#2 OBS, what would you do?

Old August 15th 03, 09:44 PM
Snowbird

Default #2 OBS, what would you do?

Our #2 OBS is a KI-201C. Our avionics guy rescued it when it turned
out to be inop after we bought the plane, by soldering in a $10
capacitor or some such, and it worked flawlessly for about 5 yrs.

Now a 10 degree change on the OBS only produces half deflection.

This time same avionics guy can't find anything to fix (so far).

Our set-up is #1 KX-170B w/ glideslope receiver, KI-206 (I think)
#2 MX-170B, KI-201C
Apollo 2001 GPS (IFR approach certified), Mid-continent CDI

We're contemplating our options. Replace #2 with a KI-214 (integral
GS receiver) so we have two LOC/GS? with a KI-209a/external GS receiver
so we have 2 LOC/GS but also something which might be capable of VNAV
at a later date?

Leave out the #2 OBS altogether and fill the hole with an electric
horizen gyro? We can identify intersections and back up the loc
with the GPS...course it's less precise...

Other alternatives we haven't considered yet...

Thoughts? What would y'all do?

Cheers,
Sydney
Old August 16th 03, 02:45 PM
Dennis O'Connor

My #1 LOC/GS is currently the KI-214... Purchased outright, used, from
Eastern Avionics.. Driving it with the MX-170B, which is a slide in for the
KX-170... Working just fine for two years now...
Denny

Old August 16th 03, 05:13 PM
Dennis O'Connor

Ignoring used v/s new costs for the moment... Consider the VAL INS-422...
entire VOR/LOC/GS/MB radio in one small hole in the panel... No moving
parts... Should last a long time..

My #2 VOR/LOC/GS is an MX-300A and it has the LED needles built into the
face of the radio... Not legal for approaches I suspect, but it is dead nuts
on when compared to the KI-214... A great comfort to me when I get carried
away and shoot ILS approaches in actual...

I agree on the utility of the 2nd GS... I had a GS fail during an approach -
in actual - a few years back... The &*^%($# piece of lethal crap failed
with the GS needle centered and no warning flag... Only when I noted that
my VSI showed that I was flattening out at ~300 fpm and there was not a
corresponding GS needle deviation, did I begin to question things (up to
that instant I thought I was an ATP)... The ceiling was 100 feet below legal
for a localizer approach, but knowing the airport very well, and knowing
that I was descending into a flat area, free of obstructions, I opted to
keep the localizer needle centered and and the VSI on 380 fpm as called for
on the approach plate... I broke out on center line, and on glide slope
according to the VASI... The MX-300A was ordered the very next day while I
was shopping for a complete #2 nav/com radio package and I stumbled across
it whilest talking to Eastern Avionics owner... It slid into an existing
tray on the panel saving me installation cost... A $35 used splitter for the
GS antenna and I was in business....

Denny
"Snowbird" wrote in message
om...

Old August 16th 03, 09:24 PM
Snowbird

"Dennis O'Connor" wrote in message ...
My #1 LOC/GS is currently the KI-214... Purchased outright, used, from
Eastern Avionics.. Driving it with the MX-170B, which is a slide in for the
KX-170... Working just fine for two years now...

Denny,

How did you handle the install? Did you do it yourself, or have
it done? Approx. hours or cost?

We had our 201C repaired when we bought the plane. It held up
fine for 5 yrs but is now fritzing again.

2 yrs isn't long on the GA timescale :\

Cheers,
Sydney
Old August 16th 03, 11:21 PM
Snowbird

"Dennis O'Connor" wrote in message ...
Ignoring used v/s new costs for the moment... Consider the VAL INS-422...
entire VOR/LOC/GS/MB radio in one small hole in the panel... No moving
parts... Should last a long time..

Actually, we're considering that. Our avionics guy never heard
of it. It's pricier up front but it's *possible* that the installation
costs would even out.

Anyone here w/ experience want to comment?

My #2 VOR/LOC/GS is an MX-300A and it has the LED needles built into the
face of the radio... Not legal for approaches I suspect

Why do you say that? Why shouldn't it be legal for approaches?

I agree on the utility of the 2nd GS... I had a GS fail during an approach -
in actual - a few years back... The &*^%($# piece of lethal crap failed
with the GS needle centered and no warning flag...

Yeah, that's happened to a couple of people we know, leading to
our reluctance to just substitute an electric horizon gyro.

Cheers,
Sydney