Tiedown Stakes (Article in SportAv.)

Old April 23rd 04, 01:51 AM
Bob Fry

Or better. My wife got me a set of these

http://www.airtimemfg.com/

Or yet better. A friend used these at OSH, they were the best I'd
seen:

http://www.theclaw.com/products/claw.php
Old April 23rd 04, 02:03 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 09:11:56 -0700, Richard Riley
wrote:

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 21:22:41 +0800, Stealth Pilot
wrote:

all the rest of the world went metric years
ago

For which we should blame the French.

Well, the French were *responsible*...but I don't know if you can really
blame them. You see, they *had* the English system of measurement. With
one important difference: The inch was about 10% longer.

As you can imagine, this plays the very devil if you have any dealings with
other countries. Nautical charts, for instance...if the chart says the
depth is two fathoms, you'd like to know if they're ENGLISH or French
fathoms.

Probably the most enduring legacy of this is the popular perception of
Napoleon Bonaparte. Everybody jokes about how short he was. But his
height was recorded in *French* inches. He was actually about five feet
eight inches tall, about average for back then.

The mathematical relationships that formed the basis for the metric system
probably had less advantage than just getting rid of the old terminology.
No longer was there the danger that someone would assume the wrong "inch";
now *everyone* didn't know how long 25 centimeters was. :-)

A 20th century example of the same sort of confusion was solved by Stalin.
He'd been invited to attend a demonstration firing of the new 120 mm
artillery rocket, but when the soldiers opened the ammo case, it contained
120 mm howitzer shells. Stalin then ordered that the official designation
of ammunition caliber be unique. Those rockets, for instance, might be
designated 121 mm despite their being 120 mm across.

When I went to Space Camp three years ago, there were a couple of Aussies
there who did have trouble with the use of the English measurements used by
the program. I ended up doing a lot of quick conversions for them....

Ron Wanttaja
Old April 23rd 04, 03:21 AM
Morgans

"Richard Riley" wrote in message
On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 01:12:18 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

:
:Right. Just don't think that all corkscrews are created equal. The
:hardware store, or dog steaks, "will" twist off at OSH. They have to be
:spring steel.

Or better. My wife got me a set of these
http://www.airtimemfg.com/

Nice!!!
--
Jim in NC

---

Old April 23rd 04, 03:23 AM
Morgans

"nauga" wrote in message
ink.net...
Morgans wrote...

The hardware store, or dog steaks, "will" twist off at OSH.

Mmmmm...dog steaks.

Dave 'Homer' hyde

Chuckle! Gim'e a brake! It was late! g
--
Jim in NC

---

Old April 23rd 04, 04:00 AM
Rick Pellicciotti

wrote:

:
:Right. Just don't think that all corkscrews are created equal. The
:hardware store, or dog steaks, "will" twist off at OSH. They have to be
:spring steel.

Or better. My wife got me a set of these
http://www.airtimemfg.com/

Richard,
You have the second best wife on earth!

Rick Pellicciotti
http://www.belleaireaviation.com

Old April 23rd 04, 04:23 AM
alexy

"Morgans" wrote:

"nauga" wrote in message
link.net...
Morgans wrote...

The hardware store, or dog steaks, "will" twist off at OSH.

Mmmmm...dog steaks.

Dave 'Homer' hyde

Chuckle! Gim'e a brake!

So you can stop and not turn Fido into dog steaks? g
--
Alex
Old April 23rd 04, 04:35 AM
Dave S

I bought my CLAW at OSH 93... I love it. I have added nylon
strap/buckle/hooks for the tie downs instead of the rope and have been
very happy with it.

Dave

Old April 23rd 04, 07:26 AM
Richard Riley

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 22:00:30 -0500, Rick Pellicciotti
wrote:

:Richard,
:You have the second best wife on earth!

You don't know the half of it.

Earlier this month on my birthday, she woke me up and told me that
from July 27 to Aug 2 she's taking the baby to her annual girl's
retreat in Ramona. And handed me an airline ticket to Oshkosh.
Old April 23rd 04, 07:51 PM
Wright1902Glider

Heh... I did mention that the chunks of concrete were for tieing down INSIDE
the hangar, right? For the record, my glider weighs 118 lbs and has 319 sq.
ft. of wing. Biplane wings, stalls at about 14kts. Tieing down is very
important to me. And wing walkers... gonna need wing walkers too...

Harry
Wright 1902 Glider #7
Wright 1899 kite
Wright 1878 Bat

Celebrate Freedom Festival, Camden, SC, Nov. 5-7, 2004. We'll be in one of
the big hangars.
Old April 23rd 04, 09:35 PM
David Munday

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 01:03:42 GMT, Ron Wanttaja
wrote:

The mathematical relationships that formed the basis for the metric system
probably had less advantage than just getting rid of the old terminology.
No longer was there the danger that someone would assume the wrong "inch";
now *everyone* didn't know how long 25 centimeters was. :-)

So how many seconds of burn is that?

A 20th century example of the same sort of confusion was solved by Stalin.
He'd been invited to attend a demonstration firing of the new 120 mm
artillery rocket, but when the soldiers opened the ammo case, it contained
120 mm howitzer shells. Stalin then ordered that the official designation
of ammunition caliber be unique. Those rockets, for instance, might be
designated 121 mm despite their being 120 mm across.

And of course a .357 and a .38 are the same diameter.

When I went to Space Camp three years ago, there were a couple of Aussies
there who did have trouble with the use of the English measurements used by
the program. I ended up doing a lot of quick conversions for them....

F-ing GE still uses english units in designing turbomachinery. (I
think Pratt does too.) There're extra g's and J's all over the place.
Getting rid of that crap is reason enough to put up with any amount of
French rationalism.

--
David Munday -
Webpage: