The A-65 Overhaul/Buy question

Old October 14th 05, 12:44 PM

Default The A-65 Overhaul/Buy question

Here and elsewhere I've been exploring the possibility of buying an
a/c with an A-65 engine which has exceed TBO. We've learned the TBO
figure isn't gospel, but it probably isn't a bad idea to be
thinking about an overhaul. For the purpose of this discussion, let's
assume something has occurred and it's time to open the case. Since
the engine is old, and you've invested in opening the case, you have
to think overhaul.

A look thru the trades show mid-time engines can be purchased for
around $4,000 and recently O/H engines for $7,000.

It is possible after the engine is opened and inspected one will be
faced with repair costs that exceed the cost of purchasing a recently
O/H engine.

My questions a
- How much do I have to invest to be able to make the overhaul or buy
decision? (My experience is (in the DC area) opening a case,
inspecting, closing it up will cost $3,000).
- How can I cut the investment?
- What decisions have to be "outsourced" to an engine shop, i.e.
the decision is outside the ability or willingness of a small shop to
make the decision and provide an estimate?

- Mike

Old October 14th 05, 10:14 PM
Paul kgyy

It depends a lot on the "something has occurred". Low compression on 1
cylinder might just entail removing that cylinder and fixing whatever
is wrong with it. This way you get to replace the engine 1 part at a
time. I think this is probably the cheapest way to go, but then you
always have the risk that a 30-yr-old connecting rod is about to let
go.

On the other hand, the experience with total overhauls hasn't been all
that great.

You are the decider, not the engine shop, though it's worth asking
their opinion.

Old October 15th 05, 11:13 AM
Michael Horowitz

Yeah, "something has occurreed" was too vague; I was thinking "making
metal", but didn't want to be specific. OK. Making metal it is. - Mike

Old October 18th 05, 05:54 AM
Bret Ludwig

Personally I would be looking at 75s and 85s as it was easy enough to
upgrade. That said how much are you planning to fly this airplane? A
midtime engine can be a real bargain. However, if you get unlucky....

Running any known aircraft engine much over TBO is a fool's errand.

On a certificated aircraft you can rebuild the engine yourself if you
can find an IA to inspect and sign off the work. This may or may not
save money if you are so inclined. Oopses can get really expensive.

Old October 18th 05, 08:10 AM
RST Engineering

It does not require an IA; a P license will do nicely.

Jim

oups.com...

Old October 20th 05, 01:10 PM
Deborah McFarland

Personally I would be looking at 75s and 85s as it was easy enough to
upgrade.

Not necessarily. If you wish to upgrade a Luscombe 8A (65 hp) to a higher
engine, you must remove the fuselage tank and install wing tanks. Doable
with some cash and time with metal wings however, you must manufacture the
tanks yourself if you have fabric ones.

Don Swords of Don's Dream Machines (770-412-8885) is about as good as you
can get for overhauling A-65s, C-85s, C-90s and O-200s. He's not cheap, but
if you call him he will talk to you all day about any questions you have.

Good luck.

Deb

1946 Luscombe 8A (his)
1948 Luscombe 8E (hers)
1954 Cessna 195B, restoring (ours)

I want to ask you the most important question of your life. Douglas Olson Owning 1 May 22nd 05 05:15 AM
182RG question Paul Anton Owning 11 May 16th 05 09:45 PM
Good morning or good evening depending upon your location. I want to ask you the most important question of your life. Your joy or sorrow for all eternity depends upon your answer. The question is: Are you saved? It is not a question of how good Excelsior Home Built 0 April 22nd 05 01:11 AM