New TSA Rule

Old October 20th 04, 09:10 PM
NW_PILOT

Default New TSA Rule

I am wondering if the larger FBO's are going to use this is an excuse to
raise the instruction rates?

Old October 20th 04, 09:18 PM
Peter Duniho

"NW_PILOT" wrote in message
I am wondering if the larger FBO's are going to use this is an excuse to
raise the instruction rates?

"Excuse"? I would be surprised if rates did NOT increase, or at least if
there was not a new surcharge for doing the required background check,
simply for the reason that it DOES cost more money to comply with the new
rules.

I suppose you might call that an "excuse", but it's not like the flight
schools are going to make a profit on the rule.

Pete

Old October 20th 04, 09:48 PM
Jim Burns

A better question would be "I wonder how many independent CFI's will say
"screw it" and give up instructing. Like myself, most of the CFI's that I
know are not trying to build time, they instruct on a part time basis in
addition to a full time career, usually in a non-aviation area. They
volunteer their time at the local airport willing to do what it takes to
introduce new pilots to aviation, barely making enough to keep change for
the vending machines in their pockets. Just how much nonsense are we going
to put up with? Only time will tell.

"NW_PILOT" wrote in message
I am wondering if the larger FBO's are going to use this is an excuse to
raise the instruction rates?

---

Old October 20th 04, 09:49 PM
Peter MacPherson

These are exactly my thoughts. I do this part time because I like to
fly and I like to teach. But at some point all of this nonsense and
hoops you're supposed to jump through will become too much.
Are we supposed to live in fear that we'll get a letter from the TSA/FAA
telling us that we violated some obscure reg and we're now having our
certificates revoked/suspended and also have to pay a fine. I see part time
CFI's just walking away. A real shame.

Old October 20th 04, 10:26 PM
zatatime

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 20:49:21 GMT, "Peter MacPherson"
wrote:

I see part time
CFI's just walking away. A real shame.

Something I'm considering.

If they made the recurrent training every two years to coincide with
CFI renewal, it would help a little bit, but I doubt they'd be
inclined to adjust for that.

We'll see how it shakes out,,,,

Old October 20th 04, 10:35 PM
OtisWinslow

I've thought that when I can retire in another 9 yrs or so that
I'd renew my CFI certificate and teach for the fun of it and to
give something back to aviation. I've come to the conclusion that
this wouldn't be something I will able to afford to do given all the
stuff continually being piled on and the insurance requirements
needed to protect myself.

Old October 20th 04, 10:46 PM
G.R. Patterson III

NW_PILOT wrote:

I am wondering if the larger FBO's are going to use this is an excuse to
raise the instruction rates?

That's not an "excuse"; that's a reason.

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to have
been looking for it.
Old October 21st 04, 12:23 AM
Peter Duniho

"Jim Burns" wrote in message
A better question would be "I wonder how many independent CFI's will say
"screw it" and give up instructing.

Interesting you mention that. I'm in a somewhat unique situation, having
started work on my flight instructor certificate just before my son was
born, and now (having put that work on hold for awhile, as I enjoy being a
dad and have lots of other distractions as well) I'm wondering if I should
even bother finishing up getting my flight instructor certificate.

I thought about mentioning that in response to this thread, but decided not
to, figuring my situation was so uncommon as to be irrelevant. But you're
right...there are plenty of people *already* flight instructors who may also
just give it up.

I have a hard enough time fighting various regulations that try to simply
prevent me from flying altogether. It is becoming increasingly difficult
for me to justify jumping through all the ridiculous hoops required to go
beyond my private-pilot oriented activities. Frankly, I've got plenty of
other interests to keep me busy, and some of those will help pay for my
regular flying a lot better than instructing would. I'm sure I'd enjoy the
instructing part of instructing, but when the job winds up being too much
non-instructing stuff, it's just not worth it.

So, you ask "Just how much nonsense are we going to put up with?" Well,
personally, I've had just about my fill. I think I'm about done...I love
flying, but in this environment it's difficult to justify the headaches.

Pete

Old October 21st 04, 12:35 AM
BTIZ

the only "cost" to the new Rule for an FBO is to see, copy and maintain a
file for proof of US Cit.

how many FBOs country wide have to deal with foreign nationals or green card
holders.

BT

Old October 21st 04, 01:07 AM
NW_PILOT

"BTIZ" wrote in message
the only "cost" to the new Rule for an FBO is to see, copy and maintain a
file for proof of US Cit.

how many FBOs country wide have to deal with foreign nationals or green

card
holders.

BT

I don't think many will and the ones that I have seen in the magazine's that
deal with foreign nationals or green card holders specialize in it. Every
FBO around here that I have dealt with takes a photo of your Drivers
License, Medical, and Other things prior to aircraft rental and/or
instruction.

For an FBO to add a birth certificate, passport, ect. in the mix of
paperwork it cost's a whopping nickel if a passport may not cost any extra
as they are small and probably every thing will fit on a single sheet of
paper. Paper and a photo copy machine is a cost of doing business and can be
written off as an business expense.