Airport Geocaching

Old April 14th 05, 03:25 AM
SeeAndAvoid

Default Airport Geocaching

If you're looking for something to do with your airplane, check out
a site I'm messing with at
http://www.longmontairport.com/apgeo.htm

Some of the regular posters on here have their airport represented
by the map showing geocaches near airports. I tried to scare up a
little interest in this a year or so ago, but no one seemed interested.
I figured if these gps caches were closer to airports, like within
walking distance, it'd get a little more interest.

There is nothing to gain for me, or geocaching.com out of this, it's
just a fun thing to do with a gps, an airplane, and friends and family.
The site this is attached to is a non-profit airport support website,
so there's no hidden financial agenda or conspiracy here. But be
warned, I do reference and link to Jay's Rogue's Gallery, so if that
offends you (you get offended too easily), DON'T GO!

It's still WAY UNDER CONSTRUCTION, but some airports listed
so far: BFM, SZT, SAC, PWT, PWM, etc. Like to get at least one
per state, or any cool places to fly to, good places to eat - and then
walk it off doing a geocache.

Later, Chris

Old April 14th 05, 04:31 PM
Gene Seibel

Good idea. It's not for everyone, but for my wife and I it's a great
way to go out and get some physical exercise along with a little mental
exercise and fresh air. Also a great way for kids to learn geography,
history, navigation and common sense. And most of us pilots already
have the GPS, so it's a perfect fit.
--
Gene Seibel
Gene & Sue's Aeroplanes - http://pad39a.com/gene/planes.html

Old April 16th 05, 02:17 AM
SeeAndAvoid

Updated the airport geocache site with 56 geocaches now and all
50 states represented. Thanks for those of you who wrote in and
contributed to the list.
Chris

Old April 16th 05, 07:11 AM
SeeAndAvoid

New link for Airport Geocaches:
http://www.airportgeocaches.com
simple enough.

Chris

Old April 16th 05, 02:44 PM
Mark Morissette

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 06:11:18 GMT, "SeeAndAvoid"
wrote:

New link for Airport Geocaches:
http://www.airportgeocaches.com
simple enough.

Cool idea! I'm a Geocacher too...

Just FYI, the Geocaching site does discourage (or for that matter,
prohibit) Geocaches on airport property, so if anyone is thinking of
placing a dedicated "Airport" cache, be advised it should be off the
property and accessable to the public.

I've also heard that any caches placed unreasonably closed to approach
paths (For example, right at the end of a runway, off airport property
or not) will not be approved.

That aside, I have a Travel Bug of my own which is specifically
aviation related.. If anyone wants to fly into CYOO and pick him up,
I'd be happy to have him ready. (Yep, fat chance! Heheh..) :-)

The Travel Bug page is listed here, for anyone interested:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/deta...6-61f9e0afeaab

And of course, my student-pilot blog:

http://oshawapilot.blogspot.com

Old April 23rd 05, 07:40 AM
SeeAndAvoid

Airport Geocaches ( http://www.airportgeocaches.com/ )
now has over 200 geocaches near airports, most within
walking distance. If you've been there before, make sure
you refresh/reload as the "Listings" page has been
improved and the link/page has changed.

Thanks to the ones who have made suggestions -
you know who you are. Oshkosh has it's own link
with a ton of geocaches around town.

Let me know if you visit some of the caches, or if you know of some
not yet listed.

Chris

WI airport closure Mike Spera Owning 0 March 9th 05 01:53 PM
NAS and associated computer system Newps Instrument Flight Rules 8 August 12th 04 05:12 AM
N94 Airport may expand into mobile home community, locals supportive William Summers Piloting 0 March 18th 04 03:03 AM
Rules on what can be in a hangar Brett Justus Owning 13 February 27th 04 05:35 PM