moving to spokane

Old May 27th 05, 02:39 AM
Antoņio

Jay Honeck wrote:

(At least in Chicago we could blame the toll booths!)

I've seen backups here that could easilly reach to Chicago...Maybe we
should blame the Chicago toll booths for our traffic!

Antonio

Old May 27th 05, 02:41 AM
Montblack

wrote)
http://www.bobrivers.com/audiovault/...p?Var=S&Page=2

Scroll down the the song for Spokane and enjoy!

http://www.bobrivers.com/audiovault/...unes.asp?Var=D
"Dan Quayle didn't go to Vietnam-ee..." :-)

I'm a sucker for these dumb but funny sites.

Montblack g
Old May 27th 05, 03:16 AM

First of all, to answer your question....Felts is a nice little field,
but my experience as a transient was that GEG (the big field) is a
better place to land (certainly easier as a point of entry from
Canada). If you are moving there and looking for a home field, this
may not matter much. Don't know anything about the other two, but I'd
definitely consider Felts as a good candidate for a GA base based on
its location.

The weather is very different in Spokane than Seattle because of the
mountains and wide plain between them. Washington is not Iowa...there
is a HUGE difference between the east and west sides, geographically
and meteorologically. This is what makes flying in the West so
interesting.
Spokane is a very, very nice city. It has first class medical
facilities, etc. Frankly, one would be hard-pressed to find a nicer
place to live, unless you want a large city...in which case Seattle
would be hard to beat for reasons too numerous to mention in this
thread. Politically I'd prefer Seattle in a heartbeat, but that also
is a different issue, and apparantly not one that is open to choice
here.

Old May 27th 05, 03:23 AM
Morgans

"Montblack" wrote

I'm a sucker for these dumb but funny sites.

Could it be that you are........dumb but funny? g

Sorry, but it was *way* too easy! :-)
--
Jim in NC
Old May 27th 05, 03:40 AM
Jay Honeck

Again, how astute of you to come up with that *oh* so accurate comparison in
the four days you were here. It's amazing how little time a person needs to
figure out all they need to know about a place.

Suffice to say, Seattle and Chicago have very little in common.

Well, I've driven in both now (Chicago extensively, over several
decades), and they both look, smell, and quack like a duck.

And they both suck.

The only real exception to that comparision is the "carpool lane" that
Seattle has built, which was really nice since I was routinely driving
a mini-van stocked with four people on-board.

Sadly, it appeared to be severely under-utilized -- and that extra lane
sure would sure have helped get those other poor schmucks in the right
lanes moving. At more than three million bucks per mile, it's hard to
imagine a more expensive white elephant.

(I'll bet there's quite a market for mannequins in Seattle, eh? :-)

You're funny. Yes, drivers here have no clue. They have no clue where you
are too. You just don't have as many people crammed into as little space as
we do.

Sadly, Seattle looks just like every other really nice area -- 20 years
after everyone has discovered it. We found some really seedy areas,
suffered through way too much traffic, and witnessed endless strip
malls blighting the landscape -- which more than offset the pretty
trees and distant mountains.

I'm sure it was once gorgeous. (But, then, so was Chicago, once upon a
time...)

And, hey -- what's up with your new monorail system? The press
coverage of THAT "little" boondoggle while we were there was pretty
severe, and quite entertaining. Do you REALLY pay a couple of hundred
bucks more in ANNUAL taxes if you own a car in Seattle -- just to pay
for a TRAIN?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 27th 05, 04:04 AM
Jose

The only real exception to that comparision is the "carpool lane"...
Sadly, it appeared to be severely under-utilized -- and that extra lane
sure would sure have helped get those other poor schmucks in the right
lanes moving.

IF it were not severely underused, it would be just as clogged as the
lane the other schmucks were using. For a freeway to work properly, it
must be mostly empty, a fact most people don't realize.

Jose
--
The price of freedom is... well... freedom.
Old May 27th 05, 04:57 AM
Jay Honeck

Clear and 88 in Seattle today, Jay, with the same expected tomorrow. No
rain and a little cooler (81) yesterday.

Glad to hear it.

It's been clear and in the mid-70s all week. Got in a nice little dinner
flight tonight with the kids, before their baseball games...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 27th 05, 05:02 AM
Jay Honeck

IF it were not severely underused, it would be just as clogged as the lane
the other schmucks were using. For a freeway to work properly, it must be
mostly empty, a fact most people don't realize.

There must be enough open space to allow proper merging, and an educated
fleet of drivers who know how to use it properly.

In my experience, it's the latter that's normally the "missing link"...
And all it takes is a relative hand-full of ignoramuses to foul up the whole
system.

But, back to Seattle. I think it's safe to say that building 1/4th of your
freeway system to only serve (perhaps?) 1/10th of your users is not the way
to speed things along. The vast majority of the drivers in Seattle were
"flying solo" -- and will continue to do so, no matter how fervently they
try to force car-pooling or mass-transit on them.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 27th 05, 06:59 AM
Peter Duniho

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Clear and 88 in Seattle today, Jay, with the same expected tomorrow. No
rain and a little cooler (81) yesterday.

Glad to hear it.

I'm not. 88 for folks who live here is like 110 for folks who live in
Phoenix (for example). That is, it's not unheard of and it does happen now
and then, but it's enough out of our acclimated temperature range to be VERY
uncomfortable.

I'm looking forward to the weekend, when they are saying we'll get some
clouds and cooling (little or no rain though).

Pete

Garmin/AT no longer supporting WSI weather on MX20 moving map Peter R. Owning 10 April 19th 05 03:08 PM
Navzilla Moving Map Software for iPAQs and Laptops Navzilla Team Piloting 1 May 22nd 04 10:10 PM
Navzilla Moving Map Software for iPAQs and Laptops Navzilla Team Aviation Marketplace 0 May 20th 04 03:01 AM
Moving Map on IPAQ Bob Simulators 0 March 25th 04 09:30 PM
Engine moving day... Gene Z. Ragan Home Built 2 March 16th 04 01:26 AM