EL Cockpit Lighting?

Old October 19th 05, 04:41 PM
JB

Default EL Cockpit Lighting?

Is anyone using electroluminescent lighting in their cockpit? My 1979
Warrior has small bulbs behind the cluster and the lighting has never
been great. A scan usually involves holding a flashlight! I was
interested in the 2" wide EL strips that go under the glareshield and
are sold by several companies. But thought I would ask around before
ordering.

Any users out there who can list pros/cons??

THanks!!

--JB

Old October 19th 05, 05:04 PM
Marco Leon

Take the plastic panel off and look at your bulbs. My 1978 Warrior had dark
blue "rubbers" on each of the light bulbs that decreased their
effectiveness. Take them off and see if it's enough. It worked for me. You
can also by replacement bulbs at most any Radio Shack.

Marco Leon

oups.com...

http://www.usenet.com
Old October 19th 05, 05:13 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"Marco Leon" mmleon(at)yahoo.com wrote in message
Take the plastic panel off and look at your bulbs. My 1978 Warrior had
dark
blue "rubbers" on each of the light bulbs ...

But now you have to worry about a bunch of baby bulbs.

Old October 19th 05, 05:17 PM
Blanche

When I took the panel off the pa28, I found all the GE53 bulbs were
painted red. Definitely archaic. So I dropped by the local lighting
supply store and bought a couple dozen of the clear bulbs. Replaced
everything behind the panel except the bottom left corner (can't
reach it no matter what!).

No further problem reading/seeing any instrument, and it cost less
than $20 in lamps.

Old October 19th 05, 05:19 PM
Marco Leon

"Gig 601XL Builder" wr.giacona@coxDOTnet wrote in message

But now you have to worry about a bunch of baby bulbs.

The POQ method always worked for me. Trust me, once he takes those things
off, the difference will be, uh, night and day. He'll never put them on
again.

http://www.usenet.com
Old October 19th 05, 05:20 PM

Blanche wrote:
: When I took the panel off the pa28, I found all the GE53 bulbs were
: painted red. Definitely archaic. So I dropped by the local lighting
: supply store and bought a couple dozen of the clear bulbs. Replaced
: everything behind the panel except the bottom left corner (can't
: reach it no matter what!).

: No further problem reading/seeing any instrument, and it cost less
: than $20 in lamps.

I'm a believer in colored lights for the cockpit, but I prefer green as the
eyes are more sensitive to green. Has anyone tried green GE53 bulbs in a panel?

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old October 19th 05, 06:07 PM
JB

Actually, I've "been there, done that". The rubbers are off!! The
fuel gauges below are barely visible and the suction guage and ammeter
on the right side have no light at all!!

Old October 19th 05, 11:01 PM
Victor J. Osborne, Jr.

Had the same problem. After reading you last response I thought I'd chime
in. Did the NuLites on my Archer. Worked like a charm. Slip out the
instruments Lay in the NuLites, tie the VERY THIN wire leads into a rheostat
line and your done. Add A&P signoff to mix.

--

Thx, {|;-)

Victor J. (Jim) Osborne, Jr.

oups.com...

Old October 20th 05, 01:34 AM
Dave

This took about 3 seconds to kick in... but...

...best laugh today!

Dave

Old October 21st 05, 05:00 PM
john smith

In article .com,
"JB" wrote:

Is anyone using electroluminescent lighting in their cockpit? My 1979
Warrior has small bulbs behind the cluster and the lighting has never
been great. A scan usually involves holding a flashlight! I was
interested in the 2" wide EL strips that go under the glareshield and
are sold by several companies. But thought I would ask around before
ordering.
Any users out there who can list pros/cons??

EL lighting is nice in that it doesn't kill your night vision and can be
run off an independent/backup power supply (9V batteries).
There are commercial suppliers that you can order the length, width, and
color of strip you want and the necessary power inverter for much less
than you will pay for someone who puts the words "airplane" or
"aviation" in front of the product they are trying to sell you.
I have several three-foot lengths of EL rope and a couple of EL Krill
lights that I carry for emergency cockpit lighting.