FLARM.....for good, or evil??

Old October 27th 10, 03:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mattm[_2_]

Default FLARM.....for good, or evil??

On Oct 26, 9:03*pm, John Cochrane
wrote:
Are the pilots "idiots" and "undisciplined" because of the FALRM? *Or
are they "idiots" and "undisciplined" in spite of the FLARM?

Cookie

My sense is that pilots at the worlds were flying the way they always
do. We were treated to daily briefings by Brian Spreckley with traces
and horror stories of near misses and collisions from all over Europe,
in contests with majority Flarm usage.

"Idiot" is perhaps a bit strong, and I may have been hasty in applying
it to a fellow pilot. On the other hand, he did pass 10-20 feet over
the top of my glider in a large gaggle. Perhaps he never saw me as
well. "Undisciplined" does stick. Really, when you know there are
20-30 gliders cruising together, one guy turning to the left and the
other of the pair turning to the right sets up 30 gliders turning in
both directions. Lots of people ignored all standard thermal
etiquette.
John Cochrane

Heck, I've seen stuff like that in US contests *without* FLARM!

-- Matt
Old October 28th 10, 02:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 18:03:50 -0700 (PDT), John Cochrane
wrote:

"Idiot" is perhaps a bit strong, and I may have been hasty in applying
it to a fellow pilot. On the other hand, he did pass 10-20 feet over
the top of my glider in a large gaggle.

One pilot who I know very well told me that during a WGC when he was
competing for the first place (he was in the lead), one very-well
known competitor flew maneuvres that this pilot could only classify as
attempts to produce near-misses. Within half an hour they had two
near-misses with less than fifteen feet, both provoked by the same
pilot.

Then the pilot in question lost his nerves and broke off the flight.
The attacking pilot won the WGC.

Andreas

Flarm in the US Steve Freeman Soaring 163 August 15th 10 12:12 AM
Reflections on good and evil [email protected] Piloting 6 April 18th 06 08:48 PM
FLARM Robert Hart Soaring 50 March 16th 06 11:20 PM
Good morning or good evening depending upon your location. I want to ask you the most important question of your life. Your joy or sorrow for all eternity depends upon your answer. The question is: Are you saved? It is not a question of how good Excelsior Home Built 0 April 22nd 05 01:11 AM
B29 - "Necessary Evil" Matt Tauber Military Aviation 30 August 28th 03 10:35 AM