Which aircraft will live in history forever?

Old November 27th 03, 09:46 PM
Dave Kearton

"Gord Beaman" wrote in message
"Dave Kearton"
wrote:

Jenny Simmonds

You never forget your first.

Dave Kearton

Jenny?...JENNY SIMMONDS?!?!...

....just wait till she gets home here tonight!!...

--

-Gord.

Gordon, if you were riding that trail, you'd be 90 now.

Not exactly the road less travelled, but you'd still be one lucky cowpoke.

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old November 27th 03, 11:50 PM
Scott Ferrin

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 21:13:34 -0000, "Keith Willshaw"
wrote:

"Scott Ferrin" wrote in message
.. .

And, perhaps, the most noteworthy aircrafts in history?

Spitfire (Battle of Britain)

I was going to have it on my list too but I couldn't remember if the
Battle of Britain fighter was the Spitfire or Tempest :-)

The most numerous fighter and the aircraft with the greatest
number of kills was the Hawker Hurricane.

Keith

Hurricane not Tempest was what I was thinking. I get the Spitfire,
Tempest, and Hurricane mixed up. I know what the Typhoon is, no mix
up there, but those others I always get screwed up.
Old November 27th 03, 11:53 PM
Scott Ferrin

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 21:08:44 GMT, Dan Shackelford
wrote:

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 18:51:43 +0000, Bjørnar Bolsøy wrote:

Scott Ferrin wrote in
:

Wright Flyer
B-29 (nuked Japan)
U-2 (Cold War Symbol)
Concord
SR-71
Harrier (First real VTOL)
B-52 (if it ever *becomes* "history") Me 262
X-1
X-15
KC-135

The Bell X-1, for breaking the notorious soundbarrier, thereby writing
itself into history as one of the greatest aviation moments of all times.

Except for the fact that the X-1 was NOT the first manned aircraft to
break the sound barrier, it was the F-86 that broke the sound barrier
first. One of the great myths in aviation lore is that the X-1 was first.

Regards...

Level? Because diving doesn't count. If it did they'd have just
strapped a guy into a big bomb and dropped it. When it broke mach
he'd pop the airbrakes and bail. They could have done THAT in WWII.
The level vs. diving is debatable I'm sure but it seems to me that was
the big deal.
Old November 28th 03, 12:16 AM
Dave Kearton

"Scott Ferrin" wrote in message

Level? Because diving doesn't count. If it did they'd have just
strapped a guy into a big bomb and dropped it. When it broke mach
he'd pop the airbrakes and bail. They could have done THAT in WWII.
The level vs. diving is debatable I'm sure but it seems to me that was
the big deal.

It was certainly a big deal at the time. The term sound BARRIER
implied that it could never be broken and shouldn't be attempted.
There was enough known about mach limitations and compressability for all
the 'experts' to fall into one of two camps (yes and no)

Plenty of pilots died unintentionally while diving past their mach
limitations to make George Welch's feat significant. The fact that a
plane had (allegedly) gone past mach 1 and survived in reasonable shape -
disproved the widespread belief that the speed of sound was the absolute
limit that could ever be reached.

Being able to do Mach 2 while sucking on a pink gin, complaining about the
rock stars behind you and reading the Times less than 30 years later would
earn a place for the Concorde as well.

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old November 28th 03, 12:37 AM
Dave Kearton

"ArtKramr" wrote in message

What??? No Spirit of St. Louis???

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

The difficulty I have with the Spirit of St Louis is that it's a US national
icon and that there's bound to be a fair amount of emotion tied up in
defending it.

Looking a little more dispassionately at the issue, I think Lindberg should
be remembered long after the plane fades into the dim dark past, as it was
really HIS achievement, the plane just had to be there.

By the time Lucky Lindy made the crossing, he was (what ?) the 39th pilot
to cross the pond - but the first to do it alone. Given what he went
through and the number of pilots who disappeared while trying to do the same
makes _Lindberg's_ achievement notable.

The plane that seems to have avoided the Usenet radar is the Vickers Vimy
that Alcock and Brown used to FIRST fly across the Atlantic.

While single crew crossings are fairly commonplace these days, they're
dwarfed in numbers by the multi crew crossings that occur in their hundreds
daily, unescorted and unrefuelled - as pioneered by Alcock and Brown in
June 1919.

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old November 28th 03, 01:23 AM

wrote:

Jenny Simmonds

You never forget your first.

Dave Kearton

Jenny?...JENNY SIMMONDS?!?!...

....just wait till she gets home here tonight!!...

--

-Gord.

Gordon, if you were riding that trail, you'd be 90 now.

Not exactly the road less travelled, but you'd still be one lucky cowpoke.

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Well when I asked her if she remembers Dave she blushed and her
eyes sparkled.
--

-Gord.
Old November 28th 03, 04:28 AM
Darrell A. Larose

Scott Ferrin ) writes:
And, perhaps, the most noteworthy aircrafts in history?

Spitfire (Battle of Britain)

I was going to have it on my list too but I couldn't remember if the
Battle of Britain fighter was the Spitfire or Tempest :-)

The Hurricane played a big role in the Battle of Britain, and got little
of the glory. The Tempest was a mud mover used in ground attack, it was
the A-10 of WWII. Came after the BoB in about 1944 TOS.