EAA plans major building expansion?

Old May 28th 08, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Fry

Default EAA plans major building expansion?

From an RV list:

I saw an interesting story this morning on the local news.
Apparently EAA is planning a 10 year project to expand the
Airventure grounds and build 2 new exhibit buildings. The current
plan looks to link the existing 4 buildings into two pairs buy
building a new two story building between them and updating the
existing buildings with the usual convention center amenities like
bathrooms. The city of OSH is talking about abandoning their
existing convention center downtown and teaming up with EAA to turn
Airventure grounds into a new OSH convention center.

I bring this up because a lot of people feel that EAA has become too
commercial and has forgotten their constituency. I know this is the
first I have heard of this and a quick search on Google turns up
nothing except a couple of the local news stories. I would think
that EAA would want to share such large initiatives with the members
before going full speed ahead.

I don't think this is necessarily a bad idea, and OSH could
certainly use the additional resources year around, but I would like
to know exactly how EAA feels this will help experimental aviation
advocacy and how they feel this will help the organization. This
isn't a cheap endeavor at 20 million and it's a lot of our EAA dues
going into it. My point to this is, if you are a member, let EAA
know how you feel about this being done whether it's good or bad.

http://www.myfoxnewisconsin.com/myfo...Y&pageId=3.2.1

http://tinyurl.com/67r7kl
--
Each of us is confined to a world of our own making.
~ Shawn Mikula
Old May 28th 08, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

Bob Fry wrote:
From an RV list:

[...]

Any time the city gets involved with the airport in a positive way it is
usually a good thing.
Old May 28th 08, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_2_]

This was also mentioned in the latest issue of EAA's Sport Pilot magazine.
For those not familiar with OSH except during EAA events, the grounds are
used through-out the year for several other major events including Ducks
Unlimited Outdoor Expo, a large Farm Equipment and Energy Expo, and
occasionally large music events.
Jim

Old May 28th 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Gezellig

On Wed, 28 May 2008 09:44:36 -0500, Gig 601Xl Builder wrote:

Any time the city gets involved with the airport in a positive way it is
usually a good thing.

huh?
Old May 28th 08, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

Gezellig wrote:
On Wed, 28 May 2008 09:44:36 -0500, Gig 601Xl Builder wrote:

Any time the city gets involved with the airport in a positive way it is
usually a good thing.

huh?

Airventure is held at this magical place we call an airport. An airport
is where the lift fairies live. If the city that is adjacent to the
airport likes and invests time, money and political support to the
airport it makes the lift faries happy.
Old May 28th 08, 11:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Gezellig

On Wed, 28 May 2008 16:11:51 -0500, Gig 601Xl Builder wrote:

Gezellig wrote:
On Wed, 28 May 2008 09:44:36 -0500, Gig 601Xl Builder wrote:

Any time the city gets involved with the airport in a positive way it is
usually a good thing.

huh?

Airventure is held at this magical place we call an airport. An airport
is where the lift fairies live. If the city that is adjacent to the
airport likes and invests time, money and political support to the
airport it makes the lift faries happy.

Hobkie on all that.

"Any time the city gets involved with the airport in a positive way it
is usually a good thing" Huh?

How about "Usually when the city gets involved with the airport in a
positive way it is always a good thing"
Old May 28th 08, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
cavelamb himself[_4_]

Gezellig wrote:

On Wed, 28 May 2008 09:44:36 -0500, Gig 601Xl Builder wrote:

Any time the city gets involved with the airport in a positive way it is
usually a good thing.

huh?

Airventure is held at this magical place we call an airport. An airport
is where the lift fairies live. If the city that is adjacent to the
airport likes and invests time, money and political support to the
airport it makes the lift faries happy.

Hobkie on all that.

"Any time the city gets involved with the airport in a positive way it
is usually a good thing" Huh?

How about "Usually when the city gets involved with the airport in a
positive way it is always a good thing"

What-ever.

As long as teh lift faries are happy.
That's what's important here!
Old May 29th 08, 01:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"Jim Burns" wrote in message . ..
This was also mentioned in the latest issue of EAA's Sport Pilot magazine.
For those not familiar with OSH except during EAA events, the grounds are
used through-out the year for several other major events including Ducks
Unlimited Outdoor Expo, a large Farm Equipment and Energy Expo, and
occasionally large music events.
Jim

And I seem to remember comments about fixing up and changing things around last year or the year before, but no specific
plans were made...

Old May 29th 08, 02:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
351DP

I have a friend on EAAs board that basically confirms that they are
expanding Airventure. I guess EAA makes 80% or more of their cash off
of Airventure and the board intends to focus on the event. Much of
this money comes from the big displays, I guess Cirrus, Cessna,
Lycoming and the like make a ton of money at the show. He also said
that one of the other folks on the Board is a former or present CFO,
CEO, whatever of either six flags or Bush Gardens Amusement parks.
The new plan includes some sort of tram, better bathrooms, more bells
and whistles: He didn't mention rides but get ready for a more Disney-
Like Airventure non the less.
Old May 29th 08, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

I bring this up because a lot of people feel that EAA has become too
commercial and has forgotten their constituency.

EAA is a big business with a shrinking constituency. Look at the "Gone
West" column each month, and all the empty airports, and it's easy to see
what they're up against.

If expanding the Airventure grounds so that it may be better used for other
events helps to preserve our annual fly-in, I'm all for it. I wish it were
otherwise, but there just ain't enough new pilots in the pipeline to support
EAA. As a result, their choices are rather stark.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA