"Bad" CAI302 Display

Old September 18th 13, 04:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default "Bad" CAI302 Display

Dan:

There's a much easier way that drilling new holes. Fly the glider while lying on the wing. This turns your head sideways. Hard to reach the pedals, of course, but no new holes in the panel. Fred
Old September 18th 13, 05:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Mueller

Dan, you can rotate your glasses 90 degrees, if the display
becomes visable, it is the glass not the LCD on the 302.

Old September 18th 13, 01:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Purdie[_3_]

The material in polarised sunglasses is oriented to minimise specular
reflection from water/snow surfaces. As a bonus for soaring pilots this
enhances cloud definition. Rotating sunglasses material reduces the useful
effect appreciably, so negates the benefit of polarising sunglasses.

Early production CAI302s had an LCD with the 'wrong' orientation for
polarising sunglasses, and nobody is likely to have a new batch
manufactured now.

The only practical answer is to use non-polarising sunglasses; brown tint
is good for cloud definition. A reddish tint is even better, but at the
expense of false colour which can cause problems when identifying crop
types for the field selected, and in reading paper charts.

Old September 18th 13, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

It's 45 degrees, not 90. Very strange.

And still no definite answer about whether it's the LCD waver or the front
glass that's the problem. I wear my old standby smoke colored sunglasses in
the glider and the Eagle Eyes in the car. I'd much prefer the reverse.

I sent Gary an email but no reply just yet...

Old September 18th 13, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I'll look again, but I believe the instrument face (that protrudes through
the panel) is round. At least, the hole is...

"Steve Leonard" wrote in message
Are you sure height and width of the display are the same? If not, no
dice for taking it apart and rotating the glass.

Old September 18th 13, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

The glasses are not round.

"StaPo" wrote in message
hmmm,
and what about to ask your neighbour optician
to rotate the lenses in your glasses
instead of rotating the 302?
Supposing it should be cheaper...

Old September 18th 13, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Excellent! I'd just need to install hand-operated rudder controls and some
velcro to hold me in place when I fly fast.

Old September 18th 13, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Default CAI302 Display

Peter Purdie wrote, On 9/18/2013 5:51 AM:
The only practical answer is to use non-polarising sunglasses; brown tint
is good for cloud definition. A reddish tint is even better, but at the
expense of false colour which can cause problems when identifying crop
types for the field selected, and in reading paper charts.

At 04:14 18 September 2013, Doug Mueller wrote:
Dan, you can rotate your glasses 90 degrees, if the display
becomes visable, it is the glass not the LCD on the 302.

I found it practical to punch holes in my polarized clip-ons. That
eliminated the polarization over the area of the panel, and also the
tinting: no LCD problems, no paper chart problems (not that I look at a
chart very often). It does not solve the tinting problem for crops,
because I'm using bifocal glasses, and the holes are over the bifocal part.

I'd probably use non-polarized clip-ons if I could find them. If you
don't need distant vision correction, there are polarized "sunreaders"
available that have non-polarized, non (or lightly)-tinted inserts with
correction for reading.

http://www.amazon.com/Polarized-Bifo...reader+glasses

These look like the inserts are tinted, unlike the ones I have. Since
the inserts aren't polarized, looking at LCDs isn't a problem.

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl

Old September 18th 13, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Wednesday, September 18, 2013 9:17:15 AM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
I'll look again, but I believe the instrument face (that protrudes through the panel) is round. At least, the hole is...

My bad, Dan. My first read thought you were talking about the nav display, not the vario display.