Engine sound of Rotax 912

Old May 16th 05, 11:19 PM
JK

Default Engine sound of Rotax 912

Here's a tough question, but I'll try anyway. Can anyone describe the sound
of a Rotax 912? I'm thinking of building a Zodiac XL, and have heard the
Zenith demo plane equipped with the Jabiru 3300, but I don't know if I have
ever heard the sound of a Rotax 912. Although sound may not be an important
characteristic, I'm still curious. The Jabiru has a nice tone, similar to
the Lycomings that I am familiar with. Does the higher-revving Rotax have a
buzzing sound?

Thanks,
John

Old May 17th 05, 12:45 AM

If you are located anywhere near Corvallis, Oregon, USA, I'd be happy to
demonstrate my Rotax 912S powered Savannah. With the muffler, the predominent
sound is the propeller. I think it sounds sort of like a well muffled V8 car
engine. By the way, the 100hp Rotax weighs about 136 pounds. TBO is now 1500
hours.

tom pettit

Old May 17th 05, 01:29 AM
Morgans

"JK" wrote in message news:C%8ie.5835

Can anyone describe the sound
of a Rotax 912?

How does a sewing machine sound? Yep, that's it!

Sewing machines usually work for many hours with good reliability, with no
more care than addition of a bit of lightweight oil. Rotax? Hmmm.
--
Jim in NC

Old May 17th 05, 11:27 AM
NewsGroups

Your question is stupid as the Jabiru will sound really quiet when it
FAILS. All you will hear is your heart and heavy breathing on the way
down !!

Check the Australian accident ststistics and fatalities behind Jabiru
engines

Old May 17th 05, 05:02 PM
OtisWinslow

"karel" wrote in message

(IOW less Harley-Davidson-like)
My 2 (euro-)cents...
Karel

Hey .. what's wrong with that nice HD sound?

Old May 17th 05, 10:17 PM
Blueskies

wrote:
Here's a tough question, but I'll try anyway. Can anyone describe the sound
of a Rotax 912? I'm thinking of building a Zodiac XL, and have heard the
Zenith demo plane equipped with the Jabiru 3300, but I don't know if I have
ever heard the sound of a Rotax 912. Although sound may not be an important
characteristic, I'm still curious. The Jabiru has a nice tone, similar to
the Lycomings that I am familiar with. Does the higher-revving Rotax have a
buzzing sound?

Thanks,
John

I think more like a throaty old VW 2180cc engine

Old May 18th 05, 07:19 AM
NewsGroups

Try the ATSB.gov.au or the RAA.asn.au web sites, most Jabiru powered
aircraft are registered as ULTRALIGHTS so they dont have official govt
reporting and investigation, they just list it as another fatality under
the aircraft type. But with the loss of 3 friends in 2 seperate engine
failure accidents you tend to get a little wary.

Anonymous because of industry involvment but we have spoken before on
other matters.

Richard Riley wrote:

:
:Check the Australian accident ststistics and fatalities behind Jabiru
:engines

Any suggestion as to HOW to check those statistics, mr. anonymous
newsgroup poster? I don't get anything from google. Or should we
write you off as Tuesday's Troll?

Old May 18th 05, 10:36 AM
Darrel Toepfer

Richard Riley wrote:

Any suggestion as to HOW to check those statistics, mr. anonymous
newsgroup poster? I don't get anything from google. Or should we
write you off as Tuesday's Troll?

Michael Coates isn't anonymous or a troll...
Old May 18th 05, 05:15 PM
Gordon Arnaut

I have flown in several Rotax 912-powered planes and I like the low noise,
vibration and harshness.

Some people describe the Rotax as a little sewing machine up front and I
guess compared to big thumping Lycoming it is a fair characterization.

However, after an hour in the air, that big thumping up front has worn out
its welcome, while the Rotax makes for a very civilized and comfortable
flying experience.

Regards,

Gordon Arnaut.

Old May 18th 05, 09:32 PM

I fly a Rotax powered Savannah, and I've had many compliments on how quiet it
is. As I mentioned earlier, most of the noise is from the prop.

tom

Rotax 912 questions RPar Home Built 13 February 12th 09 03:12 PM
New Rotax engine maintenance DVD video [email protected] Home Built 0 April 7th 05 02:11 AM
Dennis Fetters Mini 500 EmailMe Home Built 70 June 21st 04 09:36 PM
Rotax 582 engine problems L. Darte Home Built 6 May 9th 04 01:49 AM
Corky's engine choice Corky Scott Home Built 39 August 8th 03 04:29 AM