Should a W&B list gross weight?

Old October 16th 05, 12:51 AM
Andrew Gideon

Default Should a W&B list gross weight?

Some work was done on an airplane. The new W&B is of the "removed/added"
sort and computes a new empty weight and moment arm. But the document
doesn't state the gross weight.

The changes were all avionics; no airframe or power plant work was done. So
I'd expect the gross weight to remain unchanged from the prior W&B.

But does the new W&B need to state the gross weight, even if it is
unchanged? If not, do we then need both documents to cover the legalities
of documentation in the airplane?

Or did the person that wrote the new W&B err?

- Andrew

Old October 16th 05, 01:12 AM
Seth Masia

You need to list the new empty weight; gross weight shouldn't change without
an STC.

Seth

online.com...

Old October 16th 05, 02:34 AM
Newps

Andrew Gideon wrote:
Some work was done on an airplane. The new W&B is of the "removed/added"
sort and computes a new empty weight and moment arm. But the document
doesn't state the gross weight.

The changes were all avionics; no airframe or power plant work was done. So
I'd expect the gross weight to remain unchanged from the prior W&B.

But does the new W&B need to state the gross weight, even if it is
unchanged? If not, do we then need both documents to cover the legalities
of documentation in the airplane?

I have never seen a W+B that didn't list the gross weight.
Old October 16th 05, 03:54 PM
Ron Natalie

Andrew Gideon wrote:
Some work was done on an airplane. The new W&B is of the "removed/added"
sort and computes a new empty weight and moment arm. But the document
doesn't state the gross weight.

Mine doesn't. The gross weight and the CG envelope are listed in the
operating limitations book. The Type Certificate requires the
equipment list AND the operating limitations book.

There's no specific requirement for W&B paperwork in the regs despite
what your flight instructor told you.
Old October 16th 05, 03:55 PM
Ron Natalie

Newps wrote:

I have never seen a W+B that didn't list the gross weight.

Mine doesn't, not even the original factory one did.

Old October 16th 05, 04:44 PM
Don Hammer

I have never seen a W+B that didn't list the gross weight.

If you are talking Max Gross Weight, transport category aircraft don't
list it with the last weigh job or re-calculation. It is however
listed elsewhere in the Type Certificate Data Sheet, Weight and
Balance Manual and the Limitation section of the AFM.

Long and short of it is there is no requirement to have that
limitation listed with the new weight and balance calculations.
Old October 16th 05, 06:26 PM
Andrew Gideon

Ron Natalie wrote:

There's no specific requirement for W&B paperwork in the regs despite
what your flight instructor told you.

I have found 23.1583, which states that maximum weight and center of gravity
limits are part of the aircraft manual, and 23.1519 which states that
weight and CG limits are a part of operating limitations.

But what's the documentation requirement for equipment changes which alter
one or more of these factors? 23.21 discusses this for type certification,
but not for upgrades.

I've found nothing which discusses that. I'd have expected something in
part 43, but I'm not seeing it.

- Andrew

Old October 16th 05, 06:29 PM
Andrew Gideon

Ron Natalie wrote:

Mine doesn't.Â*Â*TheÂ*grossÂ*weightÂ*andÂ*theÂ*CGÂ*enve lopeÂ*areÂ*listedÂ*inÂ*the
operating limitations book.Â*Â*Â*TheÂ*TypeÂ*CertificateÂ*requiresÂ*the
equipment list AND the operating limitations book.

But what documentation is required for aircraft changes which alter the
empty weight and CG? If that documentation doesn't list the gross weight,
is it safe (ie. safe in a ramp check {8^) to assume that it's unchanged?

- Andrew

Old October 16th 05, 10:48 PM
Newps

Andrew Gideon wrote:

Ron Natalie wrote:

Mine doesn't. The gross weight and the CG envelope are listed in the
operating limitations book. The Type Certificate requires the
equipment list AND the operating limitations book.

But what documentation is required for aircraft changes which alter the
empty weight and CG? If that documentation doesn't list the gross weight,
is it safe (ie. safe in a ramp check {8^) to assume that it's unchanged?

You're talking empty weight. Gross weight is the max the airplane can
weigh.

Old October 16th 05, 11:54 PM
George Patterson

Newps wrote:

I have never seen a W+B that didn't list the gross weight.

IIRC, the one for my Maule didn't. It was listed elsewhere in the owner's manual.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.

Gross Weight Fred Choate Piloting 153 July 14th 05 12:19 AM
Max gross weight Chris Piloting 21 October 5th 04 08:22 PM
Apache Alternate Gross Weight Jim Burns Owning 1 July 6th 04 05:15 PM
Buying an L-2 Robert M. Gary Piloting 13 May 25th 04 04:03 AM
F35 cost goes up. Pat Carpenter Military Aviation 116 April 11th 04 07:32 PM