We Are All Spaniards

Old March 27th 04, 02:29 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Dan Luke" wrote in message
"Jay Honeck" wrote:
I just don't see a viable alternative to Don's scenario, Dan.

So because we don't perceive a simple answer, we should pursue a policy
that history has already proven to be a failure? Have we forgotten the
Soviet experience in Afghanistan? Don's simplistic scenario belongs in
a Tom Clancy novel; it's fantasy.

How much have our proposed solutions in many areas been conditioned by
Hollyweird?

Old March 27th 04, 10:47 PM
Jay Honeck

So because we don't perceive a simple answer, we should pursue a policy
that history has already proven to be a failure? Have we forgotten the
Soviet experience in Afghanistan? Don's simplistic scenario belongs in
a Tom Clancy novel; it's fantasy.

In Afghanistan the Soviets couldn't accomplish in a decade what we
accomplished in a few months, so this may not be the best comparison.

Occupying a country and setting up a friendly (or "puppet") government is
not something to be taken lightly, nor should "success" necessarily be
measured by simply measuring the longevity of that particular government.
Often "success" is something far less measurable, and may not be discernible
for decades.

For example, Viet Nam, broadly seen as a failure of foreign policy in its
time, is more and more seen as a long, painful -- but necessary -- chapter
in the eventual defeat of Communism. And, with even longer perspective,
Viet Nam can be viewed as simply a continuation of the Korean Conflict --
another proxy war between America, the Soviet Union, and China.

Heck, I imagine in 200 years Korea and Viet Nam will be simply noted as
being "after-shocks" of World War II -- which itself is now being seen as a
HUGE "after-shock" of World War I.

Even our "failed" puppet governments in South America during the 70s and 80s
are now being viewed as battle-fronts of the Cold War. Installing a corrupt
leader in Guatemala may have appeared awful at the time, but in the titanic
struggle against the Soviet Union, even these "defeats" may have contributed
decisively to our ultimate victory.

History is fluid, and we are only in the earliest stages of what will be a
very long and nasty war. Don't be too hasty to declare our defeat.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 27th 04, 02:25 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
The idea that we can barge around the world installing puppet
governments by force and thereby create a secure situation for ourselves
is lunacy.

Well, we've seen what happens when the Islamo-fascists are allowed to set

up
a government without any outside interference. Can you say "Taliban?"

Their radical religious beliefs dictate a society that is diametrically
opposed to freedom and democracy. Worse, they feel it is their duty to
assimilate -- or destroy -- non-believers.

Can you say "The Borg?"

Can you say "suicidal"?

Old March 27th 04, 11:04 PM
Dylan Smith

In article yCf9c.106480$_w.1340711@attbi_s53, Jay Honeck wrote:
opposed to freedom and democracy. Worse, they feel it is their duty to
assimilate -- or destroy -- non-believers.

I think that's generally been true of most religions, at least at one
time or other. Religious fanaticisim of nearly any kind is usually not a
good thing.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old March 27th 04, 11:13 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Dylan Smith" wrote in message
In article yCf9c.106480$_w.1340711@attbi_s53, Jay Honeck wrote:
opposed to freedom and democracy. Worse, they feel it is their duty to
assimilate -- or destroy -- non-believers.

I think that's generally been true of most religions, at least at one
time or other. Religious fanaticisim of nearly any kind is usually not a
good thing.

Except in the Hadith and Qur’an, it's EXPLICIT!

Old March 27th 04, 02:16 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Dan Luke" wrote in message
"Wdtabor" wrote:
we'll ...install a government there
that will keep its fanatics in line.

Had that already in Iran. Remember how well that worked?

The idea that we can barge around the world installing puppet
governments by force and thereby create a secure situation for ourselves
is lunacy.

Yeah!! Look at how our puppet governments in S. Korea, Japan and Germany
turned on us.

Old March 27th 04, 02:54 PM
Dan Luke

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote:
Yeah!! Look at how our puppet governments in S. Korea, Japan
and Germany turned on us.

We installed a puppet gov't in S. Korea?

I pointed out to Jay some reasons why the situations in Japan and
Germany are not analogous to our situation WRT Iraq. In neither case
was there any organized, armed internal opposition.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old March 27th 04, 04:49 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote:
Yeah!! Look at how our puppet governments in S. Korea, Japan
and Germany turned on us.

We installed a puppet gov't in S. Korea?

Are we installing a puppet government in Iraq? What's your definition of a
"puppet government"?

I pointed out to Jay some reasons why the situations in Japan and
Germany are not analogous to our situation WRT Iraq. In neither case
was there any organized, armed internal opposition.

Did we install puppets in Germany? Sure we did. As for armed opposition, not
in Japan, who accepted the decree of the Emperor, but in Germany there was.
In Iraq, the Iraqi's will have take on the opposition.