Katrina fall-out

Old August 31st 05, 11:36 PM
Peter R.

Jay Honeck wrote:

Why the hell were they there? Everyone in America knew that New Orleans --
and everything for 100 miles on each side -- was about to be blasted by
Katrina.

Jay, many didn't have the economic means to escape the storm, nor a place
to which to escape. That area is about the poorest part of the US.

--
Peter

Old September 1st 05, 12:05 AM
Dave Stadt

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 13:13:26 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote in
W1iRe.295446$_o.49447@attbi_s71::

I wonder if the insurance companies (and the federal government) will
FINALLY wake up to the fact that building permanent structures below
sea-level in a hurricane zone is folly?

I can understand how your computer malfunctions might be obliquely
construed as aviation related, on-topic, for this newsgroup, but I
completely fail to see how the subject of this article differs from
obnoxious spam. Or has this newsgroup become Jay's sandbox?

I'd much rather it become Jay's sandbox than your septic tank.

Old September 1st 05, 12:07 AM
Dave Stadt

"Peter R." wrote in message
Jay Honeck wrote:

Why the hell were they there? Everyone in America knew that New

Orleans --
and everything for 100 miles on each side -- was about to be blasted by
Katrina.

Jay, many didn't have the economic means to escape the storm, nor a place
to which to escape. That area is about the poorest part of the US.

--
Peter

And many stayed because they knew it would probably be a free for all.
Based on the news footage the cops are the worst of the lot.

Old September 1st 05, 12:17 AM
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 22:25:53 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote in
R7qRe.79145$084.55689@attbi_s22::

Don't you think it's foolhardy to ...

Personally, I think the off-topic articles tend to drive away those
who expect to find aviation related information and discussion in
rec.aviation.piloting; I'm referring to original articles here, not
follup articles (It's probably futile to attempt to constrain follup
discussion). If you choose to dilute the appropriate content by
posting articles that lack aviation relevance, let alone 'piloting'
relevance, your action reduces the signal-to-noise ratio, and drives
away those potential participants who may wish to participate in more
serious piloting discussion and provide relevant on-topic content, in
my opinion.

I know you have met many of the readers of this newsgroup, and you
want to discuss your feelings about off-topic matters with them, but
the world is on the party-line, so to speak. Like most marketers, you
only consider your agenda. Deliberately posting off-topic is rude and
inconsiderate; think about it.

The choice is ours. We can homogenize the newsgroup's content until
it's an unrecognizable Spam like product, or we can try to confine our
non-follup articles to on-topic subjects.

Old September 1st 05, 12:19 AM
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 23:05:33 GMT, "Dave Stadt"
wrote in : :

I'd much rather it become Jay's sandbox than your septic tank.

I guess I expect to much from fellow aviators. :-(
Old September 1st 05, 12:57 AM
john smith

Why the hell were they there? Everyone in America knew that New Orleans --
and everything for 100 miles on each side -- was about to be blasted by
Katrina.

Jay, many didn't have the economic means to escape the storm, nor a place
to which to escape. That area is about the poorest part of the US.

I noted from the footage that most had not missed many meals.
Old September 1st 05, 01:43 AM
Peter R.

john smith wrote:

I noted from the footage that most had not missed many meals.

You really shouldn't get all of your post-secondary education from the
evening news.

When I was sixteen I worked at a grocery store on the fringe of a poor
section of a city. There were a lot of welfare recipients who shopped at
this store to buy their weekly groceries.

I witnessed many of these folks spending US gov't money on very poor food
choices. Couple that with the fact that most of these folks get absolutely
zero exercise and it doesn't take a superb imagination to understand why
many look the way they do.

--
Peter

Old September 1st 05, 02:04 AM
Bob Fry

"JH" == Jay Honeck writes:

JH Why the hell were they there?

Ah, finally we see an example of "conservative compassion."

They're there because they're there. No fricking place is safe,
Jay. Next time some huge blizzard shuts down the mid-west for days or
weeks I'll remember your answer. Next time a tornado rips through
I'll ask, "why the hell were you living there?"

I mean ****, Jay. Life is 100% fatal. What's the point? Why eat
breakfast? You'll just be hungry again at lunch. It's all fricking
pointless.
Old September 1st 05, 03:04 AM
john smith

Bob Fry wrote:
Ah, finally we see an example of "conservative compassion."
They're there because they're there. No fricking place is safe,
Jay. Next time some huge blizzard shuts down the mid-west for days or
weeks I'll remember your answer. Next time a tornado rips through
I'll ask, "why the hell were you living there?"
I mean ****, Jay. Life is 100% fatal. What's the point? Why eat
breakfast? You'll just be hungry again at lunch. It's all fricking
pointless.

Bob, how much money has been spent on the south to recover from the
repeated hurricane damage?

How much money has been spent on the midwest from blizzard, flood and
tornado recovery?

My perception is hundreds of billions in the south vice tens of billions
for the midwest.

The midwest tax base is steadily shrinking do to loss of jobs to other
locals. Money repeatedly spent to hurricane damaged infrastructure in
the south siphons money away from repairing the crumbling midwest
infrastructure even once.

I don't mind my tax dollars going where needed, but to repeatedly spend
money on the same things says that the money is not being spent correctly.
Old September 1st 05, 03:10 AM
Jay Honeck

When I was sixteen I worked at a grocery store on the fringe of a poor
section of a city. There were a lot of welfare recipients who shopped at
this store to buy their weekly groceries.

I witnessed many of these folks spending US gov't money on very poor food
choices. Couple that with the fact that most of these folks get
absolutely
zero exercise and it doesn't take a superb imagination to understand why
many look the way they do.

America is the only country in the world with fat poor people.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Fall Photo Shoots Arnold Sten Piloting 7 October 8th 04 04:29 PM
Windsocks ,. Great fall special $ 15 for 1 or $ 25 for 2 GASSITT Aviation Marketplace 0 October 6th 04 05:12 AM
Tomcats gone by fall of 2006 Mike Weeks Naval Aviation 48 June 22nd 04 02:32 PM
NE fall foliage report Cub Driver Piloting 0 October 19th 03 12:25 PM
Fall Colors Flights! Jack Cunniff Piloting 2 October 15th 03 10:06 PM