SO WHAT DID YOUR PARENTS DO IN THE BIG WAR

Old November 12th 07, 08:47 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Jeff[_8_]

Default SO WHAT DID YOUR PARENTS DO IN THE BIG WAR

My Dad served in 672nd amphibious tractor division of the army for a couple
of years, one of which was in the Philipines. This was the division that
delivered the troops to the Los Banos P.O.W. camp in the somewhat famous
and daring rescue of the camp's civilian prisoners, and collected and
transported them out of the camp to the safety of the army's lines. I don't
know if he was part of that operation or not. My efforts to find out the
details of his service were fruitless, since his records, as well as
thousands (millions?) of others were destroyed in a V.A. fire years ago.
And he died many years ago, long before he and I had reached a point we
could have discussed his war experiences.

"SHIVER ME TIMBERS" wrote in message
Well after watching the Ken Burns series THE WAR ad naseum ad naseum,
I thought I'd come into the group today with one of my curious questions.

What did your parents, family, etc. do in the big WWII.

Mine worked at the Canada Car foundry in what was then called
Fort William, Ontario.

They were inspectors helping to make Hawker Hurricanes and later other
types of figthers including the Curtis Helldiver.

How about your folks.....

Old November 12th 07, 09:48 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Guybrush Threepwood

My grandfather was a german soldier and fought first in France then in Russia. He was wounded three times and fell in todays Poland
by end 1944.

--

Gruß Guybrush

Mails landen im Mülleimer!

Old November 13th 07, 05:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Jim[_8_]

"john smith" wrote in message
"john smith" wrote in message

My father was an Army Air Corp radio operator.
He operated out of Southeast Asia.
He was part of the OSS program that sent radio operators behind
Japaneses lines.

https://www.cia.gov/library/center-f...gence/csi-publ
ications/books-and-monographs/oss/art09.htm

In article ,
"Jim" jaahrens NOSPAM at yahoo dot com wrote:

My uncle (OSS also) flew those guys in and out -- He never talked about
it
except for one story regarding a small snafu in Thailand.

Anything you can share?

Yes, but give me a couple of days -- I have to dig up the detail notes --

Old November 19th 07, 07:54 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Garrapata

How about your folks.....

My parents were married on December 7 1941 at Ft Lewis Washington.
(their honeymoon was delayed)
At the time my father was an Army corporal in the medical corps and my
mother was a Lieutenant Army nurse. She was not allowed to stay in the
Army after she was married and spent the war having my brother and me.
In 1942-44 my father was stationed at Camp Barkley, Abilene Texas where
he taught hand to hand combat. Then he went to OCS and was transferred
to Camp Pickett, Virginia before going to Germany to help open a
hospital at Nuremberg just after the war ended.
An Uncle was a Marine pilot who survived without a scratch and on his
first back in the states was hit by a taxi and spent 6 weeks in the
hospital
--

09=ix