A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Amazing Milestone

Old July 17th 16, 12:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Amazing Milestone

Back in 1955 Walt Cannon learned to fly gliders at the Schweizer Soaring School in Elmira. As was common then, he soloed in a 2-22. After a time, Bernie Carris decided he was ready for a single seat glider and put him in the then new 1-26.
He was the first "kid" to fly a 1-26. Recently I found out that the glider he flew is our 1-26, serial number 2, N91894. It now serves as the juniors glider at our club and flies all the time.
Fast forward to last Wednesday when Walt again flew the same glider 61 years later while participating in the IVSM.
The smile on his face was priceless.
I've asked around among many who may know and nobody recalls someone flying the same glider over this span of years.
It says a lot for the longevity of both the glider and this extraordinary pilot.
Well done Walt!
UH
Old July 17th 16, 01:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Great stuff, UH! Back in 1981, I ventured out West for the first time with my mother, brother, and sister to fly the 15M Nationals at Minden, NV, where Walt Cannon flew to 4th place. It was an epic journey for us involving thrills and excitement in the air and on the ground.

Last month--almost exactly 35 years later--my brother and I retraced most of our steps across the country so I could fly in the Std. Class Nationals in Nephi, UT...where Walt Cannon gridded next to us each day.

I didn't start soaring until 10 years after Walt (following the same 2-22 to 1-26 path), so to see him still going strong now is an inspiration! Indeed, well done!

I should add that Walt's contest number, NT, is one of only three (together with mine, JB, and Ken Sorenson's KM) that I noticed as repeats in Nephi from that bygone era in a cursory perusal of the scores in the Soaring magazine archive, although there are many more pilots still flying and competing..

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
Old July 17th 16, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

40 some years ago, I used to own 1-26 serial number one. I believe it is now hanging from the ceiling of an Elmira Mall, next to the Schweizer factory.

Tom Knauff

Old July 17th 16, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

You are correct, it's been hanging there for (Arnot mall in the valley below HHSC and next to Chemung county airport) 20+ years, likely never to be flown again.
As co-owner of 002 for many years (along with Hank), it's a glider a few years older than I.
I believe it has a WORKING pellet vario in it, lots of fun to fly on weak days (low wing loading with me in it) good sealing allowed an airspeed only a bit above a hawk in a thermal.

Wish I could have been there for the IVSM...........
Old July 17th 16, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

The pellet vario in 002 worked fine for me. Big thanks to Hank for letting me fly it at IVSM.