Got to land a King Air 90 today...

Old February 28th 04, 05:55 AM
Jay Beckman

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
news:r5U%b.419957$xy6.2394396@attbi_s02...
And I'm still giggling, probably from sleep deprivation. Here's how it
happened:

Waaaay too cool, Jay !!

A great experience and a great write up to boot !

Jay Beckman
Chandler, AZ
Student Pilot

Old February 28th 04, 06:14 AM
Peter Duniho

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
How does it feel to have turbine time in your logbook?

Well, TECHNICALLY, not being multi-engine rated, I suppose I can't legally
log the time.

And TECHNICALLY, Ron's not a CFI, so I guess I can't legally can't log the
time.

You can log whatever you want. You just can't use the time toward some FAA
requirement. Make sure it's noted/excluded somehow, and otherwise put it in
the log book however you want.

But you know what? I'm not building hours for anything or anyone. I'm
gonna write 'em in the book anyway! :-)

I'm still trying to figure out why TECHNICALLY you are permitted to
manipulate the controls during a for-pay charter flight, even if the flight
is under Part 91.

I suspect you broke an FAR somewhere, but I admit that I don't know where
that FAR might be. Not in Part 91, I know that.

Pete

Old February 28th 04, 06:21 AM
C J Campbell

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
link.net...
Great story! If a KA90 costs $900/hr to operate, I wonder how these guys
are chartering one for $775?
http://www.fargojet.com/charter_kingair-c90.htm

It depends on the age of the plane and how you amortize the cost. Actual
operating cost of a King Air C90 is about $1/mile, or less than $300/hour.
If your King Air does not fly much, you have to spread fixed costs like
insurance, annual inspections, and interest over fewer hours, meaning a
higher cost per hour. So the cost per hour for a charter company may well be
lower than that of a less frequently used corporate plane.

Old February 28th 04, 06:35 AM
Chris Hoffmann

Lucky dog!

Very good story. But strangely, rather than looking at KingAir pix, I'm
checking out steak joints.....

Old February 28th 04, 06:42 AM
C J Campbell

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
[...]

If the flight is part 91 then it is subject to part 91 rules, none of which
would forbid even a non-pilot from operating the controls.

The flight is not really a charter. A doctor donates the use of his airplane
and pilot to fly a mission for a related party. Hardly unusual and certainly
well within the limits of part 91. Now, whether the flight violated school
sports recruiting standards might be another matter. :-)

Old February 28th 04, 07:39 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

If the flight is part 91 then it is subject to part 91 rules, none of

which
would forbid even a non-pilot from operating the controls.

The flight is not really a charter. A doctor donates the use of his

airplane
and pilot to fly a mission for a related party. Hardly unusual and

certainly
well within the limits of part 91. Now, whether the flight violated school
sports recruiting standards might be another matter. :-)

Hey, Jay!! If it was the University of Colorado, they might have had a
stripper on-board.

Old February 28th 04, 07:44 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
link.net...
Great story! If a KA90 costs $900/hr to operate, I wonder how these guys
are chartering one for $775?
http://www.fargojet.com/charter_kingair-c90.htm

Where do you see $900 in there. What I see is the PRICE of $775 (meaning
they'd take a loss of $125 an hour).

My numbers how a direct hourly cost of $558 for a C90. Hell, our company
JetProp1000 costs about $625 (direct $$).

Old February 28th 04, 07:47 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
link.net...
Great story! If a KA90 costs $900/hr to operate, I wonder how these

guys
are chartering one for $775?
http://www.fargojet.com/charter_kingair-c90.htm

It depends on the age of the plane and how you amortize the cost. Actual
operating cost of a King Air C90 is about $1/mile, or less than $300/hour.
If your King Air does not fly much, you have to spread fixed costs like
insurance, annual inspections, and interest over fewer hours, meaning a
higher cost per hour. So the cost per hour for a charter company may well

be
lower than that of a less frequently used corporate plane.

Direct costs (not actual) is fuel, maintenance reserves, lubricants...

Then hourly allocated costs are insurance, depreciation, hanger, training,
updates/upgrades, pilots fees (only if applicable)...

I doubt the C90 has a direct cost of $1.00 a mile.

Old February 28th 04, 07:52 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
And I'm still giggling, probably from sleep deprivation. Here's how it
happened:

[snip]

5:30 AM came mighty early today. But I wouldn't have traded last night

for
anything!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Quite a rush, huh!!

Maybe I can talk the boss into a trip out there and you can get some JetProp
time.

Do you have a Skyraider room? If so, he definitely WILL come out.

Old February 28th 04, 01:48 PM
Jay Honeck

Hey, Jay!! If it was the University of Colorado, they might have had a
stripper on-board.

A true sign that I'm getting older:

If I had to choose between having the stripper on board, with me as a
passenger -- or me on board, acting as co-pilot in the right seat -- I'd
choose the right seat.

Sad, ain't it?

Actually, now that I think about it, I guess that choice can't be made until
we know the ground rules with the stripper, can it?

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA