Viable alternatives for serious aviation discussion

Old August 19th 08, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike[_22_]

Default Viable alternatives for serious aviation discussion

"KKK wannabe" wrote in message
Mike wrote:
"tater" wrote in message
m...

"buttman" wrote in message

snip
The sites he posted are moderated and the slime balls that post the crap
here would be booted out of those sites.

Perhaps, but so would slime balls that advertised other forums on those
"sites" ad nauseum.

Moderated??

Or thought control from Marxist anti-liberty slime balls?

FREEDOM
LIBERTY
The TRUTH will NEVER be stopped
NEVER

Ah, come now, Grand Wizard. None of the BS you spew has anything to do with
any of the above.

Old August 19th 08, 07:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Dudley Henriques writes:

I can readily understand why you would avoid moderated forums.

I have a very strong belief in freedom of speech, and you cannot get that on a
moderated forum. Freedom of speech is among the most important freedoms you
can have. Be careful what you wish for.
Old August 19th 08, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Rocky Stevens wrote:
On Aug 19, 1:23 pm, "5 by 5" luv2^fly99@cox.^net wrote:
He has tried to dilute the group before, touting the wondrous groups
elsewhere, but always seems to return.

Can't speak for DH, but my purpose in plugging the AOPA forum has
nothing to do with a desire to "dilute the group". Granted, it may
have that effect, but that is not the motivation. My motivation is to
help people that are like me (i.e. looking for real discussion) find
what they need. I'll still check this NG, but I want others
(especially fellow students) to know what else is out there.

This is exactly my motivation as well. I have no desire to see RAP
ruined. The other regulars who have posted dissatisfaction with what's
going on here don't wish to see the forum ruined either. I WOULD like to
see it return to the way it used to be however, and since that might not
be happening all that quickly based on the current crop of posters we
have on the forum, and since most of us here come here for the express
purpose of discussing aviation related matters, I feel the suggestion
for alternative forums that are free of what's going on here is not only
justified but prudent.
Those of us who have "left" this newsgroup haven't actually left at all.
All of us check back in quite often to see how things are going. Some of
us, like myself, will either pass if it looks REAL bad, or in my case
anyway, if I see some moron taking my name in vain, I'll post a GFU post
in disgust.
I believe that IF the time comes when what's going on here stops going
on here, those of us who have "left" will certainly return.
I would imagine that this time will come when we open this forum and see
one subject header after another from those who are NOT discussing
aviation in a long list of unanswered subject headers.
But......as of now, it's anyone's guess as to when this will happen.
No sweat for me anyway.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old August 19th 08, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Mxsmanic wrote:
Dudley Henriques writes:

I can readily understand why you would avoid moderated forums.

I have a very strong belief in freedom of speech, and you cannot get
that on a moderated forum. Freedom of speech is among the most
important freedoms you can have. Be careful what you wish for.

The right to "freedom of speech" does not apply to the use of the resources
of private entities that belong to others. You are already subject to
censure on this newsgroup because you are posting through Giganews, a
private entity. In fact according to Giganews' Acceptable Use Policy at
http://www.giganews.com/legal/aup.html the following rules apply:

"Blatant disregard of the intended subject matter in a newsgroup will be
treated as abusive posting. Posting off topic material in large volume or
with apparent malicious intent will lead to immediate account termination.
Trolling is the practice of maliciously trying to incite others that use a
newsgroup, to deviate from the stated topic of the group. In other words,
trolling is an attempt to anger others to the point of drawing them into an
argument or an off topic debate. Giganews does not tolerate trolling and
will terminate service of those who abuse the service in this manner."

These criteria for acceptable use and the mechanism of enforcement appear
to be no different than that found on the web sites that Dudley has listed.
So it isn't clear to me why you think those web sites are somehow more
oppressive than the NSP you are using now.
Old August 19th 08, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Mxsmanic wrote:
Dudley Henriques writes:

I can readily understand why you would avoid moderated forums.

I have a very strong belief in freedom of speech, and you cannot get that on a
moderated forum. Freedom of speech is among the most important freedoms you
can have. Be careful what you wish for.

This is both true in some cases and an unnecessary premise in others.
A moderated forum is no better or worse than a Usenet forum. In either
case, you are free to speak your mind. On Usenet, you get flamed if
you're out of line. On a moderated forum, you can stay or leave if you
don't like the level of moderation.
The web based forums I frequent are moderated ONLY for abusive and/or
off topic posting. As long as your post is non-abusive and on topic, you
are in effect unmoderated.

One can always spout off the mantra about free speech. If the freedom to
be subjected to abusive posting and off topic posting is your thing,
then by all means, there's Usenet. It's the perfect forum for you.
If on the other hand you are non abusive and on topic, a GOOD moderated
forum is worth your time to try out for size.
Notice I said a GOOD moderated forum. There are of course BAD moderated
forums. It's up to YOU to decide if a specific forum meets your personal
criteria for moderation. No one makes you come to a moderated forum, and
you are always free to leave if the moderation doesn't suit your taste.
Some people will NEVER be happy being moderated. To them it's control of
free speech.
To these people I say this; even in a country that guarantees free
speech, you can not cry "FIRE" in a crowded theater. You CAN do that on
Usenet.
Life is full of choices. You go with what works for you. It's that simple.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old August 19th 08, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Rocky Stevens wrote:
On Aug 19, 12:23 pm, Dudley Henriques wrote:
Rocky Stevens wrote:
On Aug 19, 7:13 am, Dudley Henriques wrote:
Once again I will post below for anyone interested in serious aviation
related discussion the following alternative web based newsgroups. I
will repost this notice periodically.
Many of the pilots who used to post here are now posting at the
following forums. It's a slightly different format from Usenet but in
lieu of what's happening on RAP, you just might want to take a look at
these alternatives.
Reading the answers that follow this post might help to serve as an
added incentive for you to give these groups a try. :-))
--
Dudley Henriqueshttp://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/index.phphttp://www.purpleboard....
Also, Jim Logajan is experimenting with setting up a Google Group.

The AOPA groups are a fine alternative as you say. The only reason I
ommitted them is because I believe they require membership in AOPA to
access them. To do that I'd actually be spamming the group. The forums
I'm recommending are free access.
I agree with you that if anyone is willing to join or is already a
member of AOPA, their forums would indeed be an alternative to Usenet.
Not sure about the membership requirement however. Will check on this.

--
Dudley Henriques

Yes. membership is required, though it is pretty cheap - $39 a year,
and a pretty good deal at that. FWIW, I usually define spamming as
cross-posting non-relevant, commercial stuff to a massive number of
groups. In any event, if plugging AOPA makes me a spammer, I am fine
with that.

I do sort of wish there was just one board, instead of the big three,
as I do not feel like checking three boards a day. But then again,
choice is a great thing (assuming there is any significant difference
between the three).

I agree with your definition of spamming. I look at it this way too. For
me anyway, to spam someone, there has to be a commercial reward
involved. Simply suggesting an alternative forum is nothing more than a
suggestion. I'm fine with it.

Tell you what I do for forums that might help cut down your surfing time
per day.

If I'm registered on a web based forum, I login and give my password and
select "enter me each time I'm here". I then go into the preferences and
select instant email notification for threads I'm involved with. Then I
go to the main selection page and copy and paste the main forum page URL
on my desktop.
I have a list of various forums in a line on the desktop now.

I can either wait for the notification which is an instant link click to
the post, or I can click the shortcut and go directly to a forum page
where I can surf the headers for something of interest.

Takes little time and works quite well for me.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old August 19th 08, 08:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

buttman wrote in
:

On Aug 19, 5:13*am, Dudley Henriques wrote:
Once again I will post below for anyone interested in serious
aviation related discussion the following alternative web based
newsgroups. I will repost this notice periodically.
Many of the pilots who used to post here are now posting at the
following forums. It's a slightly different format from Usenet but in
lieu of what's happening on RAP, you just might want to take a look
at these alternatives.

Reading the answers that follow this post might help to serve as an
added incentive for you to give these groups a try. :-))

--
Dudley
Henriqueshttp://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/index.phphttp://www.

purpleboard.net/~purplebo/forums/index.php

Also, Jim Logajan is experimenting with setting up a Google Group.

OK we get it you don't like Usenet anymore. Please don't spam the
group about it.

Like you'd even know what spam is, you fjukktard

Bertie
Old August 19th 08, 08:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"5 by 5" luv2^fly99@cox.^net wrote in
news

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
Once again I will post below for anyone interested in serious
aviation related discussion the following alternative web based
newsgroups. I will repost this notice periodically.
Many of the pilots who used to post here are now posting at the
following forums. It's a slightly different format from Usenet but in
lieu of what's happening on RAP, you just might want to take a look
at these alternatives.

Reading the answers that follow this post might help to serve as an
added incentive for you to give these groups a try. :-))

--
Dudley Henriques
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/index.php
http://www.purpleboard.net/~purplebo/forums/index.php

Also, Jim Logajan is experimenting with setting up a Google Group.

If they're so great, what are you doing here?

Don't let the mouse pad hit ya in the ass.

Hmmmm.

Wonder who this is?

Bertie
Old August 19th 08, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"tater" wrote in
m:

"buttman" wrote in message
.
..

Please don't spam the
group about it.

It's been a long time since I've posted anything, even though I read
regularly and
try to sort out what good posts remain.

I don't think he's spamming the group .. I think he's providing a
valuable alternative to
those who might wish to have a place to go to so that they can
participate in
respectful aviation discussion. This place used to be top notch ..
but it's been taken
over by a few that for whatever reason have been working on destroying
it. And it's
working. The sites he posted are moderated and the slime balls that
post the crap
here would be booted out of those sites.

If you mean me, guess again.

Bertie
Old August 19th 08, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
5 by 5

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message

Please continue posting these comments from me. It saves me from doing it
myself.
Thanks

--
Dudley Henriques

What ever it takes to highlight the self centered spammer you really are.