Power Lines..

Old August 21st 06, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Default Power Lines..

Ron Natalie wrote:
Dan wrote:
I've seen power lines marked on sectionals. How high are the highest
major power transmission lines? They look quite high from the ground,
but there's not much to give perspective.

--Dan

Power lines are marked for use as visual landmarks, NOT as obstructions.

No kidding. You shouldn't even be worried about power lines, unless
you're spraying or doing some strange kind of helicopter work.
Old August 22nd 06, 01:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Dave S" wrote in message
nk.net...
... I live on the gulf coast, and pretty much the vast majority are 200
feet or less. Crossing a major ship channel, or the mississippi, you may
find them up to 500 feet agl though, to allow ships to pass under.

Dave

Clearances above water:
Golden Gate Bridge, 220 feet

Brooklyn Bridge 135 feet at mid-span

George Washington Bridge 64.62 meters (212 ft) at mid-span

San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge 220 feet (67 m) (west span) 191 feet (58 m)
(east span)

Mackinac Bridge 155 ft (47 m)

What later became known as the Crescent City Connection was the second
bridge to span the Mississippi south of Baton Rouge after the Huey P. Long
Bridge a few miles up river from the city, and the first bridge across the
river in New Orleans itself. 51.8 meters (170 feet)

Ambassador Bridge and Blue Water Bridge (both run between Michigan and
Ontario over the Detroit and St. Claire Rivers respectively) are both 152
feet above the water.

source: en.wikipedia.org

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old August 22nd 06, 02:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave S

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe wrote:

Clearances above water:
Golden Gate Bridge, 220 feet

Brooklyn Bridge 135 feet at mid-span

George Washington Bridge 64.62 meters (212 ft) at mid-span

San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge 220 feet (67 m) (west span) 191 feet (58 m)
(east span)

Mackinac Bridge 155 ft (47 m)

Fred Hartmann bridge in Baytown (Houston) over the ship channel 178 feet
with 440 ft suspension towers. Tall power lines nearby that cross the
channel.

Cooper River Bridge in Charleston, SC (near a former naval base) 200 ft
clearance with over 575 ft suspension towers.
Old August 22nd 06, 01:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stefan

Emily schrieb:

No kidding. You shouldn't even be worried about power lines, unless
you're spraying or doing some strange kind of helicopter work.

Or unless you're flying in the mountains, where they become too often
deadly traps to flatlanders who don't even worry about them.

Stefan
Old August 22nd 06, 01:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Or where powerlines cross a river valley, airplanes
following the valley can often be well clear of the river
and still be caught by the powerlines strung from towers on
the ridges on each side.

. ..

Old August 22nd 06, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gene Seibel

Ocassionally I see one with obstruction lighting. I'm guessing those
are over 200 feet and the rest under 200.
--
Gene Seibel
Gene & Sue's Aeroplanes - http://pad39a.com/gene/planes.html

Old August 22nd 06, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Leonard Milcin Jr.

Jim Macklin wrote:
Or where powerlines cross a river valley, airplanes
following the valley can often be well clear of the river
and still be caught by the powerlines strung from towers on
the ridges on each side.

Or even worse, kill other people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavales...e-car_disaster

"The restrictions in effect at the time required a minimum flying height
of 2000 feet (600 m); the pilot said he thought they were 1000 feet (300
m). The cable was cut at a height of 360 feet (110 m)."

Leonard