accident in San Antonio, TX

Old June 27th 06, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default accident in San Antonio, TX

Here is what I heard. This was 3rd hand information when it came to me
(I will not say who I heard it from). For the record, I have flown
this particular glider many times.

The glider operation at San G purchased a Caproni Calif A-21 from a
pilot in California. Care was taken to instruct the new owners as to
how to fly the glider (it can be tricky on tow due to the side-by-side
seating). In California, the purchaser appears to have had difficulty
following the rope.

Notes AND videos were made as to how to assemble and disassemble the
Caproni. This also can be tricky due to the heavy 3-piece wing and the
wing connection pins which can easily bind and the wing tips must be
jiggled until the connecting pin quits turning (about 8 turns). I have
helped assemble a different Caproni but not this one.

Arrangements were made for another Caproni owner to be present for the
first assembly and first flight in San Antonio. He was busy the day
they wanted to fly or was not even contacted, I am unclear on that. It
appears that the glider was assembled without referring to the assembly
manual or video.

I have talked to many people who were present when the purchaser took
posession of the glider and the comments about his presence at the
California gliderport have not been complimentary--universally.

The speculation is, the new owner got "gottaflyitus" and could not wait
for experienced assistance to assemble the glider, assembled it wrong,
and blew $40,000+. Rumor has it that he subsequently lied to the FAA
and they pulled his license.

This is all rumor, I have absolutely nothing to back up any of --and,
of course, I have forgotten where I heard it.

Duster wrote:
wrote:
I just heard, through a friend, that there was a glider accident
reported in a San Antonio, TX paper. Maybe at the Boerne field?
Something about a wing coming off on tow. Anybody have any
information.

Tom Dixon
Idaho

There is a new glider operation on the west side of San Antonio, in
addition to the Boerne Stage operation. I beleive it is where the
accident Caproni was based. Here is the URL for the video clip of the
news report which indicates that the accident occured just before
takeoff (go to the archives and find the appropriately-titled video for
June 9th).

Michael

http://www2.mysanantonio.com/multime...m?videos=38522

Old June 28th 06, 08:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Having owned a Calif for 8 years with lots of assembly and disassembly, I
just can't imagine how somebody would get it wrong and not having the bolts
flush the surface. Parts are heavy, but apart from this it is one of the
most easiest to assemble gliders I've ever come across - notably due to the
fact that there is nothing to jiggle during assembly...

Plain Darwin, I'd say.

oups.com...

Old June 29th 06, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

What can I say? I was not present the day the new owner took
possession nor when he assembled it in San Anton. However, I have
flown this gider and know it to be a good, solid machine.

The only jiggle I remember from the other Caproni I have flown (I never
helped assemble the wrecked one) is if that pin binds before it is
fully seated. Admittedly, it has been more than 10 years since that
other glider (the one I helped assemble) has even seen the light of day
and thus more than 10 years since I helped assemble one.

At least no one was taken out of the gene pool, so no Darwin Award
here.