Engine Recomendations

Old October 15th 05, 08:51 PM

Default Engine Recomendations

Today was not a good day for the Baron. While replacing a cylinder I found
a crack (confirmed with Dye Pent) off the #5 cylinder leading up towards the
case halves.

The engine has 2750 Hr since new and about 1000 Hr since a TW Smith
overhaul. The case is repairable, but it seems like a waste to not do the
overhaul.

The question is has anyone recently purchased a Factory New engine? The
cost is about $4K more but the parts are not a mix of old parts.

The engine is an IO-470L.

Any thoughts and opinions will be a great help.

Paul

Old October 16th 05, 02:12 AM
Matt Barrow

"f" wrote in message
Today was not a good day for the Baron. While replacing a cylinder I
found a crack (confirmed with Dye Pent) off the #5 cylinder leading up
towards the case halves.

The engine has 2750 Hr since new and about 1000 Hr since a TW Smith
overhaul. The case is repairable, but it seems like a waste to not do
the overhaul.

The question is has anyone recently purchased a Factory New engine? The
cost is about $4K more but the parts are not a mix of old parts.

The engine is an IO-470L.

Any thoughts and opinions will be a great help.

Why buy a factory engine when so many of the after market plants are so much
better? The better shops do NOT use mixed parts.

http://www.superiorairparts.com/

http://www.westernskyways.com/

http://www.txskyways.com/

Good luck!!

Old October 16th 05, 06:49 AM
Jim Burns

While replacing a cylinder I found
a crack (confirmed with Dye Pent) off the #5 cylinder leading up towards

the
case halves....
The case is repairable, but it seems like a waste to not do the
overhaul.

So, you're saying the case itself is cracked? If so, the question you must
have answered is how much you will get for your core. If "$0.00" is the
answer, then you will probably need to look deeper into your checking
account or consider the repair more closely.

Jim

Old October 16th 05, 12:20 PM
Dan Luke

"Newps" wrote:

I wouldn't touch Continental or Millenium cylinders with a 10 foot
pole.

I know Continentals are cheese; what's wrong with Milleniums?

Old October 16th 05, 01:26 PM

The case is repairable and should be acceptable to Continental. The core
deposit is $10,000 on top of the $30K for the engine so you are correct if
it is not accepted their will be an additional charge, but I believe that
the case charge is $2,500 if the total case is unserviceable. In this case
I think they will accept the core. Any thought on new engines?

Paul

Old October 16th 05, 03:51 PM
Newps

Dan Luke wrote:
"Newps" wrote:

I wouldn't touch Continental or Millenium cylinders with a 10 foot
pole.

I know Continentals are cheese; what's wrong with Milleniums?

They are good cylinders until you need warranty work. When I had my 182
I was considering putting the Pponk engine on it earlier this spring.
It is basically a carb'd 520 that puts out 275 HP. The guy that owns
Pponk is famous in Cessna circles for the quality of his work. He won't
sell you a Millenium cylinder. He used to push them but then the
company gave him and everybody else so much grief over customer service
issues that he stopped selling them. Millenium is like JPI, the
products can be good but the company treats its customers like dirt.
Old October 16th 05, 04:35 PM
Jim Burns

Looking down the road a ways, I would think that you would get more $$ out
of your Baron, should you decide to sell, if it has the factory new engine
rather than the rebuild or the repaired case, possibly even more than enough
to cover the difference in cost. You've got an expensive airplane and
nothing speaks louder to buyers of complex high performance airplanes than
logbooks showing that "no expense was spared". I don't think going "factory
new" would be a bad move, remember, you also get the full factory warrantee
if you do.
Jim

. ..

Old October 16th 05, 07:34 PM
Doug

My experience and what others tell me is factory new engines last
longer until overhaul. After all, they are NEW. It makes a difference.
Ideally it shouldn't, but it does.

Old October 16th 05, 10:45 PM
Newps

Doug wrote:
My experience and what others tell me is factory new engines last
longer until overhaul. After all, they are NEW. It makes a difference.
Ideally it shouldn't, but it does.

Perhaps with Lycoming. I wouldn't want a factory new Continental
because that means Continental cylinders.

Gyrocopter Speed Mark Rotorcraft 36 August 16th 05 11:28 PM
Proposals for air breathing hypersonic craft. I Robert Clark Military Aviation 2 May 26th 04 06:42 PM
Car engine FAA certified for airplane use Cy Galley Home Built 10 February 6th 04 03:03 PM
What if the germans... Charles Gray Military Aviation 119 January 26th 04 11:20 PM
Real stats on engine failures? Captain Wubba Piloting 127 December 8th 03 04:09 PM