cleaning engine

Old November 29th 03, 07:05 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Bill Denton wrote:

Here in the US, paint thinner is not a product, it's a type of product.

No, what is sold as "paint thinner" is a specific product also known as "mineral
spirits". It will NOT damage cured auto/aircraft paint. If you go to an auto
paint store, you can buy reducers used to thin specific paints, but those are
not commonly sold in a container labeled "paint thinner". If you go to just
about any other type of paint or hardware store and ask for paint thinner, they
will sell you mineral spirits.

Now, here is the obvious: here in the states we clean automobile engines
with a product called "Gunk Engine Cleaner" which comes in an aerosol can.

Many people use this. Pete Kupper, who ran the maintenance shop at Kupper
airport until a few years ago, bought mineral spirits in 55 gallon drums for
use cleaning engines and other parts.

George Patterson
Some people think they hear a call to the priesthood when what they really
hear is a tiny voice whispering "It's indoor work with no heavy lifting".
Old November 29th 03, 11:41 PM
Scet

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Bill Denton wrote:

[...]

George , kerosene in Australia is called kerosene.

We are talking aircraft here George, if we want paint thinner for our
aircraft why are we going into a hardware store? In the very least I thought
we would be going into an automotive paint supplier, and if you asked for
paint thinner there you would not be given mineral spirits.

Old November 29th 03, 08:16 PM
Morgans

"Bill Denton" wrote in message
Maybe I'm just getting confused by the global nature of the discussion,

but
I'm seeing a few things that are so obvious on their face that I felt I
should jump in...

Here in the US, paint thinner is not a product, it's a type of product.

It's
purpose is just as you would surmise from it's name: it is used to thin
paint to provide the proper viscosity for spraying or brushing. And it's
also used for cleaning brushes, spray nozzles, paint cups and similar

items
after use. It does a really dandy job of removing paint! And you use
different paint thinners for different paint types. So you can't really

make
too many generic comments about whether it will remove paint or it's
flammability.

Now, here is the obvious: here in the states we clean automobile engines
with a product called "Gunk Engine Cleaner" which comes in an aerosol can.
You spray it on, let it sit for a few minutes, then hose it off with a
moderate stream. I imagine this is the type of product your mechanic was
referring to. And if Gunk is not available worldwide, I'm sure your local
auto parts and supplies dealer carries something similar.

Sorry to but in, but when I saw a reference to paint thinner not removing
paint I just couldn't stay out of the chat...

You still need to get your facts straight. I challenge you to go into any
retail outlet, and find anything labeled paint thinner, that is not pure
mineral spirits. It won't happen.

MINERAL SPIRITS WILL NOT REMOVE CURED PAINT! It will remove WET (not
cured) enamels, oils, alkalydes, and a few other types.Do not confuse paint
thinner with paint stripper, or remover. They have things like toluene,
MEK, and various other nasties.

Since you are so sure about this, and had to jump into the chat, perhaps you
would like to share your credentials, so we will all know how you are
qualified to refute what is being shared.

I, by the way, have held a general contracting license, and paint much of
what I build. I also spray many types of finish on cabinet work, have
sprayed automobiles, with paint as nasty as to need constant forced fresh
air supply for the painter (me).

Your turn.

Tell us where you can get this paint thinner that removes paint, also.
--
Jim in NC

Old November 30th 03, 12:09 AM
Scet

"Morgans" wrote in message

[...]

Hi Jim, I think you were referring to Bill, but I'll jump in if I may.
I'm a panel beater and spray painter licensed with the Motor Vehicle Repair
Industry Council, here in Australia
and am also a member of the Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers -
Spray Painting Division, so I guess by saying that I'm saying I have a bit
of an idea about painting.

If I was getting some paint for, let's say an aircraft, I wouldn't go into
any retail outlet now would I? And walking into an automotive paint supplier
to get some paint for your aircraft, (they may or may not have zinc chromate
primer, depending on location) and asking for some thinner will not get you
mineral spirits.
Of course you would have to stipulate the type of thinner you wanted, be it
2Pak, acrylic lacquer etc but being an aircraft and wanting a nice gloss off
the gun I would be asking for 2Pak, which would be the nasty paint you were
referring to. It contains icocyanites (SP?) which are readily absorbed by
the skin.
The point I am trying to make here Jim is, when you are talking shop, people
generally think along the lines of the products that are used in that
industry and to me saying you were cleaning your aircraft engine down with
thinner is a bad thing and brings up thoughts of badly damaged paint, not to
mention any rubber or plastics that have been affected.

The fact that you have a general contracting contracting license says to me
that you expertise lies within an area that would use paints that require
mineral turps as a thinner and would therefore refer to mineral turps when
discussing thinners. On the same token Jim, I bet you know more about
mineral turps, it's uses and applications than what I would.

Scet

Old November 30th 03, 01:14 AM
Jim Weir

You folks do realize, don't you, that if you don't snip the preceding message
that we just bypass any of your pearls of wisdom.

Jim

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old November 29th 03, 11:42 PM
Scet

[...]

Bill, thanks for your input, I did say "will remove paint dependent on the
type of thinner used", but as we're talking aviation or automotive thinner,
as I thought due to the nature of our newsgroups interest, then I didn't
think we would be discussing any paint thinners that would be used in
household paint.
We also use paint thinner for thinning paint and cleaning brushes etc.

Scet wrote:

I don't think paint thinner is appropriate to use. It is highly

flammable
and will damage paint, obviously dependent on the type of thinner

used.

Paint thinner in the U.S. is also called "mineral spirits". It's no more
flamable than kerosene (which you call "white spirit"), is less oily,

and
will
definitely NOT harm any paint that's likely to be on an aircraft.

Old November 30th 03, 05:29 AM
Dave Stadt

"Bill Denton" wrote in message
Maybe I'm just getting confused by the global nature of the discussion,

but
I'm seeing a few things that are so obvious on their face that I felt I
should jump in...

Here in the US, paint thinner is not a product, it's a type of product.

Bunk! I defy you to purchase paint thinner that does not say it is mineral
spirits in small print. The other produces are not paint thinner. They are
reducers or other type thinners such as lacquer thinner.

Old November 29th 03, 11:56 PM
Bill Denton

Sorry if I put some folks off here; I was only trying to offer suggestions.

My thought was that someone who was not familiary with commercial engine
cleaning products might not be aware of the varying properties of what is
generically known as "paint thinner".

Over the years I have used the thinner for oil-based house paints, which I
believe was mineral spirits. I have also used enamel thinner and lacquer
thinner. And I have heard all of these referred to as "paint thinner" or
just plain "thinner".

And please remember that anyone who considers my advice to be worthless is
free to avoid using it.

Old November 29th 03, 05:55 PM
Dave Stadt

"Scet" wrote in message

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
om...
Looks like I've got an oil leak in my 550 hr SFNEW IO-360-A3B6
Lycoming engine. My mechanic says I should clean the engine and see
where its coming from. I feel strange cleaning the engine. He said to
use an automotive engine cleaner and then wash it off right away. I
guess its not different than flying through a level 5 rain shower but
I can't see spraying my mags down with a hose. How do most of you do
it?

I don't think paint thinner is appropriate to use. It is highly flammable
and will damage paint, obviously dependent on the type of thinner used.

Paint thinner is mineral spirits and is nearly if not the same as Stoddard
solvent. It WILL NOT damage paint. Flammability is not an issue unless you
spray it into an open flame. It is a very good low cost solvent available
almost anywhere.

Dry cleaning solvent or white spirit is an approved Mil spec cleaner and
won't damage paint, and it's relatively cheap. Put it in an atomiser

bottle
on jet setting and have an old paint brush ready for stubborn areas, then
hose off.

Scet.

Old November 29th 03, 11:42 PM
Scet

"Scet" wrote in message

[...]

Sorry guys, in Australia paint thinner WILL remove paint and this paint
thinner is funnily enough used to THIN paint which in turn REDUCES the
viscosity.
If you get some acylic lacquer thinner and tip it on your CURED paint it
WILL remove it.
So what I can gather is that your paint thinner is mineral spirits or what
we call mineral turps.
We use this for house and general painting jobs.

In general discussion, when we talk about thinners, then the thinners used
in that particular industry is the one being discussed.

So it seems there are differences in terminology, between the US and
Australia (funny that) that can lead to some confusion.