Daughter (15) solo in family PW-6

Old December 28th 04, 04:18 PM
Charles Yeates

Default Daughter (15) solo in family PW-6

Rod Morris of Calgary, AB, mentioned in his Christmas letter ---

By the way Kenna (15) went solo this year and instead of asking for the
car keys, she's asking for the keys to the PW6!!. She is already
planning to spend half of next summer in a tent on the airfield at
Invermere. I am sure Roger will follow in no time but he needs 2 more
years before he turns 14 plus one to go solo. However, he flew 10 hours
this year in just four flights including a wave flight to 15,000'. All I
do for him is the take off & landing and have a good yak with him in
between. He has the touch, now he just needs the years and some theory.

Nice to read about younger follow-ons, eh?

--
Charles Yeates

http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/yeatesc/world.html

Old December 29th 04, 12:26 AM
Scott

Cool beans!! I took my first soaring lesson last December and I paid to
have my daughter go up with another instructor. My daugther was only
nine, but she had enough time with me flying my Corben (powered, sorry!)
that she had no difficulty with the Schweitzer except not being able to
reach the rudder pedals. I hope she takes up soaring in earnest in a
few years. Hopefully I'll have my add-on by then and will own some 2
place glider...

Scott
Bloomer, Wisconsin

Old December 29th 04, 02:42 AM
Charles Petersen

It was my son Niels, who enrolled in the Air Cadet program (CAP to you
yanks) at York Soaring, who got the first licence in the family. I watched
him solo, asked about lessons, and when I found out I could get 4 lessons a
day ("well you can get more but you'll fry your brain!"), I signed up
without even an Intro flight.

We took the Instructor endorsement together, and he helped me this summer
past with Freedom's Wings Canada, (www.freedomswings.ca) , in particular
with a week in Ottawa demonstrating the program. Next week he is off to
Estrella for a week of Acro instruction, with his girlfriend who is also a
gliding Instructor at York, following my lead at Turf.

It is a delight to fly with your offspring, and I am comforted that when I
get to the age when I need a 'safety pilot', I will have only to buy the
appropriate 2 seater and I'll spend even more time flying with him. His
love of aviation has carried him through the Aerospace Engineering program,
and I now find that as with so many other things, he is better trained than
I.

Fatherhood really can be fun.

Old December 29th 04, 04:13 AM
keithw

I think Rod is in for a very eye opening experience next year when he
tries to take out the PW-6 and gets in trouble with his new syndicate
members ( Kenna and Roger )

Perhaps it will be Rod who will have to ask for permission to take out
the family PW-6 !!

--
keithw
- A website for Australian Pilots regardless of when, why, or what they fly -

Old December 29th 04, 02:51 PM
COLIN LAMB

Wait until he gets in and finds that someone brought it back home and parked
it and left the oxygen tank empty.

---

1.4 solo.. Beav Rotorcraft 0 November 5th 04 01:27 AM
Catastrophic Decompression; Small Place Solo Aviation Piloting 193 January 13th 04 09:52 PM
"I Want To FLY!"-(Youth) My store to raise funds for flying lessons Curtl33 General Aviation 7 January 10th 04 12:35 AM
PC flight simulators Bjørnar Bolsøy Military Aviation 178 December 14th 03 01:14 PM
Lindbergh's other family Larry Dighera Piloting 11 December 3rd 03 01:30 AM