Theory Q: Cold Air, Lower Fuel Consumption?

Old February 4th 07, 03:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

Default Theory Q: Cold Air, Lower Fuel Consumption?

Here is a question to challenge your understanding of engine operation...

During Winter in the colder climes, do you use less fuel when you fly
because the air is more dense?
Old February 4th 07, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

more if you produce more power, the same at same power.

Old February 4th 07, 03:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
pgbnh

I would say more fuel for a given power output. Cold fuel in cold air does
not vaporize and burn as well. Therefore it takes more fuel to produce the
same power output. I suspect this effect is more than offset by the
aerodynamic improvements of wing and propellor in the thick air.

Old February 4th 07, 06:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan

All engines have an optimal operating temperature. If you are above or
below it, the efficiency is likely to be lower. It's probably not a
big effect.

Old February 4th 07, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Danny Deger

"john smith" wrote in message
Here is a question to challenge your understanding of engine operation...

During Winter in the colder climes, do you use less fuel when you fly
because the air is more dense?

The engine produces more power and uses more fuel.

Danny Deger

Old February 4th 07, 05:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stubby

john smith wrote:

During Winter in the colder climes, do you use less fuel when you fly
because the air is more dense?

First, lift is proportional to mass-air flow over a curved surface.
Cold air is denser so at a give speed, you'll get more lift from cold
air. Now, if you choose to, you can throttle back a bit to get better
fuel economy.

Then, the engine power is controlled by the fuel/air mixture. To burn
X fuel molecules you need Y air molecules. Cold air will supply the X
molecules of air easily.
--Bill
Old February 4th 07, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Stubby writes:

First, lift is proportional to mass-air flow over a curved surface.

A curved surface has nothing to do with lift.

Old February 4th 07, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Feb 4, 12:00 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
Stubby writes:
First, lift is proportional to mass-air flow over a curved surface.

A curved surface has nothing to do with lift.

Of course it does, the propeller produces more thrust when the air is
colder ( A propeller is a curved surface )

Now, back to the orginal question, if the engine is maintained at a
constant rpm at a some cold and hot temperatures, it will burn more
fuel at the colder temperature, but it will also produce more thrust.
So to get the same thrust, you would throttle back and almost the same
fuel burn with less rpm.

Old February 4th 07, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

On Feb 5, 7:00 am, Mxsmanic wrote:
Stubby writes:
First, lift is proportional to mass-air flow over a curved surface.

A curved surface has nothing to do with lift.

Riiiight.
NACA sections are just to make the wing look pretty

Minimum fuel Denny Piloting 31 July 7th 06 02:37 AM
Starting new C172s navghtivs Piloting 76 September 10th 05 09:33 PM
fuel consumption Jabiru 3300 John Home Built 10 August 10th 05 07:22 PM
Hot Starting Fuel Injected Engines Peter Duniho Piloting 23 October 18th 03 02:50 AM