A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Electric Towplane sets a new climb record



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 10th 18, 12:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 124
Default Electric Towplane sets a new climb record

Is this the future? No more shock cooling here!
https://newatlas.com/siemens-airbus-...-glider/48806/
Ads
  #2  
Old January 10th 18, 01:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,344
Default Electric Towplane sets a new climb record

I didn't see any mention of endurance in the article.Â* Did I miss it?

On 1/9/2018 4:30 PM, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Is this the future? No more shock cooling here!
https://newatlas.com/siemens-airbus-...-glider/48806/


--
Dan, 5J
  #3  
Old January 10th 18, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 243
Default Electric Towplane sets a new climb record

On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 4:30:12 PM UTC-7, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Is this the future? No more shock cooling here!
https://newatlas.com/siemens-airbus-...-glider/48806/


Nick - Indeed, the future is electric! Whether it is future towplanes or trainers like the Pipistrel Alpha Trainer, we will see more aircraft using electric motors. Gliders using the FES as a sustainer or as a self-launcher are already flying all over the world and have been flying for many years. We are seeing the development of the GP Gliders with electric self-launching capabilities which looks very interesting. Most of the major manufacturers now have gliders with electric capabilities including: Schempp-Hirth (including the new Ventus 3), JSC SportinÄ— Aviacija ir Ko (LAK gliders) HPH 304eS, Alisport Silent 2 Electro, Albastar, and now Schleicher with the ASG 32EL. Now are there issues? Absolutely! Is endurance and range a concern? Sure...The developers know this and there is a lot of work being done to help increase range via improved battery technology and other technical improvements.

We have definitely come a long way in the past 10 years, so just think where we will "be" 10 years from now!

Now, Nick...What you really need is more snow to fall in Telluride! (Maybe tonight!)
Thanks - Renny

  #4  
Old January 10th 18, 06:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surge
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 130
Default Electric Towplane sets a new climb record

On Wednesday, 10 January 2018 02:51:12 UTC+2, Renny wrote:
We have definitely come a long way in the past 10 years, so just think where we will "be" 10 years from now!

Now, Nick...What you really need is more snow to fall in Telluride! (Maybe tonight!)
Thanks - Renny


I think electric is the way to go but I'm very sceptical about the improvements in battery technology.
I don't think we have come a long way in the past 10 years. All that is happening now is multiple manufactures are getting into the electric game using old, proven battery technologies.
Glider manufacturers are using lithium-ion or lithium-ion polymer battery technologies both of which where invented and developed in the 1970's and 1980's and then commercialized in the 1990's. There have been small improvements along the way but nothing ground breaking in the last 20 years.

Wake me up when someone manages to double or triple the specific energy (Joules/kg) of our current battery technologies.
The only promising technology I see on the horizon is rechargable, lithium metal batteries which MIT are busy working on.
  #5  
Old January 10th 18, 07:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 909
Default Electric Towplane sets a new climb record

On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 9:09:17 PM UTC-8, Surge wrote:
On Wednesday, 10 January 2018 02:51:12 UTC+2, Renny wrote:
We have definitely come a long way in the past 10 years, so just think where we will "be" 10 years from now!

Now, Nick...What you really need is more snow to fall in Telluride! (Maybe tonight!)
Thanks - Renny


I think electric is the way to go but I'm very sceptical about the improvements in battery technology.
I don't think we have come a long way in the past 10 years. All that is happening now is multiple manufactures are getting into the electric game using old, proven battery technologies.
Glider manufacturers are using lithium-ion or lithium-ion polymer battery technologies both of which where invented and developed in the 1970's and 1980's and then commercialized in the 1990's. There have been small improvements along the way but nothing ground breaking in the last 20 years.

Wake me up when someone manages to double or triple the specific energy (Joules/kg) of our current battery technologies.
The only promising technology I see on the horizon is rechargable, lithium metal batteries which MIT are busy working on.


Current electric self launchers are getting 10-15 minutes climb. Gas self launchers more like 60 - 90 minutes. So to match gas duration, you would need a 6x improvement in battery capacity. Now you only need what you need, but the gas tanks in gas self launchers weren't made extra large for fun.
  #6  
Old January 10th 18, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,344
Default Electric Towplane sets a new climb record



On 1/9/2018 5:51 PM, Renny wrote:
Now, Nick...What you really need is more snow to fall in Telluride! (Maybe tonight!)
Thanks - Renny

And after 95 straight dry days, I'm finally seeing a tiny bit of snow
falling!
--
Dan, 5J
  #7  
Old January 13th 18, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nick Kennedy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 124
Default Electric Towplane sets a new climb record

During that record setting tow I wonder how hot those batterys got. Is that the limiting factor in producing power, the over heating of the batterys? Getting on the edge of combustion must be quite the worry for those guys.
Does anybody have a guess to the operating time at full power for that record setting Extra?
  #8  
Old January 13th 18, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,780
Default Electric Towplane sets a new climb record

On Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 12:36:23 PM UTC-5, Nick Kennedy wrote:
During that record setting tow I wonder how hot those batterys got. Is that the limiting factor in producing power, the over heating of the batterys? Getting on the edge of combustion must be quite the worry for those guys.
Does anybody have a guess to the operating time at full power for that record setting Extra?


Motor temp is also a limiting factor. Get too hot and you can hurt the magnets based on what I've read.
UH
  #9  
Old January 13th 18, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,821
Default Electric Towplane sets a new climb record

My experience in the Electro in Uvalde and Kansas is that motor temp becomes an issue well before battery and controller temp.
  #10  
Old January 14th 18, 11:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,308
Default Electric Towplane sets a new climb record

On Sunday, January 14, 2018 at 8:32:19 AM UTC+13, Tony wrote:
My experience in the Electro in Uvalde and Kansas is that motor temp
becomes an issue well before battery and controller temp.


Depends on the machine. Antares has better motor cooling,
but batteries start to get hot and require early shutdown
at Uvalde for example (I typically shut down 800-1000 ft).
Perhaps cooling for enclosed FES motor isn't as good?

See ya, Dave
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
360 HP Electric Extra Sets Climb Record Larry Dighera Piloting 0 December 9th 16 11:08 PM
Siemens' 110 lb world-record electric aircraft motor produce 348 hp at 2,500 RPM Larry Dighera Piloting 29 December 2nd 15 09:29 PM
electric speed record (141kts) with a cricri Philippe[_4_] Home Built 0 September 13th 10 07:31 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2018 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.