

Pete Brown wrote:

Your friends at Air Sailing have been particularly helpful to us over
the years, teaching some of us like me to fly gliders and letting us go
on safari with them. In addition, Vern Frye, Bob Wander, Tom Knauff,
Eric Greenwell, Jim Kellet, Rich Carlson and others have visited here
and helped us from becoming too ingrown.

I had a great visit, and the trip up the Alaska Highway had some good
soaring, too. Take a look at my article in the Nov 2002 Soaring issue.

Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

www.motorglider.org - Download "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane
Operation"
Old August 17th 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
S H

The thought of hungary Bears and Wolves wandering about
below must be a wonderful incentive to keep airborne!
Alaskan glider pilots must be truly superb if Darwin's
Theory of Evolution holds true. All those glider pilots
who don't stay up get eaten. Those left behind must
be good.

Old August 18th 06, 12:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kestrel254

Mike I Green wrote:
Are there soaring sites/clubs in Alaska? The SSA web site doesn't seem
to have any.

--

Peter D. Brown
http://home.gci.net/~pdb/

Pete

I would have thought that there ought to be good wave flying in winter
when the air is cold and hopefully stable? Has anyone done this?

Regards
George Emsden

Old August 18th 06, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jeffrey Banks

--Apple-Mail-15--627486798

Interesting there is a bar in downtown Anchorage name Darwins Theory.

-----------
The thought of hungary Bears and Wolves wandering about
below must be a wonderful incentive to keep airborne!
Alaskan glider pilots must be truly superb if Darwin's
Theory of Evolution holds true. All those glider pilots
who don't stay up get eaten. Those left behind must
be good.
------------

I have flown with the Eagles here. Occasionaly the young "teen-age"
Eagles will attempt to push you down the food chain. The older Bald
Eagles seem to share thermals fine. If I see one cruising I usually
turn opposite and find the thermal he just left. His left-over lift is
quite reliable for me to get another climb.

Jeff

--Apple-Mail-15--627486798

fontfamilyparamVerdana/paramx-tad-bigger

Interesting there is a bar in downtown Anchorage name Darwins Theory.

-----------

/x-tad-biggeritalicx-tad-biggerThe thought of hungary Bears and
Wolves wandering about

below must be a wonderful incentive to keep airborne!

Alaskan glider pilots must be truly superb if Darwin's

Theory of Evolution holds true. All those glider pilots

who don't stay up get eaten. Those left behind must

be good.

/x-tad-bigger/italicx-tad-bigger

I have flown with the Eagles here. Occasionaly the young "teen-age"
Eagles will attempt to push you down the food chain. The older Bald
Eagles seem to share thermals fine. If I see one cruising I usually
turn opposite and find the thermal he just left. His left-over lift is
quite reliable for me to get another climb.

Jeff

/x-tad-bigger/fontfamily
--Apple-Mail-15--627486798--