Updating to Flarm 6.42 seems to fail?

Old February 25th 18, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Default Updating to Flarm 6.42 seems to fail?

Try re-downloading the PowerFLARM Firmware file. Is there a chance you accidentally downloaded the classic FLARM file?

If you're using a Mac to download the file, try a PC.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

On Sunday, February 25, 2018 at 11:31:06 AM UTC-6, jfitch wrote:
On Sunday, February 25, 2018 at 9:06:10 AM UTC-8, jfitch wrote:
On Sunday, February 25, 2018 at 7:24:23 AM UTC-8, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
On Saturday, February 24, 2018 at 10:12:22 PM UTC-8, jfitch wrote:
On Saturday, February 24, 2018 at 7:43:34 PM UTC-8, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
On Saturday, February 24, 2018 at 5:15:26 PM UTC-8, jfitch wrote:
I tried updating my PowerFlarm to 6.42, expires in 11/19. It has 6.40 now, expires 2/19. It persistently does not update. The log file says it found the firmware file, confirmed its applicability, copies it to memory. But subsequently it comes up reporting 6.40, expiring 2/19. It also reports this to other things it talks to.

Anybody having this problem, and any suggestions?

John

Make a FLARMCFG.TXT file with

$PFLAC,S,DEF
$PFLAC,S,CLEARLOGS

Start the PowerFlarm with only this FLARMCFG.TXT on the stick.

Wait until you have a solid green or solid red light.

Then put the new firmware on a clean formatted USB stick.

Insert power up the PowerFlarm and wait until you have a solid red (no GPS LOCK)
or a Solid Green (GPS LOCK)

You can then connect a display and check the firmware version.

Have patience nothing happens fast. Wait 5 minutes but not longer.

Old February 26th 18, 06:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

[...]

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Thanks, I'll try clearing it all out and see if it takes. Once cleared, do you do the firmware first, then a config file?

If you try to update the PowerFlarm using a USB stick with only the firmware on it the unit will download all the flights first and it could take a long time.

That is why the cfg with $PFLAC,S,DEF $PFLAC,S,CLEARLOGS.

I do the firmware first and then your config file.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

The solution: If you copied the firmware file to the USB drive on a Mac, erase the hidden "._XXXX.fw" file (note it is the same name as the real one, but preceded by the characters "._"). The easiest way to do this is to mount the USB drive on a Windows machine and delete them. There are some console commands to do this on OSX/Unix which you can Google. In the past, the Flarm has ignored these files as they are not the right name and have nothing like the right contents. On this update, it seems to confuse the Flarm. Mac writes the same file for the FLARMCFG.TXT file, but the Flarm continues to ignore that one.

Thanks to Richard for pointing me the right direction on this.
Old February 26th 18, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

On Sunday, February 25, 2018 at 9:46:01 PM UTC-8, jfitch wrote:
[...]

The same problem occurs when transferring .cup files from a mac to the Oudie. mac creates these empty files with "._" in front of the name. Its easy to accidentally select one of these instead of the real one when changing waypoint files on the Oudie, then no turn points show up in the list.

Matt