LSA Rule Changes

Old April 17th 08, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

Default LSA Rule Changes

The purposed LSA rule changes have made it to the federal docket.
Here's a link.

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2008/pdf/08-1127.pdf
Old April 17th 08, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 10:19:07 -0500, Gig 601Xl Builder
wrote in
:

The purposed LSA rule changes have made it to the federal docket.
Here's a link.

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2008/pdf/08-1127.pdf

Thanks.

Without having done any analysis, I provide this excerpt of the NPRM:

Guide to Terms and Acronyms Frequently
Used in This Document
AGL—Above Ground Level
ATC—Air Traffic Control
CAS—Calibrated Airspeed
DPE—Designated Pilot Examiner
MSL—Mean Sea Level
NDPER—National Designated Pilot Examiner
Registry
PTS—Practical Test Standards
VFR—Visual Flight Rules
VH—Maximum airspeed in level flight with
maximum continuous power

Table of Contents
I. Background
II. Discussion of the Proposed Regulatory
Requirements
A. Overview
B. Discussion of Specific Proposals
1. Replace sport pilot privileges with
aircraft category and class ratings on all
pilot certificates
2. Replace sport pilot flight instructor
privileges with aircraft category ratings
on all flight instructor certificates
3. Remove current provisions for the
conduct of proficiency checks by flight
instructors and include provisions for
the issuance of category and class ratings
by designated pilot examiners
4. Place all requirements for flight
instructors under a single subpart
(subpart H) of part 61
5. Require 1 hour of flight training on the
control and maneuvering of an airplane
solely by reference to instruments for
student pilots seeking a sport pilot
certificate to operate an airplane with a
maximum airspeed in level flight with
maximum continuous power (VH) greater
than 87 knots calibrated airspeed (CAS)
and sport pilots operating airplanes with
a VH greater than 87 knots CAS
6. Remove the requirement for persons
exercising sport pilot privileges and
flight instructors with a sport pilot rating
to carry their logbooks while in flight
7. Remove the requirement that persons
exercising sport pilot privileges have an
aircraft make-and-model endorsement to
operate a specific set of aircraft while
adding provisions for endorsements for
the operation of powered parachutes
with elliptical wings and aircraft with a
VH less than or equal to 87 knots CAS
8. Remove the requirement for all flight
instructors to log at least 5 hours of flight
time in a make and model of light-sport
aircraft before providing training in any
aircraft from the same set of aircraft in
which that training is given
9. Permit persons exercising sport pilot
privileges and the privileges of a student
pilot seeking a sport pilot certificate to
fly up to an altitude of not more than
10,000 feet mean sea level (MSL) or
2,000 feet above ground level (AGL),
whichever is higher
10. Permit private pilots to receive
compensation for production flight
testing of powered parachutes and
weight-shift-control aircraft intended for
certification in the light-sport category
under § 21.190
11. Revise student sport pilot solo crosscountry
navigation and communication
flight training requirements
12. Clarify cross-country distance
requirements for private pilots seeking to
operate weight-shift-control aircraft
13. Revise aeronautical experience
requirements at towered airports for
persons seeking to operate a powered
parachute or weight-shift-control aircraft
as a private pilot
14. Remove the requirement for pilots with
only a powered parachute or a weightshift-
control aircraft rating to take a
knowledge test for an additional rating at
the same certificate level
15. Revise the amount of hours of flight
training an applicant for a sport pilot
certificate must log within 60 days prior
to taking the practical test
16. Remove expired ultralight transition
provisions and limit the use of
aeronautical experience obtained in
ultralight vehicles
17. Add a requirement for student pilots to
obtain endorsements identical to those
proposed for sport pilots in §§ 61.324
and 61.327
18. Clarify that an authorized instructor
must be in a powered parachute when
providing flight instruction to a student
pilot
19. Remove the requirement for aircraft
certificated as experimental aircraft in
the light-sport category to comply with
the applicable maintenance and
preventive maintenance requirements of
part 43 when those aircraft have been
previously issued a special airworthiness
certificate in the light-sport category
20. Require aircraft owners or operators to
retain a record of the current status of
applicable safety directives for special
light-sport aircraft
21. Provide for the use of aircraft with a
special airworthiness certificate in the
light-sport category in training courses
approved under part 141
22. Revise the minimum safe-altitude
requirements for powered parachutes
and weight-shift-control aircraft
III. Paperwork Reduction Act
IV. International Compatibility
V. Regulatory Notices and Analyses
A. Economic Assessment
B. Regulatory Flexibility Determination
C. International Trade Impact Assessment
D. Unfunded Mandates Assessment
E. Executive Order 13132, Federalism
F. Environmental Analysis
G. Regulations That Significantly Affect
Energy Supply, Distribution, or Use
VI. Additional Information
Old April 17th 08, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

Larry Dighera wrote:
On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 10:19:07 -0500, Gig 601Xl Builder
wrote in
:

The purposed LSA rule changes have made it to the federal docket.
Here's a link.

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2008/pdf/08-1127.pdf

Thanks.

Without having done any analysis, I provide this excerpt of the NPRM:

Is that really needed, Larry? Do you think there are a lot of USENET
users who don't have access to the web and an acrobat reader?
Old April 18th 08, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Alan Gerber

Gig 601Xl Builder wrote:
Is that really needed, Larry? Do you think there are a lot of USENET
users who don't have access to the web and an acrobat reader?

Personally, I didn't mind, and I read what Larry posted. I'm using tin on
a shell host, and I'd have to copy the URL and paste it into a browser to
follow the link. (Yes, I know, it's very 1990s-technology.)

.... Alan
--
Alan Gerber
PP-ASEL
Old April 18th 08, 02:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

Alan Gerber wrote:
Gig 601Xl Builder wrote:
Is that really needed, Larry? Do you think there are a lot of USENET
users who don't have access to the web and an acrobat reader?

Personally, I didn't mind, and I read what Larry posted. I'm using tin on
a shell host, and I'd have to copy the URL and paste it into a browser to
follow the link. (Yes, I know, it's very 1990s-technology.)

... Alan

Well you ought to read the whole link if this is something that
interests you. It has a lot more information.

Age 60 Rule is now Age 65 Rule Kingfish Piloting 44 December 21st 07 11:31 AM
TSA rule, what does this mean? Robert M. Gary Piloting 27 April 21st 07 02:54 AM
New TSA Rule NW_PILOT Piloting 18 October 27th 04 12:35 AM
New TSA Rule G.R. Patterson III Piloting 0 October 23rd 04 04:12 PM
51% rule Robert Bates Home Built 12 August 1st 03 09:06 PM